Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

There is an SUV at our apt. complex that has a Florida tag on it showing a expiration date of 09-08. That is over a year old expired registration! Last week, I seen a truck on Southside Blvd that had two Florida tags on the license plate! Some States do have two tags on the license plate, one is the year and the other is the month........but that isn't here! On this truck, the tag on the left read 09-09 and the tag on the right read 12-09.

When we lived in Huntersville, NC, the PD drove through the complex and gave "expired registration" tickets for old tags. They could do this because the streets in the complex were city streets (actual streets) not just drives going in/out of the complex.

Do some people here just "ask" to be pulled over by JSO/Highway Patrol because of expired tags? Obviously these people know that they will have to pay a "late fee" for expired registration that is months expired!

I also know that a lot of people, after they move, don't want to get new vehicle registration/plates until their old ones expire no matter what the time limit is set by State law to get this done. Shoot, some folks don't even want to get a new DL until they have to, after they move. Only problem is, in order to transfer vehicle insurance over from one State to another, a person has to show a DL and Registration from the new State living in. In North Carolina, we couldn't get our NC plates/Registration until we had NC DL's to show the Plate/Registration Office!

We were here 1 week and took care of the vehicle registration and our DL's because we didn't want the Bank and other things showing NC registrations and DL's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
An expired tag more than 6 months old (I believe) will require a court appearance. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL

Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Gee, other than Eric, no one else wants to comment on this Thread?
I wonder if it's because there are people in CD/Jax Land that are toting around expired Registration tags! Or, there are people who have moved here that still haven't got a Florida Registration/Plate/DL yet? Just curious

Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,486 times
haha who knows. that was first on our agenda.....new DL/tags etc. We haven't gotten new tags for my husband's car, but he just hasn't had a chance to get down there to do it. His are still valid in Hawaii.......but as soon as he can he'll take care of it. I was all in favor of getting a new DL.....my old picture was horrible! I looked like I was wearing a mullet! haha......bad bad hair.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,944 times
People get away with this because police do not have time to deal with it, they are too busy chasing all the people murdering people and dealing drugs. Two murders last night in two different appartment complexes. Bigger fish to fry! You guys probably just didnt have this problem in NC. The good news is you can wait to register your car if your low on funds, the bad news is you can be shot and killed at any moment!!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM

35 posts, read 137,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Last week, I seen a truck on Southside Blvd that had two Florida tags on the license plate! Some States do have two tags on the license plate, one is the year and the other is the month........but that isn't here! On this truck, the tag on the left read 09-09 and the tag on the right read 12-09.
That's nothing, just keep looking and you are sure to see a plate with a tag on all four corners. Actually you will see many.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Expired tags......how about no car insurance. FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

Only state I know where they don't impound vehicles when they don't have insurance.

So no state inspection to see if vehicles should be on the road, no insurance, suspended DL, anything goes in FL.

To Parks 71 there are murders in other states, the deal is FL is too lax on the road safety.

Try driving in CA or NY or most other states on expired plates and no car insurance and see what happens.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graftenberg View Post
That's nothing, just keep looking and you are sure to see a plate with a tag on all four corners. Actually you will see many.
I think some people don't realize that you can stack the renewal stickers.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM

One good "tag" thing that isn't here much: gettng a tag stolen from your plate! Although, when we went to Tax Collector's Office to register our boat and trailer, there was a lady there getting new tag because her tag had been stolen off her plate.

Funny thing: While living in So Calif and looking for a used truck, I found one in Truck Trader magazine. I contacted the seller and went over to look at the truck. The man spoken broken English, but I knew enough Spanish to understand him. While looking at the truck for sale, I noticed that the tag had been expired for some time. I mentioned this to him and he told me, "that truck over there is mine to, but it won't pass smog. I like that truck a lot, so I put the tag from this truck (that passed smog) on the plate of that one so I can drive it." Ok, selling a truck with it's tag on another truck! I said, "sorry not interested now!" and left. As I got into my friends car, I was almost dieing of laughter inside of myself!

California/Southern California does have strict enforcement on registration tags and insurance! And, they have a much higher crime rate than here!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
I can understand. $800 to get initial tags on btoh vehicles last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville