Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:48 AM

92 posts, read 403,411 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
I'm not trying to fan the flames, but I was suprised by the recent article in Southern Living magazine. The opening photo spoke volumes and I don't think it depicted the neighborhood in a balanced way.

Is this a picture of Springfield or Disney's Celebration Village???

The South's Best Neighborhoods - Photos - SouthernLiving.com

Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 AM

48 posts, read 206,266 times
It is an actual image from Springfield, so it’s truthful in that regard. Also most articles that do come out regarding Springfield are not balanced in the way they are portrayed either. I have lived in Jacksonville since 1985 and have always heard the horror stories of Springfield. I finally ventured over there from where I live (Riverside) and it is completely different from the reputation it has around town. I am not blind to the fact there are still problems, but some stories, and many people's perceptions of Springfield are not balanced either.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM

7,773 posts, read 10,066,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I'm not trying to fan the flames, but I was suprised by the recent article in Southern Living magazine. The opening photo spoke volumes and I don't think it depicted the neighborhood in a balanced way.

Is this a picture of Springfield or Disney's Celebration Village???

The South's Best Neighborhoods - Photos - SouthernLiving.com
lol, you're right! i read the article as a quote on a forum so I never actually saw the pictures. Greatly improved neighborhood but that opening photo does put a best foot forward that I'm not sure even exists yet.

BTW, my one and only visit to celebration about 10 years ago was kinda creepy in its own right.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
(ha)

what doesn't exist?

the church has been there for many, many years. it's a historic sdtructure actually, even though it looks new. the Springfield Mommines Group is popular. The kids pictured are involved in it.....

....so......what doesn't exist?

check out thier website: www.springfieldmommiesgroup.com

Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
I think he's referring to the kids reenacting a scene from sound of music.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM

holding hands while you cross the street is more like it....unless the SOM was famous for pavement.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,471,166 times
Ive always thought Springfielders had a bit too much cheerleader in them. I mean, I can appreciate what they've done & how far its come, but I didnt (and still dont) think they paint an accurate picture of the place. All anyone has to do is drive up there for a visit on any given day to see that.

BTW, I visit up there all the time to eat lunch, get coffee, etc & have lived in much rougher areas in bigger towns, so I dont exactly scare easily when it comes to this stuff. Im just saying that what gets said here & in some media is usually from the same people & its not really the reality of the place.

It is getting better though, but its def not there yet & seems slow going. I hope it continues at a brisker pace cause it could be really awesome some day.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM

darn. the various media that have visited to write & broadcast 20+ positive articles about the neighborhood in the past few years have all been hoodwinked!

it's a massive conspiracy!

and the 2 families that just bought houses for a combined 500k in the past few weeks were fooled too!

when will the conspiracy end????!!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
to be fair, everyone who lives in a gentrified area are going to be cheerleaders. I was the same when I lived in Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville