U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 AM

17,722 posts, read 20,535,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrik1 View Post
Hi Karla. I'm in Pennsburg, just 10 miles north of Quakertown. Are you familiar? I am so beside myself with this pending decision. I cry all the time. Hopefully there is something in Jax that will touch me.
Terrik
I grew up in Huntingdon Valley in Montgomery County. I have family in Doylestown & Quakertown. It amazes me how both of these areas have built up over the years .
The newer developed areas of Quakertown are similar to many areas in Jacksonville. You will get a mix of new subdivisions along with your older established areas.

Fruit Cove you will find some older neighborhood (built in the mid to late 80's) that have larger lots. We have friends who live there and are on a 1 acre lot.

To get the kind of "rural" of the 309 Quakertown area of the past you will have to go west of Jax which would not be great driving for work.

As far as bugs I can honestly say I have never had a bug issue. I have maybe seen 1 or 2 palmetto bugs in the house over the last 18 months. We have a quarterly bug service I actually had more of an issue with them when I was living in Phila & NJ.

The heat well we do have more humidity here than where you are, but as I like to say " you don't have to shovel humidity"
I have been in Center City in the middle of the summer and there really wasn't that much of a difference.

The biggest difference is where we live we are only 13 miles form the ocean so we do get the sea breeze
Our winters would be like your late October November.

This was an unusual winter I don't remember such a cold winter in the 18 years I have been here.

Traffic again this will depend on where you live. Certain roads for example 17 & Blanding in OrangePark can be a nightmare because there are so many sub-divisions that feed into these roads. In my opinion the major highways here still have less traffic that driving 95 lets say from from NE Phila to Center City during rush hour.

I also noticed when I was in Quakertown last summer that 309 has become much busier traffic wise.

Do you know the area of Jacksonville where you husband will be working ?

One of the biggest differences I noticed when I moved here was the slower paced lifestyle, it was not such a rush rush as I experienced up north. I joked after about 9 months "I am probably going to live longer with this less stressed laid back lifestyle"

Plus remember we do not have a state income tax which would be an added bonus on top of his raise.

The best advise I can give, is when you come down to check out the area do so with an open mind. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM

402 posts, read 588,000 times
Didnt know OP was refering to only bugs in the house, can you please point out where he said that? I cant find it so spraying is not going to solve anything.

Even with spraying however they can and will get in the house. They run around the sidewalks and porches. I have huge flying bugs the size of a half dollar beating up against my sliding glass door almost nightly in the summer.

My point is, there is nowhere in the US with bigger and badder bugs than in Florida. Does this present danger? No but it is a fact and to say there is no bug issues in Florida is a flat out lie like most of what you say is.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 18,208 times
Karla, thanks so much for all your info. it helps that you know where i am coming from - literaly. my husband will be working in atlantic beach. right now his commute from Pennsburg to Horsham is 1 hour and 15 minutes, so anything less than that would of course be an improvement. as for "shoveling humidity", i'd rather shovel snow (great exercise) than feel unenergized and miserable by excessive humidity. we had more snow this year than we have had in years. i must say - it was BEAUTIFUL. after the first snowfall, i went for a walk at dusk. no one, absolutely no one was outside, it was so quiet you couldn't hear a sound, there were thousands of stars in the sky, the snow was so pristine white and sparkled like tiny crystals under the soft glow of the streelights - i felt like i was in heaven and didn't want to come back inside. I have always had an appreciation for the miracle of each and every season. i suppose i'm also a hopeless romantic. i guess everyone's different. anyway, i do appreciate your advise about having an open mind and that is exactly what I intend to do. we will be coming down the first week of may - hope you have nice weather then. thanks again, karla!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Parks
I don't know why you seem to have a problem with the "honesty" of my posts but that is your problem. I don't tolerate lying in RL so why would I use a message board as a place to do so.

Everyone one has their own opinions of where they live and what they experience

Anyway I do not have a problem with bugs in the house, yes there are bugs outside but many of them are beneficial insects that help control the "bad bugs"

We have never had bugs flying against our sliding glass doors.

terrik
I am very familiar with the Hatboro/Horsham area I would say the Southside and Mandarin would be very similar. There are also areas of San Marco that remind me of the area also.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 PM

9,342 posts, read 15,652,532 times
Karla lives in a beautiful home and is an immaculate housekeeper. Which is why I have never invited her to my home

But I haven't had a problem with roaches either and I have two teens that are...teens...dropping food on the floor and leaving dirty dishes in their bedrooms, a cat that we leave the garage door open for during the day and a dog.....and me

Once in a while, when I leave the screen door open, a lizard or small bird will fly in, but the cat takes care of them....JUST KIDDING...... we catch them and send them back outside.

It all depends on where you live and how you live. In my case, I'm just lucky, cuz we have a very relaxed lifestyle in that respect.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM

402 posts, read 588,000 times
Karla, I was not refering to you, sorry you took it that way.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 AM

Thank you Parks
With your post directly under mine and the post that followed (which is now no longer there) can see how it appeared that my post was the target
I appreciate you clearing that up

Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM

10,773 posts, read 6,936,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrik1 View Post
Karla, thanks so much for all your info. it helps that you know where i am coming from - literaly. my husband will be working in atlantic beach. right now his commute from Pennsburg to Horsham is 1 hour and 15 minutes, so anything less than that would of course be an improvement. as for "shoveling humidity", i'd rather shovel snow (great exercise) than feel unenergized and miserable by excessive humidity. we had more snow this year than we have had in years. i must say - it was BEAUTIFUL. after the first snowfall, i went for a walk at dusk. no one, absolutely no one was outside, it was so quiet you couldn't hear a sound, there were thousands of stars in the sky, the snow was so pristine white and sparkled like tiny crystals under the soft glow of the streelights - i felt like i was in heaven and didn't want to come back inside. I have always had an appreciation for the miracle of each and every season. i suppose i'm also a hopeless romantic. i guess everyone's different. anyway, i do appreciate your advise about having an open mind and that is exactly what I intend to do. we will be coming down the first week of may - hope you have nice weather then. thanks again, karla!
Bugs (except for termites) are no big deal here in terms of inside. Palmetto bugs are outdoor critters that only get into your house by accident if you leave windows/sliding doors open.

The bigger problem is the weather. JAX is in the south - and has southern weather. You can expect high temps (highs in the 80's-90's from about May to early October). Lots of humidity too. I used to live in Philadelphia - and hated the cold weather - where I could only get outside and do stuff I liked a few months a year. I lived in Miami - and find JAX cold in the winter (spring and fall are delightful but may not last very long). But that's me. You have to answer the question for yourself. FWIW - one advantage of the heat/humidity is you can get to be 60+ - like me - still have smooth skin - and never have to use a lot of gunk on your face. But - quite frankly - with you waxing lyrical about winter snow up north in Pennsylvania - I don't think you'd like it here (on my part - the only place I've ever liked snow was on ski vacations out west - and I traveled with a humidifier ).

BTW - I don't think you mentioned the nature of your husband's job move - or what kind of work you do for a living. If this is a promotion for your husband within a company - and he is expected to do it - and you don't work - then I'd "suck it up" and learn to appreciate the good aspects of his transfer (and if my assumptions aren't correct - I'd be glad to revise my opinion). Robyn

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,415,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
matt
Avoid 32209, 32208, 32206, 32202, 32218 (north 32218 is growing though...but still very redneck). actually.....Jacksonville is generally seperated by the rivers. Anything North of the St. Johns is considered the Northside (This includes oceanway...mostly white....mostly rednecks...but there are some newer nice areas popping up.) West of the river is Westside...westside is more country. Orange Park has some newer developments (Oak Leaf)..IMO Blanding is hell with traffic. South of the river is Mandarin and South Side (this is where I would look). East of the river is Arlington and the Beaches. Not my cup of tea...but I have friends that love the beach. The newer stuff is around 32258...heading towards St. John's County (just south of Jacksonville) A lot of people are moving out...since they will still be a short drive from the city.

Terrik
Doesn't sound like Jacksonville is your place. Bugs suck...We are very clean...but Palmettos will get into your house anyway. (and they are basically large flying cockroaches). It gets VERY hot...but almost every building has central air. You do get used to it. I would check out Avendale (cool feel..kinda pricey)...Ortega...or even Middleburgh (very country....very hick)
32218 is one of Northside's better zips because it's close to the airport and because more middle-class/upper middle-class/upper class neighborhoods are located here. I'm not gonna lie, I'd say a few parts of 32218 are ghetto like Dinsmore for example. The main road through Dinsmore is Dunn Ave. Dunn Ave. gets ghetto going east but any other direction, you're good. 32206 is so-so because while Springfield is on the up-and-up, it's almost like Arlington in that there are dicey parts next to the better parts. 32208 and 32209 you're spot on, nothing but swaths of ghetto.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM

624 posts, read 662,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Terrik

I also noticed when I was in Quakertown last summer that 309 has become much busier traffic wise.

I think it's because more people are using it as an alternate route to Bethlehem/Allentown and vice versa... like me for instance. My Grand Daughters live in Bethlehem. I call it the "scenic route". Depending on traffic, it can take about the same time, and no toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville