Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

i've seen hills on golf courses.......does that count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
i've seen hills on golf courses.......does that count?
mmm....I don't think so. Those are more like grassy lumps .

Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Oh no, tell me it's not true! How on earth could a self-avowed Minnesotan liberal expect to be happy in sprawling, prefabricated Jacksonville, a bastion of conservatism but alas surrounded by enclaves of unenlightened liberals, forcing me to reach into my arsenal of poly-syllabic diatribes like "delusionally idealistic wrist-flapping, leftist ninnies", phrases honed during my glory days of anti-liberal Ron Paul rallies, to blast any self-deluded poster who would dare to delude (my favorite word) this fellow Minnesotan. It is I alone because of my worldliness who knows best for you and Jacksonville it is not, therefore henceforth I shall suspend all of my poker engagements and cancel all my Bambi-killing expeditions until the day you return on bended knees to frigid Minnesota. Promise?
You can usually tell what 'level' a person is operating on based on what they mock.

Were you seriously so impressed by 'delusionaly idealistic wrist-flapping leftist ninnies' that you tagged it as being a "polysyllabic (one word, no hyphen required) diatribe?"

Seriously? Wow. Florida educated, I'm guessing?

Your post reminded me... I should add another thing, for the benefit of the OP; consider the general intellect of people in Florida might not meet your standards. I'm pretty much convinced that folks who predicate their entire lives on weather usually aren't amongst the best and brightest (crap... I said "predicate", and that isn't a word I've ever heard a rapper use. I'm sure cricketfan will have something to say about it... idiot)

Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post

Your post reminded me... I should add another thing, for the benefit of the OP; consider the general intellect of people in Florida might not meet your standards. I'm pretty much convinced that folks who predicate their entire lives on weather usually aren't amongst the best and brightest (crap... I said "predicate", and that isn't a word I've ever heard a rapper use. I'm sure cricketfan will have something to say about it... idiot)
And I guess that you with your superior intellect feel it's okay for you to to mock the entire population of a state?

BTW, the terms of service to which you subscribed on CD do not allow personal attacks against a fellow poster...I believe that your use of the term "idiot" in reference to another poster is a violation.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

261 posts, read 705,095 times
If you are looking for a more liberal atmosphere, I would probably focus on South Florida. Hills and mild weather might be a problem. Florida is very flat and more hot than mild a lot of the time. We moved down here recently from Colorado, and honestly it's so different from here that it's strange to see them on the same list. But, Colorado would meet a lot of your criteria, maybe more than Florida would.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
You can usually tell what 'level' a person is operating on based on what they mock.

Were you seriously so impressed by 'delusionaly idealistic wrist-flapping leftist ninnies' that you tagged it as being a "polysyllabic (one word, no hyphen required) diatribe?"

Your post reminded me... I should add another thing, for the benefit of the OP; consider the general intellect of people in Florida might not meet your standards. I'm pretty much convinced that folks who predicate their entire lives on weather usually aren't amongst the best and brightest (crap... I said "predicate", and that isn't a word I've ever heard a rapper use.
PokerPlayer, my point was that big words do not necessarily denote intellect or even education. Let's get back to the OP with plain unaffected language and you will be doing us all a favor.

Quote:
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with [keyboards].
... Frank Lloyd Wright

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-01-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,847 times
With your criteria you might be happier in a place like Raleigh Durham....college area, liberal minded, access to mountains, hiking, etc. Jacksonville is not the place if you need to be around alot of liberals. They're here but few and far between, and the overwhelming culture is extremely conservative, so much that people assume you are and say things right out as if you'll of course agree with them. I've learned to just keep quiet.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
I would just like to point out that if a "liberal" doesn't want to live somewhere where conservative beliefs dominate, they are hardly a true liberal at all. Perhaps a progressive, a populist, or some other form of leftism. But no one should be calling themselves a liberal if they have a problem with differing political or cultural mentalities.

And anyway, like plenty of other people have said on this thread, Jacksonville is a healthy mix of right-wing and left-wing. I think people just lose perspective because they are used to large cities being 80%-90% left, whereas Jax is much closer to an even split.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
this is a long thread, is Al Franken moving down here?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:57 AM

17 posts, read 61,327 times
"Walkability" -- You will have a hard time finding this in Florida. We are a state that is dependent on cars, unfortunately. It's getting better, but most Florida cities aren't built around this idea.
Affordable housing (we're trying for under $250,000) -- You will definitely find this here.
Family friendly -- You will definitely find this here. Don't let people discourage you, we have great public schools, particularly in the Beaches area of Jacksonville. I'm a teacher, I'd bring my kids to school here in a heartbeat.
Environmentally friendly -- We're getting there!
Mild weather - Most definitely! In the winter, you can get away with a hoodie and flip flops. It's our state cold-weather uniform.
Hills... I don't like completely flat areas - You won't find this much in Florida. However, we have TWO coastlines!!
Liberal attitude - Jax is mainly conservative. I'm a liberal and I find that difficult. Orlando or Gainesville might be a better fit for you in terms of your other wants/needs and political views. However, the lack of liberal attitude here is the one thing that drives me crazy. I'm used to it, though, I've lived in FL all my life.
A large body of water nearby, the ocean, a river, lakes, anything really. - Jax has plenty of this! A beach and a river, oh my!
Lots of green space and parks If you look, you can find these. We are really a sprawling suburb, so there is plenty of greenery. There are some parks downtown and at the beach.

Here are some things I love about Jax:
- Art Walk (first Wednesday of every month)
- Riverside Arts Market (every Sat, April - Nov)
- "The Corner" in Neptune Beach (great restaurants, fun bars, friendly people)
- Our AMAZING libary system

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville