Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times

Advertisements

I am down in Estero(between Fort Myers/Naples). I am looking at moving to the Jacksonville area. I don't know Jacksonville other than driving through it on the way to and from FL. Can anyone tell me what areas to avoid? I don't want to be too close to the city, but on the outskirts. I am in apartment property management, maintenance. i see positions all the time there, and am looking at April/May.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM

250 posts, read 706,248 times
these same question is posted almost on a daily basis. you should look through the forum and see what people are saying.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Hey Chris

The first thing you are going to notice is the temperature difference. We do not stay as hot as they do being farther south.

I have a friend that lived down there and I don't think we see the number of "snowbirds"

I moved here almost 18 years ago so I have seen the growth over the past few years.

As to where to live the main questions will be

Proximity to job
Are schools an issue
How close do you want to be to the beach
What kind of nightlife
Do you prefer the historic vs non historic neighborhoods

Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Hey Chris

The first thing you are going to notice is the temperature difference. We do not stay as hot as they do being farther south.

I have a friend that lived down there and I don't think we see the number of "snowbirds"

I moved here almost 18 years ago so I have seen the growth over the past few years.

As to where to live the main questions will be

Proximity to job
Are schools an issue
How close do you want to be to the beach
What kind of nightlife
Do you prefer the historic vs non historic neighborhoods
Hi Karla. 2Goldens told me you were the one to ask.

My daughter is in 4th, going to 5th next year. I would like a good school for her in a good area.

The beach doesn't matter to me really, I go about 1-2 times a year if that. I don't mind if i have to travel a bit to go to one if we do.

In my line of work, property management, 9 out of 10 times I live at the property I work, I am just trying to get an idea of the good areas and what to avoid there. Down here it's more than half of Fort Myers to stay away from. So proximity won't be a problem.

Nightlife, well the wife and I are pretty much homebodies. We're both 40, so we are getting old...LOL. We go to movies once in a while, go with our daughter to the mall, parks, etc. Not really worried about the nightlife part.

Historic and non historic is ok either way. Just a safe area is my concern.

The temperature difference is a huge selling point for me, I do not like it down here as hot as it is. You guys get a more fall/winter like feeling up there. I am from Massachusetts and miss the cold. I don't miss the snow except for Christmas, but Jacksonville gets some good cold blasts and I would love that!!! This morning it is 73 degrees here and HUMID, you guys are at 56..... I really need that weather change. It's go to Jax or move back to MA, but then I get the best of both worlds in Jax, no snow and some good cold snaps!!!

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvingme23 View Post
these same question is posted almost on a daily basis. you should look through the forum and see what people are saying.
Yeah thanks, but I would like a more personal response.....

Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 AM

Chris I got your DM and sent you one

Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 AM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times
Chris, may I ask why you are limiting yourself to Jacksonville? You said you like the cold, jacksonville is cooler than down there but not by much, it was just in the high 70s for many days straight and its forcasting the 80s next week!

You said half of ft myers is bad, well jacksonville has lead the charge with the most crime per capita in the state of florida for 10 straight years! You have a kid in 4th grade, its not hard to find a good elementry school but after that, good luck, it can be very tough. Duval county is almost the worst county in the state for schools and florida is almost the worst state in the US so its BAD for the most part but not impossible.

You dont like the ocean much, you like cool weather, you need good schools, just seems like you have much better and cheaper options like georgia, TN or somewhere else. Just putting in my 2 cents for what they are worth.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Chris, may I ask why you are limiting yourself to Jacksonville? You said you like the cold, jacksonville is cooler than down there but not by much, it was just in the high 70s for many days straight and its forcasting the 80s next week!

You said half of ft myers is bad, well jacksonville has lead the charge with the most crime per capita in the state of florida for 10 straight years! You have a kid in 4th grade, its not hard to find a good elementry school but after that, good luck, it can be very tough. Duval county is almost the worst county in the state for schools and florida is almost the worst state in the US so its BAD for the most part but not impossible.

You dont like the ocean much, you like cool weather, you need good schools, just seems like you have much better and cheaper options like georgia, TN or somewhere else. Just putting in my 2 cents for what they are worth.
Jacksonville's crime statistics are skewed because of the size of the city... Most of the crime is isolated and very easy to avoid... Its not as if you cross the city limits and are in immediate danger... In fact if you look at crime per square mile I bet Jacksonville ranks as one of the lowest out of the big cities in FL...

There are also ways to get your kids into good schools around JAX... Its not as if there are no successful kids that come out of Jacksonville's school system...

This is the same crap that all of the JAX haters spout every time and then you have everyone believing that JAX is a warzone filled with retard children...

Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Jacksonville's crime statistics are skewed because of the size of the city... Most of the crime is isolated and very easy to avoid... Its not as if you cross the city limits and are in immediate danger... In fact if you look at crime per square mile I bet Jacksonville ranks as one of the lowest out of the big cities in FL...

There are also ways to get your kids into good schools around JAX... Its not as if there are no successful kids that come out of Jacksonville's school system...

This is the same crap that all of the JAX haters spout every time and then you have everyone believing that JAX is a warzone filled with retard children...
Thank you tercel it just amazes me that they way some folks make it look like Jax students receive sub-par education.

Then again you have to remember there are 800k+ folks in Jax and maybe 20 or 30 that post on boards.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:37 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I am down in Estero(between Fort Myers/Naples). I am looking at moving to the Jacksonville area. I don't know Jacksonville other than driving through it on the way to and from FL. Can anyone tell me what areas to avoid? I don't want to be too close to the city, but on the outskirts. I am in apartment property management, maintenance. i see positions all the time there, and am looking at April/May.

Thanks.

What area's to avoid? What are the surrounding outskirts neighboring towns relating to JAX? Which side of JAX holds best school system for his daughter? Give him a head start where to start looking!

Let's stay on topic, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville