U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 9,462 times

Advertisements

I'm a nurse who is considering moving to Jacksonville. Are there nursing jobs in the Jacksonville area? And what area of the city is the safest to live in? I would be living in an apartment community for the first couple years. Is there a safer apt. community in the city? Don't mind paying more for a safe, nice place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,416,252 times
The availability of nursing jobs will depend onn your experience. In general, yes, they will be available as it's a relatively high-turn over job as careers go (as you know).

The safest place in the general Jax area would probably be a gated, guarded, high-cost aprtment complex in St. John's County, just outside of Jax. There are some nursing jobs with-in a 20 minute drive of this area, but most will be further in.

This being said, crime can & does happen everywhere. In the past few months there have been multiple murders in areas that are traditionally seen as safe. Since you don't mind "paying more", i'd just choose an area of town that you enjoy spending time in and find a nice place there. As long as you avoid some obviously blighted areas, the normal, middle-class resident is 'safe' most anywhere. An overwhelming majority of the violent crime committed in Jax happens in obviously blighted areas and does not involve random victims.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:34 PM

29 posts, read 72,491 times
Look in or around South Side. Lots of affordable/some gated, nice apartment complexes and close to a lot of hospitals such as St. Vincents, Memorial and Baptist. They are also close to a very convenient shopping center called Saint Johns Town Center, which has a gated living community within it, called The Esplanade. You are looking at the $800-1000 plus/month range. No, i am not a Realtor

Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,416,252 times
St. Vincents is in Riverside/Avondale.

St. Johns Town Center is off Gate Parkway.

They aren't near eachother.

You'd have to travel across almost half the city, not that some people don't.....but.......they aren't close to eachother.

Perhaps you're thinking of St. Lukes....

Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,453,568 times
Several HOAs around Lake Mandarin have rentals and, IMO, this is a very safe area. Lake Mandarin is beautiful and swimable. Neighbors look out for neighbors. We are right at I-295 and San Jose, at the foot of the Buckman, so close to everything. A mix of two-income blue collar and one-income white collar households. A-rated schools. A nice, affordable place to live.

Within a mile or so are two Publix stores, a Winn Dixie, Whole Foods, Steinmart, TJMax, Marshalls, Wal-Mart, World Market, two Ace Hardwares, lots of great places to eat. Two libraries, Barnes & Noble, Books a Million. Several parks, churches, pubs, whatever you need.

And just a hop skip and jump from St Lukes, Mayo, Orange Park, Baptist South and Memorial Hospitals.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,855,317 times
There are more safe areas than unsafe areas in and around Jacksonville. This is a family friendly area so you'll find it pretty peaceful overall, despite the stats.

Once you know where you'll be working, it will be easier to choose a neighborhood. There are a lot to choose from that would fit your requirements right now.

This list is not all-inclusive, but some areas with a "safe" reputation are:

Mandarin
San Jose
Intracoastal West
Fort Caroline
Most of St. John's county
Fleming Island in Orange Park/Clay county

Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 AM

121 posts, read 533,105 times
I grew up in Jax, moved to Boston for 11 years, and came back down to work/live. I would not ever live in Jacksonville, for many many reasons. I commute to Jax (50 min) from Fernandina Beach. I am a federal employee (professional).

Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 AM

3 posts, read 11,399 times
Default Safest place to live in Jax

I am a lifelong Jax resident. Spent 15 years away from Jax counting military time & travelled in my work. But,in all my nearly 70 years I have never been the victim of a violent crime. There was one stolen car. A couple of petty thefts. Nothing ever at my home. I believe if you stay away from drug areas, be careful about night-clubbing,of which I did more than my share, certain apt complexes, you can live in safety. Anything is possible,there was a random rape nearby. As I have reg nurses all around me in the family I overhear their job woes quite often. Apparently there is a thing called 'floor nursing' in need of nurses but with high turn over due to negatives. I prefer to keep driving time to a minimum. Rent first in say, Mandarin or Baymeadows area or the Beach and then look around. I have a friend,A young Doc, who is renovating a place in San Marco, excellent location, near the Hospitals, but not for me as I am not a volunteer victim. I would add. I never brought home a stranger.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 15,805 times
I am taking my tips from you guys. I appreciate the information. We will be looking in this area in April.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,887 times
I lived at the Esplanade for 3 years and I miss every minute. It is SO SAFE. I used to take walks at midnight and I never felt scared or nervous, it was so nice and peaceful. Also the complex is surprisingly quiet and I never had an issue with mall traffic. I loved the convenience of the location. I rarely had to drive because everything I could imagine was walking distance! When I did have to take my car anywhere it was a breeze, there are back roads that get you past everything on the times the town center is a bit busy but I never had to use them because of insane traffic or anything like that. I think the places are completely undervalued and if I was still living in Florida I would be definitely be buying now at the prices I am seeing! If you are considering living there or buying there I highly recommend it! go to [url]www.firstcoastrentals.com[/url] (i think) they have a lot of listings for the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville