U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,174 times
what should I do about people parking in front of my mail box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM

25 posts, read 60,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locinstall View Post
what should I do about people parking in front of my mail box?
Do you know who is doing it? Did you ask them to move?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,523,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Seriously? Is this a written USPS rule or law? USPS carriers still get out of their trucks and walk to put mail in old mailboxes mounted on the front of houses in some towns in the area where I live. They do this if it is pouring rain or if there is 3 feet of fresh snow on the ground.
In many towns and cities in the northeast, mail carriers walk their entire routes -- going up and down long flights of front steps all day long, in all sorts of weather.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,967 times
If you have mounted delivery, the mail person is not to get out of the vehicle except to deliver oversized parcels and accountable items (certified letter and such). It is not that you shouldn't block the mailbox, but also the approach and departure from the box. Backing up is an extreme no-no and should your carrier hit your vehicle, it could cost them their job. Geesh, hate to have you inconvienced just so the carrier keeps their job! Carrier would also be in trouble if they left the vehicle to put the mail in your box and fell or got bit by a dog. First thing USPS would ask is "Why did you get out?". Not to mention your carrier has HUNDREDS of customers, you keep getting out for blocked boxes, and no one is ever gonna take the time and effort not to block them. Block your own box, so you are the one not getting mail! I don't blame your neighbor at all! Sometimes moving the box is the answer, put it next to another box. The carrier is paid to pull up to the mailbox and put the mail in the box, not pqark, turn wheels, set brake turn off engine remove keys, and get out!!! How about telling the carrier where you work so they could make your job harder?

By the way, rural sub jobs are a dime a dozen, if it is so easy, APPLY!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojobj View Post
It sounds to me like there are quite a few mail carriers chimimg in here. I wouldn't be surprised if they are paid by the USPSto sit at home answering forums and blogs like this.
SO let me get this right, most of you would rathe a poor WOMAN walk blocks in the rain rather than the paid DRIVER (a carrier actually carries the mail) to walk a few feet.?
Z3rO, I say screw 'em and keep parking there and if your mail isn't delivered, go straight to your governmental agency in your area and let them know what is going on. It's totally unreasonable to expect you to put up with that. Also, your neighbor doesn't own the street and anyone can park anywhere there is space on a public street. If all fails, keep parking there and get a PO Box where you can get your mail, there more secure anway, and obstruct your neighbor's mailbox......since it'snot illegal to park in front of a mailbox.
I'm so sorry you have such nasty neighbors. The rest of you bloggers should be ashamed of yourself. Kharma baby!!!!

Yes, I am a Postal employee, I think it would be helpful for Z3rO to get the facts from the other side. Complain all you want, the carrier is not required to dismount at any box that is habitually blocked. An occassional worker (cable, roofer) is another matter, and not the customers fault.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,063 times
Don't you just love our hardworking government workers like nellutgen? I don't know what we would do without them. I can't imagine doing something as hard as standing-up.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:02 AM

120 posts, read 154,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleHyde215 View Post
Don't you just love our hardworking government workers like nellutgen? I don't know what we would do without them. I can't imagine doing something as hard as standing-up.

I would say his post was informative, credible, and added content to the thread. Your post on the other hand impressed me as childish, self centered and served no purpose at all. Nice first post.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 PM

35 posts, read 49,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
I would say his post was informative, credible, and added content to the thread. Your post on the other hand impressed me as childish, self centered and served no purpose at all. Nice first post.

I have to agree. Im amazed the post went this long without more childish comments. BTT: They have a job to do and you are disrupting it, plain and simple. The OP should have just addressed this asap.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM

9,342 posts, read 15,591,777 times
No complaints about my letter carrier. He is great.

If parking in front of community mailboxes is a problem, contact the city and have a No Parking sign installed. Then call the popo and have the offenders ticketed when they are blocking access. Works like a charm. We've never had anyone make the same mistake more than two times in our neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,481 times
does anyone know the legal requirements, how many feet, a neighbor, should park, from their neighbors
curb mail box. this should be common sense, and some kindness, but, we are squeezed into this cul-de-sac, and some people have six or more cars. I am in my eighties, and I only want my mail, delivered. I watch the kind mail lady struggle constantly, daily, to get around the rude neighbors big truck!! The rude neighbor is out of work, but should they take out their anger on me?? This neighbor keeps their truck there almost all day. I have difficulty getting my mail out, this truck is so close to my mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville