U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 53,291 times

Advertisements

so my neighbor came up to me and told me the mail lady has been giving him written citations about my truck being parked in from of his mail box.

it sits almost 3 feet behind it. with about 3 feet before i block a drive way
now i could understand if i parked in from of the mailboxes and was actually blocking them.
nope she's pissed because she has to get out of the truck to put the mail in the boxes.

this was the 3rd time i was told by a neighbor that she has complained about the truck being parked there. i have talked with here and been outside multiple times while working on the truck. she never says a word to me.

I am honestly thinking about lodging a formal complaint to the post office. Does anyone know any laws and such that could help me out. i will also start going around at night and shoot pics of cars that are doing the same as my truck. also will switch to the time stamp and date stamp the pictures to show how my truck was parked daily.

I am extremely livid right now

i can NOT park my truck anywhere else. the truck doesn't even sit in front of my house because there is nowhere to park. i could nose up the on the blazer, but that would block the mailboxes.

PLEASE HELP

I just measured and the truck is 70 inches from the closest mailbox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 AM

859 posts, read 2,472,905 times
Sorry about your parking situation. However, the mail delivery person has the right not to make the deliver if they can't they can't access the mailbox without getting out of the car. At the same time, it's not illegal to park in front of the mail box unless if you live in HOA community with such local ordinance code.
Assuming you're not blocking your neighbors mailbox also, your neighbor may just be annoyed of truck being parked near them. Is is a small street? I believe it is a violation if the parked cars are preventing the cars from getting through safely. Unless it's privately owned street, all the street are city owned and public access, homeowners does not own the curb.

Take some pictures and go talk nicely with your local postal office to see if there's any serious issues.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 AM

754 posts, read 1,785,649 times
nope she's pissed because she has to get out of the truck to put the mail in the boxes.

So what is she supposed to do if it's raining? Get drenched because you want to park your truck where you do?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM

26 posts, read 66,635 times
What would be the point of taking pics of other trucks that are parked out on the street at night if the mail isn't delivered at night?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 53,291 times
okay the closest the truck ever got was 7 feet from the box, until i dug it up and moved it down the road with my neighbors consent. she never told me personally anything of any sorts. the night shots were to show how many vehicles in the area park within 7 feet of a mailbox. and i think it goes that my mail will get there no matter what, rain, sleet, hail, snow, ect. she's just being super lazy because you can fit a jeep between where my truck parked and the mailboxes with normal access, and what is a mail truck? a slightly lower jeep. she just complains until she can drive up to the mailbox all hunky dory, hell i wish my job was that easy and could be made easier.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,533 posts, read 6,318,709 times
The mail carrier is 100% correct. It is illegal to block their access from driving up to the mailbox for them to deliver the mail. You need to park somewhere else, no matter how inconvenient you feel it is to do so. Do not forget, you're messing with a federal
employee.
Think of it like a fire hydrant. You can't park anywhere close to those, either.
On the personal level, I don't at all feel that the deliverer should have to get out of their truck, either.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 AM

17,831 posts, read 21,535,916 times
Maybe your neighbor is using this as a tactful way to tell you they don't want your truck parked in front of their house.

I know I would have a problem if the neighbors parked in front of my house.

Do you not have a driveway you can park the truck in ?

One of our neighbors got a letter from the carrier when a visiting family member kept blocking the access to their mailbox.

If you look at it this way, the carrier has a certain number of routes to complete. If they have to keep getting in and out of the truck this will increase their route time which could also result in folks calling to complain because their mail is late. Believe me we have a couple neighbors that complain when the mail is 30 mins late I can't imagine the issues they would have if it was hours late.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:03 AM

301 posts, read 678,216 times
We had a company that was doing some work for us at our house (landscaping and pavers work) anyway, the guy kept parking his truck in front of our mailbox, so our mail deliver person just didnt deliver the mail at all. She would just drive right past the mailbox and on to the other house.

Making a mail person get out of the truck will greatly slow down the mail delivery time. They should not have to get out of the truck at all.
I think you should move your truck to a different location.

If they have already given 3 written citations, give your neighbor a break. I'm sure it's just as frustrating for him because it's not even his truck thats the issue, and he had to be the bad guy and confront you with it.
The neighbor just wants his mail.

I agree with the others on why taking pictures at night of other vehicles won't work. If it's wrong to park in front of the box for you, then it would also be wrong for other people. If it's wrong, its wrong! So pictures wont help. Like, for example stealing. You steal a pack of gum, get caught... and then go around taking pictures of other people stealing. Does that now make it right because others do it? I don't think so.

They may either be getting citations also...or maybe their vehicle isnt parked by the box when the mail is delivered during the day.

Last edited by daisies76; 09-08-2009 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

754 posts, read 1,785,649 times
Looks like the consensus is clear: (1) the driver should not have to get out to put mail in a box (again, what if it's raining?); and (2) move your truck already.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM

1,669 posts, read 3,880,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
However, the mail delivery person has the right not to make the deliver if they can't they can't access the mailbox without getting out of the car.
Seriously? Is this a written USPS rule or law? USPS carriers still get out of their trucks and walk to put mail in old mailboxes mounted on the front of houses in some towns in the area where I live. They do this if it is pouring rain or if there is 3 feet of fresh snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville