Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM

8 posts, read 65,332 times

Advertisements

I would really would like a pocket beagle or a puggle but i am not having very much luck finding one in the local jacksonville area...

could anyone tell me a good place to check out and find my fury friend

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
I found - Jacksonville Humane Society

http://www.jaxhumane.org/

It's a place to start.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Try checking breed specific rescue organizations:

Welcome To Pug Rescue of Florida

Couldn't find a "pocket beagle" rescue site.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
There are plenty of general places to adopt a dog, but not sure where'd you find that specific kind....

Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times
Pet Finder is a good place to find a pet to adopt - any kind of pet.
I hope you know something about beagles and puggles - they are CUTE, but not for everyone. Beagles follow their nose first and fore-most. They also have a tendancy to bark alot and howl/bay. Puggles have these qualities as well. Of course, every dog is an individual and the degree of these qualties can vary. Please don't just go after a "pretty face".

Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM

77 posts, read 234,762 times
Default FirstCoastBeagleRescue.org

From - JacksonvilleCraigslist/community/pets:

FCBR has several rescued Beagles ready for adoption to your family! Beagles are great family friends, so loving, loyal. smart, they love kids and usually do well with all other pets. Beagles DO need a fenced yard! We are strictly NONPROFIT rescue. ALL adoption fees go back to vet care, crates, food to the Beagles. We are always in need of good foster homes as well. we pay ALL vet bills, fosters provide temporary safe loving homes till adoption. Please see our web site for pics and brief bio's on all the great beagles waiting for forever homes. Thanks for looking First Coast Beagle Rescue, and the Beagles firstcoastbeaglerescue.org

Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times
Please rescue a shelter dog/puppy vs buying. I beg you.
As mentioned before Petfinder is great or just go walk through some shelters
I find when I volunteer and people come to pick out a dog-often the dog picks them instead.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Pet Finder is a good place to find a pet to adopt - any kind of pet.
I hope you know something about beagles and puggles - they are CUTE, but not for everyone. Beagles follow their nose first and fore-most. They also have a tendancy to bark alot and howl/bay. Puggles have these qualities as well. Of course, every dog is an individual and the degree of these qualties can vary. Please don't just go after a "pretty face".
I agree with Petfinder at Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

That is how I was able to find our particular rescue (a 1 year old Bichon Frise).

The more questions you ask, the better educated you can become with regards to your pet. Keep in mind "Pocket" or "Tea Cup" sized dogs have precarious lives and are prone to dying from just hypoglycemia or even some minor illnesses. The smaller the dog, the harder it is to potty train.

Lastly, keep in mind that the dogs will typically live 12-16 years (short as 7 years for a Great Dane and other large dogs) so you need to be committed to having this pet through "thick and thin" and whether you move.

Getting a pet that is ideal for your family requires a lot of research and to determine the perfect fit for your lifestyle to include the following:

Vet bills
Exercise requirements
Your work lifestyle (long work hours?)
Boarding if a frequent traveller
Grooming
Family members with allergies
Suitability for children, depending upon age

Anyways, we have had our rescue for 2 years and he is the most wonderful dog that I have ever had/met. Certainly, there is a learning curve for the owner and the pet, but it was well worth the time to make an informed decision.

Good luck with your quest.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Great post titaniummd and everyone else

I have to say the same thing there are so many adoption dogs out there looking for loving homes.

All of our dogs have been adoptions
Our lola came from Animal care & control and we got ralphie through petfinders
With pertfinders you may want to expand the search area if you can't find what you are looking for with in 30 or so miles

We went down to Ocala to get Ralph from a rescue group that goes to the high risk shelters
So by adopting from these type of groups you make room for them to go and get more at risk dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: