Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM

406 posts, read 787,789 times

Advertisements

If anyone has lived in both the Raleigh-Durham and Jacksonville could you help me compare: cost of living, job market, housing etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
If anyone has lived in both the Raleigh-Durham and Jacksonville could you help me compare: cost of living, job market, housing etc.
Depends. Housing is higher in Raleigh-Durham. Food is taxed. I don't know what your career is so I couldn't tell you which market is better for your career.

I can say one thing, I'd never live choose to live in Raleigh-Durham again. Just not my cup of tea.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM

406 posts, read 787,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Depends. Housing is higher in Raleigh-Durham. Food is taxed. I don't know what your career is so I couldn't tell you which market is better for your career.

I can say one thing, I'd never live choose to live in Raleigh-Durham again. Just not my cup of tea.
Thankyou for the reply

I have been in the mortgae business for 16 years.

I think that is hit and miss everywhere

The tax makes for some expensive grocery store trips.

What are some of the things that are better in Jax?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
[quote=wjsluvskaz;10800187]Thankyou for the reply

I have been in the mortgae business for 16 years.

I think that is hit and miss everywhere

The tax makes for some expensive grocery store trips.

What are some of the things that are better in Jax?[/quote]

I used to live in NC, been to Raleigh many times. The only thing I can think of that's better in Jax is the fact the the beach is closer, much closer. But as far as economically, socially, quality of life, jobs, diversity, weather, etc... Raleigh (imo) - far better.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM

196 posts, read 574,333 times
RDU certainly has a more stable housing market.... That being said you could take the gamble that since the Jacksonville market was/is more turbulent, there might be more buying on the way up....

I loved Jacksonville, but I do think that RDU has the edge as far as jobs go. RDU also has all the universities which in certain areas gives it that "college town" feel. If you just consider quality of life I would say they are a toss up as far as my tastes go. Money-wise I think it is a toss up as well. Yes, NC has more taxes, but the insurance costs were much lower in NC.

Good luck - I don't think you can make a bad decision between those two!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Raleigh's population (imo) is more educated, and more friendly, and doesnt seem to have the amount of misfits that many large FL cities attract. Even Jax has somewhat of a transient feel, although not nearly as bad as other FL cities. I like Jax, and I'd even consider living there - it's the best big city in FL by far, imo. Still got a southern feel to it, and a friendlier, laidback vibe than all the other FL (big) cities. But to put Jax up against Raleigh is not a fair comparison. Raleigh's jobs, diversity, weather, education of the residents, universities presence, everyone (even though many from all over the US) they just seem to blend in and go with the flow, unlike many parts of FL. I give Raleigh a big edge in this comparison, almost to the point it isnt even fair, honestly.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Raleigh's population (imo) is more educated, and more friendly, and doesnt seem to have the amount of misfits that many large FL cities attract. Even Jax has somewhat of a transient feel, although not nearly as bad as other FL cities. I like Jax, and I'd even consider living there - it's the best big city in FL by far, imo. Still got a southern feel to it, and a friendlier, laidback vibe than all the other FL (big) cities. But to put Jax up against Raleigh is not a fair comparison. Raleigh's jobs, diversity, weather, education of the residents, universities presence, everyone (even though many from all over the US) they just seem to blend in and go with the flow, unlike many parts of FL. I give Raleigh a big edge in this comparison, almost to the point it isnt even fair, honestly.
I don't like NC at all. I've spent 2 years 8 months too long in Raleigh Durham. I haven't lived Jax in several years but I was there in Aug and I still love it. I prefer any major city in FL to RDU or Charlotte or Greensborough! Ugh!

But after having lived out West I'm more of a western US guy as opposed to FL but I'll take FL over NC any day.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:53 PM

41 posts, read 90,265 times
What didn't you like about Raleigh? I'm still trying to decide between moving to FL or NC..I hear so many negative things about FL in this forum, but in real life, people I know tell me they love living there. So confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I don't like NC at all. I've spent 2 years 8 months too long in Raleigh Durham. I haven't lived Jax in several years but I was there in Aug and I still love it. I prefer any major city in FL to RDU or Charlotte or Greensborough! Ugh!

But after having lived out West I'm more of a western US guy as opposed to FL but I'll take FL over NC any day.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 AM

^^^ It just depends on what you like/dislike... I have lived in both. to me, things like entertainment and nightlife dont mean anything to me anymore. When you take into consideration all the things important to my wife and I when comparing two places, we would choose NC.

We have family in both places, so either way, we're gonna miss family whichever place we move to... but before, when we were a little younger, and before our child was born, it was about the beach, entertainment, etc... but now, as a family, we like at things like crime, the friendliness of the residents, the jobs/economy, how people treat one another, how they drive, how they act, how the schools perform, how safe the area is, etc... all those things to me make up the "quality of life" aspect of a place, and when taking into consideration those things, at this stage in our lives, NC is a clear winner, IN MY OPINION.

Now remember, I have lived in both, so I think I am a very credible and reliable source of info when comparing the two. I do like Jax, I have said that before. someone like "he's so hott" that says they'd take any major FL city (Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jax) over a Raleigh or Greensboro, to me, is crazy. But maybe he's younger, maybe in college, and things like entertainment are more important to him. To put a Miami, Orlando, or Tampa over Greensboro or Raliegh is silly IMO, but again, I have outlined for you what is important to us above, so you can see where I am coming to that conclusion from. Also, I live in Central FL and not Jax. So take that into consideration too. I am a FL native and been and spent time in Jax many times, but never lived there. But I know there are a ton of little subdivisions built off of I-95 and tons of speculation up there too, and I just dont like subdivision after subdivision filled with people that just moved to FL and to me, there's not that strong sense of community. FL is very transient. Lots of new friends we met have already come and gone, and in our subdivision, I have already seen houses have 3 different families in them. In and out.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 AM

41 posts, read 90,265 times
Well, I'm not into nightlife since I have two toddlers. I just want what's best for my kids. I'm actually moving to Melbourne from CT in a few weeks but am having second thoughts. I wonder if the sunshine is worth it? I keep reading all of these negative posts and to be honest, I'm petrified!

I've been to Raleigh and it somewhat reminded me of CT but much prettier (not that I'm looking for a place like CT..ugh) but the people were so surprisingly nice. They actually said hello in the stores etc. It took me off guard!

You said you lived in Orlando and Miami, but do you think it would be different outside of those areas? I've heard Melbourne is nice and more laid back than Orlando.

If I didn't have two small kids, this wouldn't be such an issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
^^^ It just depends on what you like/dislike... I have lived in both. to me, things like entertainment and nightlife dont mean anything to me anymore. When you take into consideration all the things important to my wife and I when comparing two places, we would choose NC.

We have family in both places, so either way, we're gonna miss family whichever place we move to... but before, when we were a little younger, and before our child was born, it was about the beach, entertainment, etc... but now, as a family, we like at things like crime, the friendliness of the residents, the jobs/economy, how people treat one another, how they drive, how they act, how the schools perform, how safe the area is, etc... all those things to me make up the "quality of life" aspect of a place, and when taking into consideration those things, at this stage in our lives, NC is a clear winner, IN MY OPINION.

Now remember, I have lived in both, so I think I am a very credible and reliable source of info when comparing the two. I do like Jax, I have said that before. someone like "he's so hott" that says they'd take any major FL city (Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jax) over a Raleigh or Greensboro, to me, is crazy. But maybe he's younger, maybe in college, and things like entertainment are more important to him. To put a Miami, Orlando, or Tampa over Greensboro or Raliegh is silly IMO, but again, I have outlined for you what is important to us above, so you can see where I am coming to that conclusion from. Also, I live in Central FL and not Jax. So take that into consideration too. I am a FL native and been and spent time in Jax many times, but never lived there. But I know there are a ton of little subdivisions built off of I-95 and tons of speculation up there too, and I just dont like subdivision after subdivision filled with people that just moved to FL and to me, there's not that strong sense of community. FL is very transient. Lots of new friends we met have already come and gone, and in our subdivision, I have already seen houses have 3 different families in them. In and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville