Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
I love the little green frogs I call them "refrigerator frogs" because they look like little magnet frogs you could put on the fridge

The are beneficial and eat many insects

I agree with getting some books and exploring the wonders of Florida's nature
Karla, I agree with you totally. But you still have to realize that some people are naturally squeamish about frogs and anything slimy and no amount of education wll change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM

27 posts, read 143,091 times
LOL...thanks for all the great advice. However, I think I am going to pass on "kissing it"! All this wonderful Florida nature is not what I expected however it makes our move very interesting. Yesterday, my kids and I came home from the store and two large frogs were sitting by our door. So we got back into the car and waited until it was time to pick up Dad! I will try picking up some books on frogs and try the salt water spray.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAChessMom View Post
LOL...thanks for all the great advice. However, I think I am going to pass on "kissing it"! All this wonderful Florida nature is not what I expected however it makes our move very interesting. Yesterday, my kids and I came home from the store and two large frogs were sitting by our door. So we got back into the car and waited until it was time to pick up Dad! I will try picking up some books on frogs and try the salt water spray.
Well, if you start to see a ton of bees and those large flying grasshoppers then maybe you're apart of a new Omen movie. Seriously, those frogs can be annoying but so can the large flying grasshoppers. Have you encountered those yet? I don't which one is nastier.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Well, if you start to see a ton of bees and those large flying grasshoppers then maybe you're apart of a new Omen movie. Seriously, those frogs can be annoying but so can the large flying grasshoppers. Have you encountered those yet? I don't which one is nastier.
haha oh a grasshopper! I haven't seen one in years......

we get interesting creatures in hawaii......huge roaches, geckos (they don't bother me), large bullfrogs and toads, centipedes (shudder)....no snakes.......

still I'm ready to get to florida.....in about a month!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
In France they eat frog's legs and they're considered a delicacy.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,271 times
Yeah I heard they taste like chicken.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
I lived on Sanibel Island for a couple of years and we had all sorts of creatures crawling around. Once when I was in the shower, I reached for the faucet and felt something squishy. It was a large frog! OMG - it started to jump all over the place. I'm sure it was a lot more frightened than I was. Some kids fishing outside offered to catch it, but one of them mentioned using it for bait, so I changed my mind. I finally got it out of the house safely. In Bonita Springs, where I lived for many years, we had iguanas, although they're not indigenous to Florida. They've become a big problem in some areas like Sanibel and Boca Grande where there are thousands of them.

I'm staying in Vero Beach now and, even in this big condo development, there are a lot of little frogs. They are really cute. I like the expression "refrigerator frogs." They do look like little magnets. I haven't seen any of them in the unit, however, I keep finding lizards. I caught a couple of small lizards (not easy) and placed them outside.

The alligator that swims by everyday is a whole different story.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In France they eat frog's legs and they're considered a delicacy.
Strangely enough, you'll find them more common in Chinese buffets than anywhere else.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

31 posts, read 70,521 times
A couple of years ago my finance and I were out house hunting with our realtor. As we came up to the front door of this house, we notice one of the little green frogs above the door. Well, also above the door about 8 inches away from it, there's this love bug and it's walking right towards the frog . . . and it keeps walking right towards it . . . frog didn't move except to open it's mouth and the love bug walked right into it!! One of the funniest and most amazing things we have ever seen. Talk about an easy catch

Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Sounds more like a toad than a frog since you're stating they are "large".

Toads look kind of "bumpy" and frogs are usually "smooth" skinned. Knowing which one you have can help you in detering them.

A bright front porch light will attract the bugs that in turn attract the bug-eaters. Switching to a dimmer "yellow" bulb may help. I use the yellow bulbs for my outside lights to keep the bug attraction down, it might help at your place too.

They truly are beneficial and they struggle enough for their survival, I don't see any point in trying to do them harm. The saltwater will harm them.

Here's a link to the different frogs and toads of Florida:

Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville