Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,226 times

Advertisements

We just drove thru Jacksonville yesterday and what an impressive looking city, from the road that is. Would like to find out more about the surrounding areas. I have done some research in St Johns County and would like to find out if there are developments with larger private lots. I am looking for at least .5 acre. Being close to downtown would not be an issue but schools and safe neighborhoods would be. Is there much advantage to being in a gated community? Does it really help with crime and break-ins? We are looking for a neighborhood that would offer a lfestyle for family activities during the holidays, teen centers or at least activities for teens and a nice pool with gym ammenities. We live in NJ and a town center is something I enjoy and would lke to get that feel in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
you'll find very few 1/2 acre plots of land in the neighborhoods that surrond Downtown. if this is flexible, then there are lots of options.

how old are your kids? what's your price range? where will your jobs be?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
familymom
I moved down from NJ 17 years ago.
Where in NJ are you ?

Some of the older(1980's) neighborhoods in St Johns County do have larger lots. Friends of our live right past Julington Creek Plantation and they have almost an acre. They do not have the big community center though.
Maybe someone that lives in JCP would know if you can "join" and use the amenities.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
Outsiders can join JCP and use the amenities, but the price is quite steep.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,226 times
We are looking for a 4 bed/3bath for about 425k. Of course more bedrooms and less money would be a plus! We would like a newer home with lots of windows and higher ceilings. As for jobs, well we are not at that point yet. I know== don't move without one!

So JCP does have nice amenities?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
We are looking for a 4 bed/3bath for about 425k. Of course more bedrooms and less money would be a plus!
I think this is easily doable. Especially in the present environment. Just remember that you'll have higher insurance, and likely HOA and CDD fees to boot.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 AM

14 posts, read 55,322 times
$425 for a 4/3 is doable. Getting the 1/2 acre in the nicer, newer communities, at that price, will be tougher.

St Johns Golf & CC has tons of young families and very active neighborhood for swim, tennis, and golf. Most lots are closer to 1/4 acre. Cimarrone CC is gated, and has larger lots, but an older population. Both are on CR 210, which is about 20-25 minutes south of downtown Jax.

Another option is Nocatee, under development further east on CR 210 toward the beach. Lots of brand-new options there.

All of the above are in A-rated school districts. Nease, Bartram Trail, and Ponte Vedra HS are all highly respected. Enjoy your research!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 AM

16 posts, read 36,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb2 View Post
$425 for a 4/3 is doable. Getting the 1/2 acre in the nicer, newer communities, at that price, will be tougher.

St Johns Golf & CC has tons of young families and very active neighborhood for swim, tennis, and golf. Most lots are closer to 1/4 acre. Cimarrone CC is gated, and has larger lots, but an older population. Both are on CR 210, which is about 20-25 minutes south of downtown Jax.

Another option is Nocatee, under development further east on CR 210 toward the beach. Lots of brand-new options there.

All of the above are in A-rated school districts. Nease, Bartram Trail, and Ponte Vedra HS are all highly respected. Enjoy your research!

Do you have a good Realtor working for/with you! It's not what you know it's who you know and "what they know"!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
We are looking for a 4 bed/3bath for about 425k. Of course more bedrooms and less money would be a plus! We would like a newer home with lots of windows and higher ceilings. As for jobs, well we are not at that point yet. I know== don't move without one!

So JCP does have nice amenities?

Hi, Familymom. We just moved to PV from NJ past May. And love it here. My advice would be to rent at first to get a feel of the area. It is possible to find house that big in your range. We found a similar house in a nice neighborhood and negotiated the price below 400k.....close to the beach and good schools. PV is very family oriented. Some people say that HOA and other expenses will be more, it's not true. I guess they never lived in NJ ;o). HOA and insurance and property taxes will be much less than what you paid in NJ. I guarantee. As for jobs: my husband had a hard time finding a job WHILE STILL in NJ. They don't like to hire out-of-towners, even if you tell them you are relocating. As soon as you move your chances to find employment greatly increase. Most jobs say "locals only"...

So, welcome.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
familymom

I have to agree with LaraSch Ponte Vedra is great !! I lived there for about 4 years.
I am not sure of lot size though.
The only reason I would shy away from Nocatee is they will be continuing construction for many years and if you need to sell you will be competing against new construction.
I have a friend there who has been trying to sell there for the past year and now the builder are offering larger for less that his house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville