U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,536 times
Default Jacksonville or Pensacola

I have the possibility of being stationed at the hospital in Jacksonville or Pensacola, Fl. While the areas are pretty different I was hoping for any input on either part of florida since I have been to neither. pros and cons of living. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM

64 posts, read 237,333 times
I'm in Jacksonville & my brothers are in P-cola. You could not pay me enough to move to the Panhandle. When we go there, it feels like we are in hillbilly heaven. It's a different pace of life. Both of my brothers boat & fish & love it for that. The cost of living is pretty similar. The beaches are gorgeous. It definitely has more of a good ol' boy vibe to it.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:15 PM

402 posts, read 612,318 times
Jacksonville can be pretty hillbilly as well, just go to the monster truck show!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Jacksonville can be pretty hillbilly as well, just go to the monster truck show!

DH wanted to take my 4 year-old there this year. I said a big, fat, "No!"

There is no way he would keep the ear plugs in.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 AM

131 posts, read 420,378 times
Penacola has the better beach. After that the clear winner is Jacksonville. Unless you want to live in a really small town, then PCola wins. But why on Earth is a place as cool as Joe Pattis in PCola but nothing even like it in a city the size of Jax?!?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM

402 posts, read 612,318 times
The beaches do look much better in Pensacola. I always though Jacksonville looks like south Georgia, not Florida. We dont have clear water which Florida is known for. With that said, there are many other factors to consider other than just the beaches.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileDoc View Post
But why on Earth is a place as cool as Joe Pattis in PCola but nothing even like it in a city the size of Jax?!?
Yeah. I agree.

Pcola also has a pretty cute downtown area, too.

Wasn't there a really big scandal a few years ago with Joe Patti's? I think I remember SIL telling us about it.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,518 times
my husband & I are wanting to move to Pensacola from Arkansas. He works for the state of Ar as maintenance superviser ( he puts the yellow & white stripes on interstates). Any advise as to working for the fl highway dept

Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,512,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ark mom View Post
my husband & I are wanting to move to Pensacola from Arkansas. He works for the state of Ar as maintenance superviser ( he puts the yellow & white stripes on interstates). Any advise as to working for the fl highway dept
The Governor of the Sunshine State, Rick Scott is currently trying to fire just about everybody that works for the state, in any government job period. So now is not a great time to try to move here and get on with the FDOT, or any other government agency.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,913,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileDoc View Post
Penacola has the better beach.
How good could a beach be without waves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville