Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Also (jeez there's a lot going on here!)... you'll read about this in the news soon too!

Redevelopment of the EHT/Claude Nolan building (the 1st cadillac dealership in the Southeast, btw) and the Park View Inn site (soon to be demolished).

Just came from a big meeting with the developers, COJ, media, and the community organization SPAR.

Seems like something new and exciting is happening all the time

and the beat goes on....

I must be psychic!

Park View Inn owners ready to demolish old Jacksonville hotel | jacksonville.com

&

Park View Inn owner plans redevelopment - The Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
jsimms,

yea, as with most "progressive" things, Jax is a decade or so behind. It is the only one of it's kind in the city. Go figure!

robyn55,

thankfully, people who like cool, inovative ideas don't really care if you rent a fun, loft-type office space with other professionals or not.

Like these guys, who have been working out of HOBO in Historic Springfield, and are about to make a B I G splash: Jacksonville-based Ringtail has big plans | jacksonville.com & Start-up's goal: Wire, hire, use space at old Jacksonville library | jacksonville.com

Also (jeez there's a lot going on here!)... you'll read about this in the news soon too!

Redevelopment of the EHT/Claude Nolan building (the 1st cadillac dealership in the Southeast, btw) and the Park View Inn site (soon to be demolished).

Just came from a big meeting with the developers, COJ, media, and the community organization SPAR.

Seems like something new and exciting is happening all the time

And the beat goes on....
Cool - innovative? Who gives a fig about that if some "cool - innovative" financial professional shares your personal info over an unsecured network and a bunch of strangers wind up with your personal info and tax returns?

My accountant (in Miami) and I have been joined at the hip since we both started our own firms when we were about 30 (30+ years ago). I've only been with my lawyer (in JAX) for about 10 years. But both of these guys - and I - are 100% when it comes to technology - and 200% when it comes to tech security.

This has nothing to do with fun. It has everything to do with a tech-oriented world where people can do important financial things online - but must do them in a secure environment.

Do you disagree? I don't think there's anything cool about someone stealing my SS number - credit card info - etc. - etc. Robyn

Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamGriffin View Post
Obvisously you have no idea about technology. They can all have secured access to wi-fi. Each person can have their own secure connection. It can be changed daily or weekly as desired. So if there are 5 people renting space that day, each can have their own seperate and secure connection. Please don't speak on what you have no idea about, but what would Robyn be if she didn't speak up on something she has no clue about right??
I know more than you do. And I'll leave it at that. BTW - do you have an accountant - a lawyer - or any other trusted professional? If so - in what kind of environment do they work? The kind where they're renting by the week? Robyn

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 PM

r u saying that all these smart people and all the other similar places in bigger cities are stupid-------or do u think maybe they know what theyre doing ???????

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM

33 posts, read 86,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I know more than you do. And I'll leave it at that. BTW - do you have an accountant - a lawyer - or any other trusted professional? If so - in what kind of environment do they work? The kind where they're renting by the week? Robyn
LOL, my post was deleted because it was rude? What a joke this place is becoming. We aren't allowed to state that someone has no idea what they are talking about?

And Robyn, I do know what I am talking about. I have worked on CMTS devices, I wrote code for Comcast and I have worked in headends. I think I might have a more updated touch on the technology industry than you do.

Robyn, I stated that they can have a secure connection...that is all. I never said I would hire someone that worked there. Once again, you can't stick to the facts.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
LOL, my post was deleted because it was rude? What a joke this place is becoming. We aren't allowed to state that someone has no idea what they are talking about?

And Robyn, I do know what I am talking about. I have worked on CMTS devices, I wrote code for Comcast and I have worked in headends. I think I might have a more updated touch on the technology industry than you do.

Robyn, I stated that they can have a secure connection...that is all. I never said I would hire someone that worked there. Once again, you can't stick to the facts.
If it is any consolation - I didn't complain about your message. And quoted it before it was deleted - so it is preserved for posterity .

I think there's a big difference between a geek who works at a tech company - and a geek like me who has to use the stuff you guys make. I've used computers since I was in college (graduated in 1968) - bought my first office computer in about 1980 (perhaps before you were born) - an IBM 5120. Look it up (we've come up a long way since then). I've traveled with notebooks since the 80's - when you had to use acoustic couplers to "log on". I've forgotten some of my computer languages - like Basic - but still - today - use some DOS programs. I try to keep up with things - but am not willing to put personal stuff into the "cloud" because it's au courant. I suspect more people will be cautious like I am after the current WikiLeaks DoS attacks.

Nevertheless - I respect your current and recent work and experience - and hope you respect mine. FWIW - I suspect the vast majority of computer and other tech users these days are largely or completely clueless if they can't tweet it or text it or do it on Facebook. Many people I meet - including young students - are amazed I can do an Excel spreadsheet. Kind of a sad commentary IMO. Robyn

P.S. I may be the only person in the world who doesn't hate Comcast. My Comcast stuff works 99.999% of the time. Pretty good track record.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
If it is any consolation - I didn't complain about your message. And quoted it before it was deleted - so it is preserved for posterity .

I think there's a big difference between a geek who works at a tech company - and a geek like me who has to use the stuff you guys make. I've used computers since I was in college (graduated in 1968) - bought my first office computer in about 1980 (perhaps before you were born) - an IBM 5120. Look it up (we've come up a long way since then). I've traveled with notebooks since the 80's - when you had to use acoustic couplers to "log on". I've forgotten some of my computer languages - like Basic - but still - today - use some DOS programs. I try to keep up with things - but am not willing to put personal stuff into the "cloud" because it's au courant. I suspect more people will be cautious like I am after the current WikiLeaks DoS attacks.

Nevertheless - I respect your current and recent work and experience - and hope you respect mine. FWIW - I suspect the vast majority of computer and other tech users these days are largely or completely clueless if they can't tweet it or text it or do it on Facebook. Many people I meet - including young students - are amazed I can do an Excel spreadsheet. Kind of a sad commentary IMO. Robyn

P.S. I may be the only person in the world who doesn't hate Comcast. My Comcast stuff works 99.999% of the time. Pretty good track record.

I can appreciate you staying current with technology and can only wish my parents and grandparents would do the same. If I have to explain one more time how to set up contacts in their phones, I may jump off a bridge.

When it comes to this office offering wi-fi, I would hope they would consult a tech firm that could help set up like I said where there is a different password for each user and the owner of the would change passwords on a daily basis (this would eliminate the chance that an ex-office user would come back and do anything bad).

With all that being said, I wouldn't trust anyone renting there to do anything with my SSN or my taxes for that matter. I do have an accountant (taxes are a nightmare in my profession and I would say that about 75% of the people that have quit my profession have done so because they didn't use an accountant) and would never dream of using one that couldn't afford their own office. Would be like using someone out of a van.

But for other things such as a start up company in other fields, I think this is a great option. When I first started in my profession, this would have been a great option for me to get away from my house (new born at the time) so I could work.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Here is the perfect Christmas gift for you :

Signals - Gifts That Inform, Enlighten & Entertain

Had to laugh at what you said. My father called me to complain about Amazon the other day. He couldn't log on. So I asked him when he last logged on - and he said about 2 years ago. Well he changed his email last year - but never told Amazon - and was trying to log on with his new email address . Then he tried to pay with an expired credit card . I just went into his account - and set things straight (much easier than walking him through it). My biggest fear in terms of computer life is my father will buy a new computer with Windows 7.

With taxes - have you ever used Turbotax? I have an accountant - but I walk everything through Turbotax first before I get together with him. It frequently reminds me to remind him about certain things. (OTOH - I don't know if it can handle a schedule C - which you probably need.).

Anyway - guess I have to say something about Springfield (since this is the Springfield thread ). I was downtown today - and saw those new pavers for the first time. It was kind of weird. There were people walking on them - bending down and touching them - like they had never seen a paver before. I really didn't like them (on foot or in the car). There was talk of doing this in Springfield - yes? If so - I'd take a good hard look at the downtown installation first. There are ok pavers - but these aren't them. These are more like cobblestones that you'd find in a medieval city. They're murder for runners - people on bikes - etc. They're even worse than the bricks on the Old Brick Road near Bunnell (the drive on the Old Brick Road is really peculiar - everyone ought to try it once - but once is enough!).

Finally - I know you've ranted about me and the tennis court thing. I finally had a chance to look it up. There do appear to be 2 parks in Springfield that each have 2 hard "playground" type courts. fsu813 says one of these parks is "sketchy" (I will take his word for it). I used to be an avid tennis player before my knee and my rotator cuff fell apart and I took up golf - and I don't consider these places "selling points" for anyone who really likes tennis (or wants to learn to play or get better). But there is a large excellent facility not too far away - Boone Park in Riverside/Avondale (played many many team matches there - it has excellent women's teams - don't know about men's). This is a selling point for everywhere in that general neck of the woods - including Springfield. It's not walking distance - but welcome to Jacksonville . I sometimes drove 60 miles round trip to go to tennis matches (the whole Jacksonville metro area is very big in terms of competitive league tennis - a selling point for the whole metro area IMO). Take care, Robyn

Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Here is the perfect Christmas gift for you :

Signals - Gifts That Inform, Enlighten & Entertain

Had to laugh at what you said. My father called me to complain about Amazon the other day. He couldn't log on. So I asked him when he last logged on - and he said about 2 years ago. Well he changed his email last year - but never told Amazon - and was trying to log on with his new email address . Then he tried to pay with an expired credit card . I just went into his account - and set things straight (much easier than walking him through it). My biggest fear in terms of computer life is my father will buy a new computer with Windows 7.

With taxes - have you ever used Turbotax? I have an accountant - but I walk everything through Turbotax first before I get together with him. It frequently reminds me to remind him about certain things. (OTOH - I don't know if it can handle a schedule C - which you probably need.).

Anyway - guess I have to say something about Springfield (since this is the Springfield thread ). I was downtown today - and saw those new pavers for the first time. It was kind of weird. There were people walking on them - bending down and touching them - like they had never seen a paver before. I really didn't like them (on foot or in the car). There was talk of doing this in Springfield - yes? If so - I'd take a good hard look at the downtown installation first. There are ok pavers - but these aren't them. These are more like cobblestones that you'd find in a medieval city. They're murder for runners - people on bikes - etc. They're even worse than the bricks on the Old Brick Road near Bunnell (the drive on the Old Brick Road is really peculiar - everyone ought to try it once - but once is enough!).

Finally - I know you've ranted about me and the tennis court thing. I finally had a chance to look it up. There do appear to be 2 parks in Springfield that each have 2 hard "playground" type courts. fsu813 says one of these parks is "sketchy" (I will take his word for it). I used to be an avid tennis player before my knee and my rotator cuff fell apart and I took up golf - and I don't consider these places "selling points" for anyone who really likes tennis (or wants to learn to play or get better). But there is a large excellent facility not too far away - Boone Park in Riverside/Avondale (played many many team matches there - it has excellent women's teams - don't know about men's). This is a selling point for everywhere in that general neck of the woods - including Springfield. It's not walking distance - but welcome to Jacksonville . I sometimes drove 60 miles round trip to go to tennis matches (the whole Jacksonville metro area is very big in terms of competitive league tennis - a selling point for the whole metro area IMO). Take care, Robyn

I just read an article about the pavers today on Jacksonville.com ( http://http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-12-09/story/city-says-laura-street-roundabout-will-be-smoother-not-smooth (broken link) ) and they said they are pulling them up and resetting them due to the roughness. Nobody likes them. I personally haven't seen them yet. I do know that they had a secondary purpose of slowing traffic down but I think they realized it was way overboard and uncomfortable.

As far as the tennis courts go, one is a little more sketchy than the other but the statement was "there are non tennis courts or pools" which wasn't true. We have both of them. Now if you would have said "there are no country club worthy courts" I would say you are right. I imagine as the neighborhood comes around (years and years from now probably) the courts will become more of a focal point for improvements. But as of right now they aren't. They are a start though and they are there. We recently had some local pro's offering lessons to kids there (my son was one of the kids) and it was great. And like I said, it wasn't like back when I used to play at the Ravines or anything, but it is definitely playable.

My problem with some of your posts Robyn are the use of absolutes. This tends to be common place not just with you, but with a lot of people. Why is that? Why couldn't a reply have been "they do have courts, they just aren't that great". Your reply was that we didn't have any. And to top it off, you didn't even know what you were talking about. You honestly had no clue if there were any or what the conditions were. That's all I'm asking Robyn. If you don't know about something like that, why speak on it?

I think we got off on the wrong foot. I do think you have a lot to add on many subjects due to your expierences, I just wish when it comes to things that you honestly don't know about (Springfield, since you don't travel there often) just let the post go and let someone else pick up on it.

You will see from here that I'm not all SPRINGFIELD IS THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH. I'm realistic. I do live here (bought here in August after researching and going through the building process for over a year) but I am very subjective about it. Is it for everyone? Nope. Does it have it's flaws? You bet! Is it improving? Without a doubt. Ask me anything about it and I will give you a non emotional response about it.

Last edited by WilliamGriffin; 12-09-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
I imagine as the neighborhood comes around (years and years from now probably) the courts will become more of a focal point for improvements. But as of right now they aren't. They are a start though and they are there. We recently had some local pro's offering lessons to kids there (my son was one of the kids) and it was great. And like I said, it wasn't like back when I used to play at the Ravines or anything, but it is definitely playable.
There's actually been significant interest in upgrading the tennis courts. It's part of the Emerald Necklace park system that will be getting a very large face lift (starting in January, ending.....who knows when)

Here's a rough cut the segment with the tennis courts:

and a general overview

The final version can found at COJ's website, or by visiting the SPAR office at 1321 N. Main Street. 32206.

Construction starts in January, on the first phase (not near the courts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville