Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:20 PM

157 posts, read 601,148 times

Advertisements

I have come to the same conclusions that you have!
Orange Park is more affordable, and seems to have very good schools, I'm just worried about the traffic to work everyday.
Fruit Cove, Zwitzerland, are also attractive.
I guess one needs to be there and do some driving to figure all of it out.
Keep me informed and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 04:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Hi granitelady!
I have narrowed it down to 3 areas......Orange Park, "Southside" (Julington Creek, Mandarin) and Intracoastal West area. Orange Park has become my top pick atm, but I will know more when I go down there after my daughter gets out of school in June. I'll let ya know.
lulu
be sure to let us know the dates you are coming
we can all meet up for lunch

did somone say pizza !!!

karla

Old 05-20-2007, 02:07 PM

688 posts, read 2,836,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
lulu
be sure to let us know the dates you are coming
we can all meet up for lunch

did somone say pizza !!!

karla

I will definitely LOVE to! Will let you all know!
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
Hi, I was reading all the posts above and I'm really glad I came upon this site. But I have one question for anyone who can answer it...I'm on public housing for right now until i finish school, I have one child and he wil be 2 soon, I just want to know are there any low income/public houses in a nice neighborhood in Jacksonville FL?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Ther are plenty of low-rent prpperties in fine neighborhoods, but aren't offically "public housing". As for offical public housing, there are places all over...even in some of the stereotypical "nicer" neighborhoods at the Beaches and Mandarin.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Hi granitelady!
I have narrowed it down to 3 areas......Orange Park, "Southside" (Julington Creek, Mandarin) and Intracoastal West area. Orange Park has become my top pick atm, but I will know more when I go down there after my daughter gets out of school in June. I'll let ya know.
good luck! We moved from hawaii and ended up in Oakleaf Plantation in Orange Park........schools were number one on our list and I am very pleased with the elementary and junior high. My son will be at the brand new high school they are finishing up and it's quite impressive.

We are very happy with our choice for our family........eventually I will want a larger lot, but Oakleaf has been great for the kids and us. Message me if you have questions.....

amy

Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
good luck! We moved from hawaii and ended up in Oakleaf Plantation in Orange Park........schools were number one on our list and I am very pleased with the elementary and junior high. My son will be at the brand new high school they are finishing up and it's quite impressive.

We are very happy with our choice for our family........eventually I will want a larger lot, but Oakleaf has been great for the kids and us. Message me if you have questions.....

amy
What schools do Oakleaf kids attend?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 PM

9 posts, read 20,242 times
hi to all...I am also moving into the area..4 kids one is off to college so not to worried about her but the rest are two in HS and one in 6th grade. I am coming from denver and my kids are attending private schools now. My kids are also big time swimmers so that plays a big role. I have looked at two schools that I think are good. Bolles and Bishop Kenny. Bolles I see cost 18K a year and we were paying 10k so it is a little more than what we did before so not sure if it is worth it? Bishop Kenny looks great..much less then what we paid for before but I want to make sure it is a good school. We came from a strong academic and atheletic school so would like to do the same again. Also public schools are not out of the question as long as they are good. Any info would be good. Also as far as neighborhoods we have a varied range of price We are looking at 350,000-800,000. My husband will work by the 10 295..we would like a minimal commute for both school and work...we drive to much in denver! We have looked at the ortega area which seemed nice...any other options that people could recomend? We have done new homes every time we have moved, which we like to do..but also like the idea of an older home in a older established neigborhood. We will move again in 4 years so we want something we can make some money off of!
Thanks
Denver girl

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-denver View Post
hi to all...I am also moving into the area..4 kids one is off to college so not to worried about her but the rest are two in HS and one in 6th grade. I am coming from denver and my kids are attending private schools now. My kids are also big time swimmers so that plays a big role. I have looked at two schools that I think are good. Bolles and Bishop Kenny. Bolles I see cost 18K a year and we were paying 10k so it is a little more than what we did before so not sure if it is worth it? Bishop Kenny looks great..much less then what we paid for before but I want to make sure it is a good school. We came from a strong academic and atheletic school so would like to do the same again. Also public schools are not out of the question as long as they are good. Any info would be good. Also as far as neighborhoods we have a varied range of price We are looking at 350,000-800,000. My husband will work by the 10 295..we would like a minimal commute for both school and work...we drive to much in denver! We have looked at the ortega area which seemed nice...any other options that people could recomend? We have done new homes every time we have moved, which we like to do..but also like the idea of an older home in a older established neigborhood. We will move again in 4 years so we want something we can make some money off of!
Thanks
Denver girl
We are also in the process of relocating, so all my info just comes from research I have done and limited visits to the area. However, schools are our top priority, and overall, St Johns County schools (especially high schools) seem to have the best test scores, along with good athletics and academic programs. Nease HS stands out as one of the best in the country. Clay and Duval each seem to have 1 or 2 excellent high schools, but Duval's are magnet schools and use a lottery system.

As far as a house, you're buying at a good time, but if you plan to move in 4 years, you might want to look into a more established neighborhood. We noticed that a lot of the new construction areas are huge projects, so in 4 years, you may still be competing with the builders and new homes. Take a look at the Ponte Vedra Beach area - there are a lot of nice, established neighborhoods there with excellent schools at all levels. Commute distances are all relative, but we've found that what some people say is "way too far" is actually just fine.

Good luck with the move!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
What schools do Oakleaf kids attend?

Thanks!
elementary has two schools in Oakleaf, Oakleaf Village Elementary and Plantation Oaks Elementary. They all filter into one junior high, Oakleaf Jr. High and next year all Oakleaf kids will go to a brand new high school, Oakleaf High School.

We wouldn't have bought if there wasn't a new high school out here. I didn't want my kids to go to Orange Park High School......if we didn't buy here we'd be in Fleming Island or over in Julington Creek.

there isn't alot of info on the schools online though......Plantation Oaks Elementary is new and Oakleaf Jr. High is the former Oakleaf School. It used to be K-8, but it is now the Jr. High (6-8) because they built Plantation Oaks.

the new high school seems to be heading in the right direction. we're very pleased with what we have seen of it so far.

Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville