Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,643 times

Advertisements

My family & I are hoping to relocate to Jacksonville, FL from Oregon.
Any recommendations on the following:
Ballet / Modern Dance companies for young girls (9 yrs)?
Best places to live (can be outside of Jacksonville) - safe, opportunities to be active (biking, running, walking, kayaking, swimming, pet friendly)?
Best places for live music?

What is the main org for attending ballet, modern dance & music shows?
Need a url for calendar of events.

We will probably rent before buying to get acquainted with the area...any suggestions on a fun area to rent that's kid & pet friendly.

Thank you very much to all who reply....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 PM

64 posts, read 225,636 times
I'm also looking into the Jacksonville area suburbs and interested in similar things: safe, fun year-round activities, arts & music. I'm looking forward to reading some of the replies to your post.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times
I would say the best area for what you describe would be the beaches area. Lots of live music, a few dance studios (polly B and scott jones just off the top of my head) and your will be by the ocean so you can run or ride bikes.

You didnt say what your budget was and that might something to consider. Since you have a 9 year old, I am sure you want to consider schools too unless you plan on putting them in private school. The beaches have some of the best schools in the jacksonville area. Hope that helps some.

Most dance events would be downtown which is about a 20-25 min drive.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
"We will probably rent before buying to get acquainted with the area...any suggestions on a fun area to rent that's kid & pet friendly."

- "fun" family & pet friendly areas would be the Riverside & Avondale neighborhood, the San Marco neighborhood, and parts of the Beaches.

Just search for "Riverside Avondale San Marco" on the website and you'll find a alot of threads with LOTS of pictorials and information. These 3 areas have a lot going on, are in the cultural center of town, lots of nice parks, museums, the Riverwalk, festivals, very artsy & creative, lots of families, unqiue restaurarnts and botiques, very walkable (ie, you don't need a car for everything) and very pet / kid friendly. The Elementary & Middle-schools in these areas are fine (at least B rated i think).

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 32,297 times
My suggestion with children is to first find a great school district here. I have been in the Jacksonville area for about 5 years now. We moved to the saint augustine area and love it. We choose one of the best schools, middle school is Switzerland Point and the High School is Bartram Trail. We ourselves are now relocating! We are going to New Albany Indiana! I love our sub division. We live on a golf course called South Hampton. It is right on the border of Jacksonville and Saint Augustine. We are 20 minutes to a beach, 30 minutes max to down town Jax, and about 15 minutes to downtown Saint Augustine, very historic! It is the oldest city in the nation with a fort that is still standing right off the ocean. If interested I can give you more information on our are. Let me know. Our division does tons of stuff together as a community! Tons for kids!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanstratten View Post
My suggestion with children is to first find a great school district here. I have been in the Jacksonville area for about 5 years now. We moved to the saint augustine area and love it. We choose one of the best schools, middle school is Switzerland Point and the High School is Bartram Trail. We ourselves are now relocating! We are going to New Albany Indiana! I love our sub division. We live on a golf course called South Hampton. It is right on the border of Jacksonville and Saint Augustine. We are 20 minutes to a beach, 30 minutes max to down town Jax, and about 15 minutes to downtown Saint Augustine, very historic! It is the oldest city in the nation with a fort that is still standing right off the ocean. If interested I can give you more information on our are. Let me know. Our division does tons of stuff together as a community! Tons for kids!
I would love some info on your area! Sounds wonderful. We'll be visiting Jacksonville in either Feb or March for about 5 days. Any suggestions on activities we shouldn't miss?

THANKS

Old 01-24-2010, 03:03 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
I would suggest: San Marco to be close to theater and downtown events. I would also suggest NW St Johns County, but most everything in Jax is off a highway, so be prepared to do some driving.
NW St Johns County is in St Aug. Great for families. Good schools.
Look at South Hampton neighborhood. They have GREAT deals going on now. I have many many friends who live in there, and they RAVE. You can look at www.northfloridanewhomes.com and click on the MLS search. You can pull down all the neighborhoods and put in your criteria. Nice way to view and get an idea of the area.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I would suggest: San Marco to be close to theater and downtown events. I would also suggest NW St Johns County, but most everything in Jax is off a highway, so be prepared to do some driving.
NW St Johns County is in St Aug. Great for families. Good schools.
Look at South Hampton neighborhood. They have GREAT deals going on now. I have many many friends who live in there, and they RAVE. You can look at www.northfloridanewhomes.com and click on the MLS search. You can pull down all the neighborhoods and put in your criteria. Nice way to view and get an idea of the area.
Thank you!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
"but most everything in Jax is off a highway, so be prepared to do some driving."

- not if you live in one of the Historic Districts. this is one of their big draws: walkability & proximity to things.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM

41 posts, read 77,237 times
All of the areas named are very nice. The only thing about San Marco is when it rains. It floods in that area. St. Johns is a very nice area with many subdivisions. Bartam is a great area. I agree look into the school you would like for your kids to attend. Another thing to take into consideration is that in Jax we have Magnet Programs, so your options of the school may not rely totally on where you live but what activity or program your child is into. I've HEARD Lavilla which is located downtown is a very good school. Downtown has a lot of live bands and activities going on through out the week as well as The Times Union Center, the Florida Theater, Metropolitian Park and the Landing. Jacksonville is very spreaded out.

My advice would be check schools, location and crime rate in that area.
www.coj.net have many resources available. Or you can call 904-630-CITY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville