Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,168 times

Advertisements

I moved here from a town of 300 in Mississippi. Culture shock was an understatement. I had a stay at home wife and a 1.5 year old. We have been here over three years and you have to protect your children anywhere you live. It still amazes me that I see people letting their kids ride their bikes around our neighborhood after dark (in Oakleaf). It is a very nice neighborhood but there are lot of cars that just drive through all the time at all hours. Jacksonville is less dangerous than Jackson, MS where the murder rate is one of the highest in the nation. Overall there is still plenty of safe family friendly activities in Jacksonville and St. Augustine. And you don't have to live on the beach to enjoy it. We are a thirty minute drive away and it works out fine. If you are a cautious person, you will do fine in whatever city you live in. Be smart, don't go places you feel uncomfortable, and ask people you meet in your day to day life to give you advice. They won't purposely lead you astray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 19,145 times
Default Jacksonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdoliner View Post
The honest answer from me is no. You should not leave an incredible city like Denver for Jacksonville, Florida. I'm usually never on the Jacksonville forum but am moving to Colorado from Jax in 2 days and had to respond. I really hate to be negative on these forums about a specific city. Most people want to hear great things about where they are considering moving. Unfortunately the honest answer you are seeking is no way!
Jacksonville will disappoint you in many ways in comparison to a beautiful, vibrant, tolerant city like Denver. From a stay at home mom of two great kids. Really....I wouldn't make that change.
Hi, Could you be more specific with why you would not leave Denver for Jacksonville. We may have an opportunity in our future and we are currently in Denver also. Thanks for your time.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Unfortunatley, most opinions such as this are from people who never took the time to explore the city and it's resources.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Curious to know makennaminerin if you ever moved to Jacksonville and if show how are things going? I too am a mother of 2 small children and my husband and I are thinking of relocating to Jacksonville from the Denver/Aurora CO area. The biggest draw back I am finding are the school systems. I have heard nothing but how poor/bad the school systems are. We are searching and applying to military/civil service jobs in Jax and Charlotte, NC.
I do not care for Denver at all due to the high cost of living and nothing much family friendly to show for it. We moved to Denver from Ft Walton Beach FL and all of our expenses literally doubled. We have been here for 4 years and yet to find any family activities that are free or inexpensive like we had in FL. We love and miss the beaches and water and eagerly ready to give up the cold, unpredictable weather and snow.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanise View Post
Curious to know makennaminerin if you ever moved to Jacksonville and if show how are things going? I too am a mother of 2 small children and my husband and I are thinking of relocating to Jacksonville from the Denver/Aurora CO area. The biggest draw back I am finding are the school systems. I have heard nothing but how poor/bad the school systems are. We are searching and applying to military/civil service jobs in Jax and Charlotte, NC.
I do not care for Denver at all due to the high cost of living and nothing much family friendly to show for it. We moved to Denver from Ft Walton Beach FL and all of our expenses literally doubled. We have been here for 4 years and yet to find any family activities that are free or inexpensive like we had in FL. We love and miss the beaches and water and eagerly ready to give up the cold, unpredictable weather and snow.

I'm curious to know if the OP decided to move, too. We are also considering a move to Jacksonville.

As for school, just from the research I've done, many of the St Johns schools get a greatschools.com ratings of 10...which they don't seem to give to just any school. I guess it has a lot to do with what you're used to, but moving from MS where our #1 issue is schools, there are several Jax schools that look great to us!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
I know others have posted this alot but schools in jacksonville get worse as they go up in grade. good elementary and middle schools arent difficult to find or get into but good highschools are more difficult.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM

14 posts, read 51,381 times
Hi I have lived in Jacksonville for most of my life. There are some areas that are good and some not too good. I live currently in the East Arlington area zip is 32225. I like it this way, not much crime my son goes to an A school. Close to mayport naval station, but not too close. Nice area back here. Steer clear of downtown, most of the northside I wouldn't drive into. West side most off the interstate isnt any good. There are parts of Mandarin that are nice. Off of Old St Augustine Rd. I like it where we are the best though. You should look into it. Nice soccer fields nearby that my kids play at. Greater arlington soccer club its called. Check out this zip code its around McCormick/Monument rd intersection.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,749 times
I swear don't come to Jacksonville it is one of the most boring city's i've ever lived in my whole life as far as Colorado goes I'm not totally sure but Jacksonville is VERRRRRRRRY DANGEROUS DO NOT COME TO JACKSONVILLE,FL now some part's are pretty cool but other part's you look at some one and you get shot this is pretty much like New York with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ja...lle_Snow_2.jpgpeoples tempers now i live near north Arlington but where you would like to live "mandarin" is pretty cool, but i WARN you if you move in downtown have your shot gun ready and your dogs ready for a late night break in because that is the worst area i mean it tells you right there "DOWNTOWN" that is like the most dangerous areas in all of Jacksonville. Now i recommend the north side it's very southern like every one has horses and it's very country if you like that type of setting i my self love it but there is some down sides,since he is going to work in downtown it's going to be like an 1hour drive just to get to down town but it's awesome in the north side now crime on the other hand like i said before have your gun and your dogs ready because it's out in the country and any one can do something and get away with it. I hope this helps,oHHHH wait,wait,wait for climate it's not the best during summer i would rather have 10inches of snow to plow than 100degrees summers but winter on the other hand we went down to a RECORD LOW 23degrees plus we even got LOTS of snow flurry's but be prepared for a snow storm we had one in 1989 and i'm still waiting for the next one heres a picture of one

Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,749 times
here copy this link into your browser [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida#Climate]Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url] it gives you all the info you need.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM

443 posts, read 895,311 times
redneck4runneroutlaw --

Punctuation is your friend. So are paragraphs. Your point is lost because it's so hard to read your rambling post....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville