Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM

32 posts, read 103,924 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live about 20 mins west of Orlando, and will be looking relocate in early June/late May (we like the area but want to branch out our possible options.

We are thinking of checking out Jacksonville this weekend. Where should we go? Any particular areas we should see? Any areas we should avoid? We want to see the Jacksonville we would know if we lived there.

BTW, we are 22 (almost 23) and 24 and have been married for almost 3 years and are trying to start a family. I'm looking for practical advice on how to explore Jacksonville, not "Don't move here it sucks" (I've found the Orlando section is very much like that even though we've enjoyed it here where we live).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
What kind of work do you do - and where do you plan to do it? This is a huge geographical area - and you don't want to commute an hour + to work. If jobs aren't a factor - what kinds of things do you like to do - things you want to be close to? What kind of living situation are you looking for (we have everything from high rises in/near downtown to places where you can raise horses in the greater metro area)? For example - some people live out at the beaches simply so they can "hit the surf" quickly when "surf's up". What's your approximate price range in terms of rent or purchase prices? Robyn

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

154 posts, read 323,938 times
Friday afternoon/evening
Check into Quality Suites Oceanfront at Jacksonville Beach. Walk down the beach or boardwalk (north) to the Ocean Club and enjoy late afternoon cocktails on their oceanfront patio. Continue walking down the boardwalk (north) to Casa Marina for a wonderful, seafood dinner. After dinner you might want to venture out on the pier nearby. Walk to Freebird Live for a concert featuring, Steve Morse. The progressive-rock guitarist plays on March 12 at Freebird Live, 200 N. First St., Jacksonville Beach. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door. 246-BIRD. All of this is walking distance from your hotel.

Saturday
Arise early to feast on the wonderful Atlantic sunrise. Enjoy a dip in the hotel pool or the Atlantic ocean if you are brave enough this time of the year. After breakfast, check out of your hotel and drive south on Third Street or A1A South to Ponte Vedra Beach. You might want to drive down Ponte Vedra Boulevard to view some of the most expensive homes in Northeast Florida. You might want to drive down PGA Boulevard and take a brief look at Sawgrass. This is where The Players Championship is held every year.

Take J. Turner Butler Blvd. West (adjacent to Ponte Vedra Beach) and head for Jacksonville. Exit on Gate Parkway and turn right. Turn right again on Town Center Drive and drive to the St. Johns Town Center Mall -- An outdoor mall and the newest. While your in the area you can check out some of the apartment complexes and condos on Touchton Rd. You are in Deerwood in the Southside area of town.

From there drive to Riverside to check into your bed and breakfast in Riverside. I recommend The House on Cherry Street, 1844 Cherry Street (featured in Southern Living Magazine). I'm not going to give directions to get to Riverside from Southside (about a 20 minute drive). You could spend the rest of the day exploring beautiful Riverside and Avondale. You might want to consider dinner at Brick's in The Shoppes at Avondale. For evening entertainment you might want to drive downtown (or take a taxi) to The Jacksonville Landing. The lights are beautiful at night and the St. John's River is spectacular.

Sunday
Get up as early as you can. After breakfast (check out of your b&b) you can drive downtown to North Main Street to check out the Springfield Area of town. It is transitional and very historic. From their drive South on Main Street and cross the Main Street Bridge and check out San Marco. I really like San Marco. From San Marco take San Jose Boulevard and drive all the way down to Beauclerc/Mandarin/Julington Creek/and Fruit Cove. I really like Mandarin Rd. for a very nice scenic drive.

A weekend is not much time for a huge place like Jacksonville, but you can get a good idea. I wouldn't bother with the Northside, the Westside or Arlington.

Last edited by michaeldee; 03-10-2010 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM

32 posts, read 103,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What kind of work do you do - and where do you plan to do it? This is a huge geographical area - and you don't want to commute an hour + to work. If jobs aren't a factor - what kinds of things do you like to do - things you want to be close to? What kind of living situation are you looking for (we have everything from high rises in/near downtown to places where you can raise horses in the greater metro area)? For example - some people live out at the beaches simply so they can "hit the surf" quickly when "surf's up". What's your approximate price range in terms of rent or purchase prices? Robyn
We enjoy careers in which we are working with youth, but we will probably be looking for basic office work at first. So maybe working in a corporate office at first doing admin assistant type stuff. We both have B.S. degrees, but not very useful ones career wise haha (both have degree's in religion). We are pretty open as to what line of work we go into to. Would like to find an entry level position and start a career.

We are active and like to get out there and do things. We enjoy running and enjoy taking walks. We want to find somewhere classy with family fun. We do enjoy the beach.

We will probably be looking to rent for the first 6 months to a year or until we feel stable there. The price range will depend largely on the jobs we get. I'd like to stay under $1100 a month for housing if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldee View Post
A weekend is not much time for a huge place like Jacksonville, but you can get a good idea. I wouldn't bother with the Northside, the Westside or Arlington.
Wow thanks for all of that! I will certainly be taking some of your suggestions.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM

154 posts, read 323,938 times
Hi Jacklynn, I think you should be able to easily find an apartment for $1100 or under. I would think if you're going to rent for just a year or so maybe just a one bedroom would be the most practical. Southside has tons of apartments and shopping availability. Since Jacksonville is so big, I think much of the decision where to live will depend on where you find jobs. If you ended up finding employment in Southside, this would be an ideal location for living in Baymeadows, the beaches, or even Riverside/San Marco. I personally do not like a long commute and the high gas prices.

Hmm, a degree in religion? Have you considered non-profit organizations? My favorite job out of all the jobs I worked in was a non-profit - good benefits and very rewarding. I would choose non-profit over the corporate world anyday. It's not just about the money.

You are in the perfect stage of life -- early twenties, college educated and starting a new family. Blessings to you and may you enjoy all it has to offer.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Took a look - and there are even plenty of rentals in Ponte Vedra Beach for under $1000/month. Some have a free month's rent - less than $100 to move in - etc. There are a lot of churches here where a degree in religion might be useful in terms of a job search. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville