Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,650,333 times

Advertisements

Newbie,as you can see from my original post,I live in Eureka CA and was visiting in Jax from November thru mid-Jan. According to the CD index the COL in Eureka is 100,right at the national average, Jax is eighty-something, much lower,which is why I asked the original question. With housing costs about half what they are out here, and your gas a buck cheaper a gallon,I still can't figure out the economics of your grocery prices. Thanks to all of you who tried to help. PS I did live in Hawaii for 11 years. Jax is nice but it ain't Hawaii.

Last edited by eureka1; 02-11-2010 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM

432 posts, read 1,303,677 times
I think some of the groceries are more expensive here as well, HOWEVER I have only really ever shopped at commissaries on base prior to living here....and while I have the option of using the NAS commissary, I prefer my sanity.

We also lived in hawaii for 13 years total! Prices there can't be compared to anywhere......you get the cost of import put into your prices there......however we also had a nice Cost of Living Allowance that was basically another income...

I do like the publix by my house though....never crowded, very friendly and helpful people.....

Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 AM

62 posts, read 180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I was ASTOUNDED by the prices in Publix, Winn-Dixie and Food Lion especially for produce.
Yes, that blew me away too. It was equal to the high prices of Gelson's in Newport Beach. I think the junior college here costs a bit more than CA also.
Probably even with Arnold jacking tuition up

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,888,052 times
It's been interesting trying to "learn" groceries here.
I tend to shop around and do comparisons.
One thing I have noticed is that prices of individual items can really vary, and I think this is partly demographics, partly which volume dealer has which account.

If an item doesn't move, a store is not going to want to carry a whole lot of it.
In my experience, with the occasional exception, fresh produce is more expensive at Winn Dixie and Food Lion than at Publix. But as I said before, I wonder if it is a regional thing. I was not born and raised here.
Broccoli probably does not move off the shelves the way something like collard greens, ham hocks or okra does.

One day I needed a can of Crisco for a little science experiment I was doing with the daycare kids. I was at Publix so I went ahead and picked it up there.
It cost $3.99 for a small can.
Not long afterward, I was at Winn Dixie. The same size can was two dollars less.
It's probably even cheaper at Walmart.

Hey, broccoli and cauliflower are $1.67 this week at Publix.
Probably by package rather than by the pound.

Fsu makes the point that some vendors at farmer's markets are not even carrying local produce, and I have indeed seen this from time to time.
You have to pay attention and ask questions.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM

250 posts, read 703,136 times
well, i lived in New Orleans and groceries were 50%-%100 more expensive there than they are here. even the Winn Dixie's in New Orleans were more expensive then the ones here. so i don't agree with groceries being so expensive here. i find publix to be overall one of the supermarket chains i've seen anywhere in the US as far as price, selection, and freshness, and cleanliness. whole foods and native sun are good too pricey to be practical. except if you live in other cities like NO and Pittsburgh then whole foods is about the price of what you would pay for anywhere else in that city besides Walmart.

for fresh veggies i try to make a trip to a vendor at the farmer's market on Beaver St. the best greens are there and very cheap.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:58 PM

353 posts, read 1,142,437 times
I never noticed the pricing but I have had 2 different relative come and visit me here in Jax and both commented how much more expensive groceries are here compared to where they live. Who knew? LOL

Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 AM

27 posts, read 58,423 times
Personally I was shocked at the milk prices..!! Over $3 per gallon is ridiculous! we came from AZ where it was more like $2 or less... which to me, is a huge difference. And steak/beef here? Forgetaboutit! I'm starting to think cows are sacred in Florida which may be the reason for this??

Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM
kcj

60 posts, read 142,984 times
Newbie... I'm trying to figure out where you were! I'm thinking a Tops, probably Budwey's... am I close? I wish we had an Aldi's in Jax. My mom shops there all the time. I have her bring me their version of Nutella because it is cheap and just as tasty.

I don't think our prices are any higher than the Buffalo prices, or I'm sure my mom would have mentioned it. I know when my sister was last here, she thought Publix prices were better than what she pays for a lot of groceries in Buffalo.

If you decide to relocate... you can get Margharita pepperoni at BJs, but you will have to have your Sahlens and Weber's mustard imported

Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,740 times
Aldi's is nice.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM

310 posts, read 1,695,000 times
Quote:
Newbie... I'm trying to figure out where you were! I'm thinking a Tops, probably Budwey's... am I close? I wish we had an Aldi's in Jax. My mom shops there all the time. I have her bring me their version of Nutella because it is cheap and just as tasty.

I don't think our prices are any higher than the Buffalo prices, or I'm sure my mom would have mentioned it. I know when my sister was last here, she thought Publix prices were better than what she pays for a lot of groceries in Buffalo.

If you decide to relocate... you can get Margharita pepperoni at BJs, but you will have to have your Sahlens and Weber's mustard imported
Hey Kcj, yes, you were right about Tops and Budweys! Sounds like you're also from the Buffalo NY area or have lived there? (Or is it just your Mom who lives & shops there? not clear about that.)

I'm answering your questions thru a PM to you, check your Direct Messages. And since I'm considering moving to JAX, maybe to live near the beach, it's good to know where to buy typical Buffalo foods! Thanks for that & wondering how many more Buffalo transplants there are in the JAX area, there's lots of us here in Charlotte NC where I'm living now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville