Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Our family is looking to move to the Julington Creek area soon. My husband is looking for a job in the area. He has a Marketing degree from Kennesaw State University. He was a Golf Club Teaching Pro for 12 years. It would be great if he could find a sales position in the Golf/Sports industry so if anyone has any leads in that area please let me know!

We also are looking for a preschool for our 4 year old. Does anyone have any recomendations?

One more thing, I am terrified of alligators. Is the Julington area a safe place? I think I would have a heart attack if I saw an alligator in my yard! Are they uncommon to find in neighborhoods such as Julington Creek Plantation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Check this thread out: Alligators and Snakes in Jax or St. Augustine

and this story from this morning's TU: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/c...les_hanna_park

You can never rule out your neighborhood as being a place where a gator will not reside. Its Florida.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
One thing for sure, there ARE gators here in the Jax waters! A month of so ago, a guy where my wife works (downtown) told her that he seen a gator cruising down the St. John's River! So far, we haven't seen any yet, BUT our day will come and hopefully I will have our cameras with me!
Please read below.

From Thread that ljfamily replied to:
We are fairly new to Florida but we have a boat. We love tubing and swimming in Julington Creek. I was told that gators will not bother you if swimming tubing skiing etc... we have seen them but they have always been at the edges and in near the trees. We live in Fruit Cove and it is very convienient to the water. I would be leary of tubing in the St Johns only because it can get pretty choppy. There is also doctors inlet that I see people in the water. There is so much to do here and we have 3 boys to keep busy and they love the water! Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 PM

310 posts, read 868,544 times
I may sound like a broken record, but you would be wise to NOT move to this area unless a job is already lined up.

JCP is pretty good with keeping on eye on the gators, so no worries. We live just south of there and on a waterway and have never seen a gator here, just lots of other great wildlife.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Wife and I very much agree with below concerning the job thing! We have been here since January and I'm still looking for a job. Wife is working for a Contract thru an Agency and, luckly, that Contract has been extended 3 times now......or she would be out of a job! The job situation here right now is NOT good and I emphase the word "NOT" very much!! If you do decide to come here......GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
I may sound like a broken record, but you would be wise to NOT move to this area unless a job is already lined up.

JCP is pretty good with keeping on eye on the gators, so no worries. We live just south of there and on a waterway and have never seen a gator here, just lots of other great wildlife.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM

60 posts, read 257,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryman5 View Post
Hey there. Our family is looking to move to the Julington Creek area soon. My husband is looking for a job in the area. He has a Marketing degree from Kennesaw State University. He was a Golf Club Teaching Pro for 12 years. It would be great if he could find a sales position in the Golf/Sports industry so if anyone has any leads in that area please let me know!

We also are looking for a preschool for our 4 year old. Does anyone have any recomendations?

One more thing, I am terrified of alligators. Is the Julington area a safe place? I think I would have a heart attack if I saw an alligator in my yard! Are they uncommon to find in neighborhoods such as Julington Creek Plantation?
For the Golf job your husband may want to contact the World Golf Village Golf Academy....

PGA Tour Golf Academy - Golf Schools, Instruction and Lessons in Florida

Alligators can show up anywhere there is water...ie: lakes (well I call them ponds, they are not lake size by any means). So NEVER let your children swim in them!! That's why there are community pools.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...t_common_sense

Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 AM

90 posts, read 247,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I very much agree with below concerning the job thing! We have been here since January and I'm still looking for a job. Wife is working for a Contract thru an Agency and, luckly, that Contract has been extended 3 times now......or she would be out of a job! The job situation here right now is NOT good and I emphase the word "NOT" very much!! If you do decide to come here......GOOD LUCK!!!
I agree with the job situation. I left Jax b/c I worked at a place that laid me off and then rehired me..to cut my hours again. I couldn't get a break on a new job so I left a month ago to Daytona. I lived in a small apartment building and NO one was working. They were all looking. Shame. I hope after summer things will pick up again everywhere. Jax has a very high unemployment rate.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 PM

60 posts, read 189,746 times
There are plenty of golfing communities to check in to for jobs:

Jax Golf and Country Club
Ponte Vedra Inn and Club
Sawgrass Country Club
Marsh Landing
Queens Harbour
Glen Kernan
Windsor Parke

Those are just off the top of my head for southside/beaches area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville