Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 AM

24 posts, read 128,466 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any Security system recommendations? I may be taking a new job where I travel alot and want to have one when my wife is at home. What can I expect to pay monthly? Ive heard $20-$30. Installation?

I have a small house, 1200 sq ft, front door and back and a few windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
google Safe Touch security systems. they are local and have excellent service.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,486 times
Hi all!! I figured I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one.. We've talked to Certified, ADT and Safe Touch and can't decide who we'd really like to go with... Does anyone have any pros and cons over these three services?? or any other recommendations?? It would be super helpful! We'd like to make our decision this weekend. Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
We looked at Brinks aka Broadview & Safe Touch. Safe Touch has abtetr quaility service and equipment, in my opinion, and is less expensive. That's hard to beat.

Plus they are local and care about thier reputation locally, which means better all around quality and service.

We've been a fan.

The 2 way communicator is a very nice tool.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,422 times
I agree. Safe Touch seems to have the better equipment. They were very reliable -when that alarm went off the two way communicator had someone on the line fast. Customer service I found to be so so, but the actual service was great.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
We have ADT.....we also have a 2 Way Communicator system with them.........we're happy with their service so far. I mean we haven't had anything happen, but the tech who came out was really knowledgeable and nice........

plus we bought the key fobs so we can turn the alarms on and off with those.....that's a plus. I'm sure everyone has that.

the 2 way thing was nice. they did a test and the tech was on the communicator and I went all over the house and they could hear me and vice versa.

amy

Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 AM

73 posts, read 351,008 times
Based on reputation alone, Safe Touch would be my first call. Throw in the fact they are a local business to boot, then I'm sold. They've put alot of effort into building that, and i've not heard anyone complain.

I've had to work with ADT and their parent Tyco on numerous things over the years largely work related and that's helped sour me on using them for personal ventures. By and large felt they got to big, so they don't listen very well anymore. However, if SafeTouch didn't work out, I would still likely have more trust in them than the rest, as aggravating as it may get.

I know Kentronics Security and Scott Alarm are another local outfit, but I've heard nothing about them good or bad.

Certified Security Systems is another outfit, but previous experience with them was lousy at best.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
If you are in the military, ADT has a military clause that allows you to terminate the contract when you have a change of duty station. That is why I chose them. They are corporate with local locations but they subcontract work, from what I was told. No problems with them, though. Also if you have Terminix, you get a discount.

The others did not have that clause.

I liked SafeTouch but one of the biggest things to watch out for is the automatic renewal of contract for 3 years. It may be a problem if you don't plan to stay in the house for greater than 4-5 years. Many neighbors have Safetouch but they are retirees and do not plan to move.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM

622 posts, read 1,665,486 times
Thanks, everyone!! We're actually looking for our business, but the principles would be the same.. I really appreciate the advice..!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:16 PM

37 posts, read 95,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
Thanks, everyone!! We're actually looking for our business, but the principles would be the same.. I really appreciate the advice..!

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Check out the BBB on Safetouch, pretty ugly. Ill see if I can find the article but a few years back Safetouch was in the news. A agent was giving her boyfriend codes and such while he would go rob the house's. Certified is what I decided to go with, they are almost a little too mom and pop for me. The guy that installed my system was pretty rough but I get a hold of a local person everytime. I dont know much about ADT. Again, this is my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville