Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Why does everyone say the cost of living is low here? Where do you come up with that? I could see saying the cost of living is average but low? .
Let me try to answer. All metropolitan cities have a cost-of-living index that takes into account the respective average salaries in each city. The average index is 100. Jax has an index of 94, therefore you can say our COL is lower than average especially when you compare with other major metro centers in Florida: Miami (120), Tampa (99), Orlando (98).

Outside of Florida there are very few cities with populations over a million that have a lower COL index than Jax but there are some: Charlotte, NC (93), Birmingham, AL (90), Houston, TX (89). There is no point in comparing Jax with less populated metro areas.

To put it in even better perspective, major metro cities have an index that is much higher: LA (142), NYC (121), Boston (129), Chicago (113), Denver (103), Minneapolis (115).

This data is from a print version of Kiplinger Publications showing the full city rankings for 2009, but if you wish I will try to post the electronic version.

Ofcourse you can always say that Kiplinger is wrong if this data doesn't help your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,944 times
I dont know if they are wrong but I know there are other sites that do the same thing and say different. I'd also like to know when it was updated because 8 or so years ago Jacksonville had a very low cost of living before the housing boom. Then all the housing shot up, insurance companies started charging way more for insurance or even backing out all together, property taxes increased, JEA went up god knows how much, car insurance increased all while SEEMINGLY the pay stayed about the same.

Salaries.com says a whole different story but I am not going to sit here and say they are right because I dont know whos right but what I do believe is all the people that THOUGHT it was cheap to live here until they say they got nickel and dimed to death and its not as cheap people lead on.

The only way for me to guess is to take my feild, healthcare and compare the wages city to city and then compare housing. While I know a lot more goes into like state taxs, insurance, auto tax, sales tax, gas tax and so on, I can get a good idea. I can tell you I have compared Jax to cities like Denver, Salt Lake city, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Knoxville and Jacksonville is as high if not higher than those and the difference is so small it wouldnt really affect ones lifestyle no matter where you lived.

Now if you compare San Diego or LA or NYC and maybe areas of the North east like DC it might be a different story. I dont look too much into the north east but I know it can be expensive.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Or people look at other sources of information besides salaries.com

Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,409 times
Smile Jacksonville Inquiry

Hi! I read your post and have recently encountered a similar scenario so I thought perhaps I could help. I am also married with a 1 year old and work part time, a few hours a day. We recently moved from Tampa, FL to Jacksonville and we faced the same dilemma over where to live that is convenient and SAFE! We are now renting a home in an area the we LOVE. You should definitely look into the Ortega area. It takes about 10-15 minutes (with traffic) to get to downtown. The immediate area is very nice and convenient to grocery stores, restaurants, Target, etc. Within 10 minutes you can be in the Riverside/Avondale area (next to downtown) which has a wonderful collection of shops, restaurants, etc. The schools in this area are good, too... my son is actually going to a playschool 2 days a week which has been wonderful. This neighborhood is beautiful and we feel very safe here. It seems to be a great community and i would highly recommend it! I understand your concern, also, about moving to Florida. I actually grew up in the Carolinas where there are four distinct seasons. I have been told that Jacksonville is much cooler than Tampa so I am hoping things indeed cool off soon! I hope some of this helps. I remember being so overwhelmed when we were looking for somewhere to live! Let me know if you have any more questions that perhaps I could answer. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
Ortega is a great neighborhood.

Fanatastic family-orietntated, residential area.

Commerical is lacking some.

Pricey.

Aesthetically beautiful.

If you can make it from Ortega to Downtown in 10 minutes then you must drive a flying saucer.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,409 times
you are correct, fsu813. it does take longer than 10 minutes to get to downtown from the ortega area. i erroneously offered that bit of information and i apologize for that. i am still getting used to finding my way around the area since i am new here and need to do more exploring before i offer 'time traveling' information.

and yes - the ortega area is indeed pricey.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 9,594 times
I don't live in Jacksonville or Duval/Clay counties but you might also want to check the surrounding areas. I live in Nassau county and it has much to recommend it. Amelia Island, which you mention, is actually in Nassau County. Regarding safety, I apologize that this answer is so long, but I mislaid the link I was going to post this reply on and decided to look here instead. The original question was: "Do you feel safe in Jacksonville?"

]I feel safe in Jacksonville as long as I'm not anywhere near the North Side. Most of Jacksonville's murders are thugs killing thugs.

I have several problems with that statement. Some of these "thugs" use weapons which can punch through a body or even a wall and if I'm walking near enough on the street or there's a baby in the next apartment, a life could be gone. Some of these weapons have a good range --now it's more like the movie QUIGLEY DOWN UNDERwhere someone can shoot you from more than a mile away. I’m not saying that they might be trying to shoot me – but they may do so accidently. I’m sure it will make little difference. I believe that too many people gripe about a situation without trying to do something about it. You might ask “What can I do about this problem?” You actually can do quite a bit. Contact your sheriff’s department. Set up a neighborhood watch system or get something going like the Cellular On Patrol program San Antonio has had for years. I was a member of that and also a block captain for our Neighborhood Watch. You can also get involved in volunteer programs which help the police get back to policing. You can help with non-confrontational things such as checking on the elderly, checking out houses when property owners are away. You might even be called upon to check to see if people are parked illegally in handicapped spots or even to direct traffic when there’s an accident. If you see something happening, don’t just stand there – don’t try to be a hero either – but call 9-11 and let the sheriff know. Also, should you be a witness to a crime, call CRIME STOPPERS. You might get a reward and you can remain anonymous. Testify in court if needed. There’s a lot you can do. I know which I will do and it won’t be just sitting there and feeling sorry for myself. There’s an old saying: Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way. Which do you want to do? ((The different colored text resulted from hyperlinks which might not have remained in the article as I have posted it. You should be able to GOOGLE those words to make more sense out of it. Florida and the Jacksonville area can use more caring people and especially those who want to get involved. You might also check out my HUBpages articles. If this address doesn't work, try to let me know and I'll send you a link.

Moderator cut: No recommendations with under ten posts as per Terms of Service. No personal websites, journals, BLOGS, MySpace, FaceBook, etc links allowed.

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-14-2009 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Removed personal site link

Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM

paranoid. if you don't live in a violent crime area, you don't need to be overly worried. period.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 AM

402 posts, read 1,055,944 times
Kinda like this poor guy? Maintenance Man Shot, Killed At Work - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/21261557/detail.html - broken link)

Just a guy doing his job on a GOOD side of town and gets shot around noon during the day. All these good sides of towns been having LOTS of shootings latley. Swat killed a guy on san pablo road a few weeks ago, last week 2 are shot and killed again on GOOD parts of town. The crime is out of control here and we all know it. I guess I am paranoid since I live minutes from these areas.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 AM

as long you are aware of your surrondings and take normal, everyday, standard, precautions you don't need to be overly worried, no.

you act as if random shootings don't occur in every larger city. they do.

nothing to be paranoid about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville