Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 03:16 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times

Advertisements

Springfield is crap until they get rid of Roosevelt Gardens & The Plaza Apartment. The people that live there need to be shipped to Oceanway....or better yet Yulee. Get rid of those lowlifes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:04 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
From today's paper . . . . .

New home in historic Jacksonville area will come with a modern twist
The home planned for Springfield could be started this year.

“Modern historic” is the concept behind the blueprint of a new home in Jacksonville’s historic Springfield area, injecting a dose of contemporary style in the neighborhood’s redevelopment.

Content Design Group and Breaking Ground Contracting, both of Jacksonville, are teaming up to build the home, whose design recently won approval from the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission.

The design draws from the Prairie architectural style associated with Henry Klutho in the early 1900s, but it’s not intended to be a copy of the homes built during that era, said Greg Beere, co-owner of Content Design. He said the design appeals to residents who want to move to Springfield but seek a modern style.

Full Article here -
New home in historic Jacksonville area will come with a modern twist | jacksonville.com

Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Springfield is crap until they get rid of Roosevelt Gardens & The Plaza Apartment. The people that live there need to be shipped to Oceanway....or better yet Yulee. Get rid of those lowlifes.
those places arent in the spirngfield historic district.
you're thinking of the places behind shands hospital. ive never been there but i heard they were rough.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
From today's paper . . . . .

New home in historic Jacksonville area will come with a modern twist
The home planned for Springfield could be started this year.

“Modern historic” is the concept behind the blueprint of a new home in Jacksonville’s historic Springfield area, injecting a dose of contemporary style in the neighborhood’s redevelopment.

Content Design Group and Breaking Ground Contracting, both of Jacksonville, are teaming up to build the home, whose design recently won approval from the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission.

The design draws from the Prairie architectural style associated with Henry Klutho in the early 1900s, but it’s not intended to be a copy of the homes built during that era, said Greg Beere, co-owner of Content Design. He said the design appeals to residents who want to move to Springfield but seek a modern style.

Full Article here -
New home in historic Jacksonville area will come with a modern twist | jacksonville.com
that house will cost a pretty penny for this market. think i read $140 square foot x 1800 = $252k not including any unforeseen things. looking at close to $300k i bet
the green and modern building is really cool!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times
Yeah, that house is cool, but its sort of the equivalent of going out & buying a $25K Toyota Prius to "save money" & "be green". You know, a truly greener way would be to reuse what's already there.

Buy an efficient used car, bike/walk to more places & live in a small apartment/condo with good insulation. There you go. It's much cheaper & much greener than the alternatives.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 AM

More new families moving in to the neighborhood....

Name: David and Laura Byres, and their children Alec and Sarah.
Occupation: David is a Biology professor at FSCJ and Laura owns Yard Chicks Inc, a landscape design business.
Fun Fact: David and Laura met in Fiji, while in the Peace Core.

and families that have lived in the SPR Historic District for quite a while too....

Name: Paul Shockey
Status: Wife of 5 years, Alison Shockey, with children Adison (3 ½ ) and John Paul III (7 months)
Occupation: Paul is a real estate developer and restaurateur, while Alison is a 5th grade teacher at Stockton Elementary.
Fun Fact: Paul has the record for the single longest COA application process with the city, as the Historic Preservation Committee reviewed it for 2 years.

The full interviews are here: Springfield Residents The Byres and The Shockeys | mySpringfield

and many, many more New & Long-time resident interviews here: People and Places | mySpringfield

Old 11-05-2010, 06:36 PM

hey yall they just put up pictures of our hallowween festival from last week!!!! <finally>

you know iu just dont know if a costume can get any cuter than these 3 tho!!! <theres more at the gallery myspringfield's Photos | SmugMug> no i wont say if its parental bias!!! =)

Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Here's the full photo gallery of the SPR Halloween Festival, if you're interested:

mySpringfield.org &bull; View topic - SMG Spooky Springfield Halloween Carnival 10/23

The annual Festival is organized by the SMG (Springfield Mommies Group), perhaps the most participatory and well organized "mommies" group in the city: www.springfieldmommies.com

Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 AM

40 posts, read 100,199 times
So, Chean10! Great pics. I've tried to read this thread to see if you actually bought in Springfield? If so, it seems as though you're pretty happy with the area. I may have missed the part whether you're renting or bought in the area. Do you and your family feel safe? It looks from the photos that the area is coming along but one has to feel a place first, for sure. There don't seem to be a lot of rental homes in Springfield if one would like to try the area on first before thinking of purchasing property.

I'm not afraid of urban areas or living in urban areas, but what about some of the boarded up homes like you see in FSU's photos? Are those homes where drug dealers could or have hung out in past years? Just some questions. We'll be looking at Riverside/Avondale and San Marco as well and some other areas. I feel torn sometimes between living at the beach or more in a walkable urban neighborhood and won't know until we get there. Coming from a colder climate, the beach always sounds good but I love some urban life as well so... have to see.

Always love the photos and thanks for posting Chean10 and FSU.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Hey Maggie,

I'll let Chean10 speak for herself.

There are a number of rental homes in SPR, but you'll probably have to checl Craigslist or www.traditionsjax.com (a realty ompany that specializes in the older, historic neighborhoods).

You can also just post on www.myspringfield.org, explain you mau want to rent a house in the neighborhood, and ask if anyone knows of a good rental house available. You'll get some responses.

Boarded up homes are just that, boarded up homes. The vast majority of drug activity has left the neighborhood, though there i is still some residue (as with almost any urban neighborhood). The 2 hot spots are near Liberty & 8th and 8th & Boulevard, I believe. Although these days, I wouldn't exactly cal them hot spots....more like lukewarm maybe? Anyways, really the only people that ar attrcated to boarded up homes are the homeless (to sleep/live in), which we have our fair share of passing through. Neighbors do a good job of keeping those borded up usually, or reporting tem so they can be boarded up.

Riverside & Avondale, in my opinion is almost perfect. It's my favorite neighborhood in Jax (along many, many other people) and I've lived there for quit some time. San Marco is bit more ritzy and less electic/vibrant, while Springfield is a bit more gritty at this time. So take your pick.

I grew up through Riverside's transformation (it used to NOT be a very desirable place to live) and the same genttification is happening here in SPR, hence why we moved here.

As you can see by the countless photos myspringfield's Photos | SmugMug of many, many people of all ages, shades, incomes, etc - it's not a "scary" place to live in the least. Otherwise so many people wouldn't be moving here left and right. But people have different world views and perspectives, so to each his/her own.

There's a lot of new residents that post on www.myspringfield.org, so feel free to ask them your qustions as well.

This article may be of interest as well: Springfield

or any others from the Florida Times-Union, etc that you my wish to read.

Oh, Florida Trend Magazine will be doing an upcoming feature as well. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville