U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Status: "Can't stop time. Enjoy THIS moment" (set 16 days ago)

503 posts, read 1,136,825 times
Default leaves change color?

They say that Jacksonville has 4 seasons, so do you get fall colors on your trees? If so than does anyone have pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 AM

14 posts, read 33,118 times
Umm... yes and no.

Yes, we get a change of color. No, it is nothing as spectacular as you are used to seeing. For that, you have to go to at least northern Georgia. I don't have pictures, but I lived in Ohio, and I can promise you our change of seasons is not at all like that.

However, our winter high averages 65 degrees in January. Seems like a worthwhile tradeoff to me!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 AM

2,837 posts, read 7,458,970 times
I echo rjb2. The deciduous trees here sort of go from green to yellowy brown with really no vibrant reds and oranges. As well, the trees don't seem to drop their leaves all at once, so I'm cleaning up leaves throughout the wintertime. However, I'm out there in short sleeves with my rake, so I'm not complaining at all :-) What I'm not used to are the cedars (I think that's what they are) that drop their needles and go bare. Where I grew up in the northeast, trees with needles (aka pines) were evergreen. The bare trees are actually quite picturesque - the trees are very very tall and the branches go in every direction and are usually dressed with flowy Spanish Moss dripping down. From a distance, clumps of remaining needles look like tons of bats hanging in the trees. Some may think that's creepy, but I think it's pretty :-)

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM

754 posts, read 1,752,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
They say that Jacksonville has 4 seasons...
"They" do? Who are "they"? "They" are liars, because we do NOT have four seasons here. We have two: hot and mild.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 AM

5,598 posts, read 5,786,515 times
There arent 4 season in Jax'ville. That's kinda funny. The leaves do change from green to like a brownish/yellowish color but it's not really even that noticeable.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,273,394 times
Perhaps in Clay County where JoinClay lives there aren't 4 seasons, but in Jax it does get very cold (freezing) every Winter. =P

The copldest months of the year here are January to mid-March. Thus the holidays are usually pretty mild.

There aren't too many easuily found pics of autmn colors in FL in general, but here are some:

1) State Park not too far away: http://www.floridastateparks.org/hillsboroughriver/images/visitors/HIR-FloridaFallColors-KarenLueck.jpg (broken link)

2) A huge of FL plants with pics, some of the pics show autumn colors: Google Image Result for http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/cofl110727.jpg

3) Further South:
- Fall Leaves Make Dump Truck Look Pretty — Palm Beach Bike Tours
- It’s Fall and Thoughts Turn to Turning Leaves — Palm Beach Bike Tours

4) A couple hours West:
- http://michaeldodson.files.wordpress...10/j_maple.jpg
- Google Image Result for http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/75184134_d074f7b15b.jpg?v=0

5) Finally, some actually in Jacksonville:
- Google Image Result for http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/3068045371_a3200ab761.jpg?v=0
- Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2119223518_2f2b8cf500.jpg
-

Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 AM

1,932 posts, read 7,331,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
They say that Jacksonville has 4 seasons, so do you get fall colors on your trees? If so than does anyone have pictures?
I don't have any pictures, but where I grew up, in downtown Jacksonville, we had a HUGE Oak Tree in our front yard. That changed colors. Pine Trees, Palm Trees, etc aren't going to change colors, and Jacksonville has a lot of those, but there are also a lot of other kinds of tress in Jacksonville, including big old Oaks, and they do change.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM

5,598 posts, read 5,786,515 times
Duval Co, Clay co, whatever county in FL you want to throw out there - there are not 4 seasons.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
We do get fall color.

We have native maples, for example, that can produce the same beautiful intense red leaves that you see up North. The problem is, our maples will be interspersed with our many evergreen hollies and bays and so forth. So we miss out on the mass plantings effect of color-changing deciduous trees.

Another factor is chill hours. Some years, we just don't get enough chill hours. When the chlorophyll leaves the leaf, carotene is left, right? The more chill hours, the faster the chlorophyll breakdown and the more visible the carotene. Carotene gives us the golds, reds, and so on.

For great fall color in your own backyard, try planting:

Florida Flame Maple - gorgeous red leaves!
River Birch
Natchez Crepe Myrtle
Fire Bush
Oakleaf Hydrangea

With the exception of the Crepe Myrtle, all of above are Florida natives and will have the extra bonus of supporting our local wildlife.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 29,621,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
"They" do? Who are "they"? "They" are liars, because we do NOT have four seasons here. We have two: hot and mild.
Hmmm.

Data calculated for the last 35 years at Jacksonville indicated that the average number of freezes each year is around 18
Ironically, as seen in the CPC seasonal temperature forecast, despite the likelihood of fewer hard freezes, we expect below normal average temperatures this winter season...

I just came back from a walk in Ft Clinch State Park.
I collected about 20 red, orange, and yellow leaves.
Was my jaunt through the park like walking through an Ivy League college in Massachusetts or the golden aspens of Colorado or Haystack Mt in Vermont? Um, no.
But we do get a change of seasons, and *some* fall color.
And springtime is glorious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville