Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 PM

5 posts, read 23,843 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Jacksonville in a few months. I'm in my late 20s, single, and am looking for a neighborhood that has restaurants, bars, and young people. If possible I'd like the convenience of being able to walk to as many places as possible...out to dinner, out for drinks, etc.

It seems like San Marco and Riverside are the two places in Jax for these sorts of things. Can anyone compare/contrast these two area for me?? I will likely be renting and will be happy with just about anything...small apartment or condo will do just fine. I'm more interested in the location and being in somewhat of a "happening" spot.

Thanks a lot!
KO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,708,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmufunc View Post
I'm moving to Jacksonville in a few months. I'm in my late 20s, single, and am looking for a neighborhood that has restaurants, bars, and young people. If possible I'd like the convenience of being able to walk to as many places as possible...out to dinner, out for drinks, etc.

It seems like San Marco and Riverside are the two places in Jax for these sorts of things. Can anyone compare/contrast these two area for me?? I will likely be renting and will be happy with just about anything...small apartment or condo will do just fine. I'm more interested in the location and being in somewhat of a "happening" spot.

Thanks a lot!
KO
Bro, depends on what you want. If you want that artsy/punkster scene with the bars and coffee shops to match as well as some restuarants like The Brick, Riverside is ur spot. If you want a more upscale bar/club environment with the restaurants to match, San Marco is ur spot.

Another spot that you didn't mention and that is on the come up, Downtown. I can name six bars/clubs off the top of my head that are within walking distance with three of those being in the same venue, The Landing. There is another bar that is going to open this summer that will have a roof bar as well as inside bars and that place will be in walking distance of the others. Plus there's more to come. The restaurant selection maybe a bit more spotty in downtown than the other areas you mentioned, but once again The Landing does provides some restaurants. All of three of those area have young people in your age bracket with Riverside and downtown probably containing a wee bit more than San Marco. But SM by no stretch is older and the average age is probably somewhere between 27 and 35 whereas in Riverside it's probably more like 18 to 30 while Downtown is probably more like 23 to 30.

I posted in another thread about the other areas to party in the city and I'll give the link here. http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ville-jax.html

Just scroll down to my post.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,361,873 times
Do you have a job lined up already (know where you'll be working)?

Riverside and San Marco are both nice areas, as is Downtown.

Maybe you can describe to us the kinds of places you like to hang out - do you prefer punk or polished?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:49 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,093,048 times
Riverside definitely, both are very nice with lots to do, but Riverside probably has more. It is becoming even more upscale as well on top of the hipster scene.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,361,873 times
San Marco is getting that new shopping destination on Atlantic...slated to open in 2009 I think?

It's supposed to be boutique type shopping with residential condos on top...it's going to expand on the current San Marco square (will be very walkable too).

It's a big project everyone is looking forward too - San Marco will finally get it's own Publix too (I think the closest one has been the one in Lakewood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville