Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

I wish we would have gotten a pix of the location- it is zero lot line- maybe 10-12 feet from a conventional house. Although I use the term "conventional" loosely. This is the funkiest neighborhood with lots of strange homes side by side with newer, nicer homes. A lot of individuals live n this area!

It's a huge lot, so I am wondering if they intend to replicate the buildings on the other half of the lot.

Beside the smaller "garage" is a pit that appears to be filled with black, plastic tubing about 6" in diameter. The tubing is snaked back and forth forming a rectangle and is covered with some type of cloth. The end of the tubing goes into a cement platform with a manhole-like cover. Does anyone know what this could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Geodesic Dome Homes-march-2010a-019.jpg   Geodesic Dome Homes-march-2010a-020.jpg   Geodesic Dome Homes-march-2010a-021.jpg  

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 03-20-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM

238 posts, read 782,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I wish we would have gotten a pix of the location- it is zero lot line- maybe 10-12 feet from a conventional house. Although I use the term "conventional" loosely. This is the funkiest neighborhood with lots of strange homes side by side with newer, nicer homes. A lot of individuals live n this area!

It's a huge lot, so I am wondering if they intend to replicate the buildings on the other half of the lot.

Beside the smaller "garage" is a pit that appears to be filled with black, plastic tubing about 6" in diameter. The tubing is snaked back and forth forming a rectangle and is covered with some type of cloth. The end of the tubing goes into a cement platform with a manhole-like cover. Does anyone know what this could be?
I think that could be a solar water heater for either a pool or the house water. Usually the pipes are coiled to retain the heat from the panels above it (or the house).

If not, then maybe some sort of septic tank...

Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Boy - another bunch of stick slab-on-grade houses - and ugly to boot. Just what we need here. Robyn

Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 PM

238 posts, read 782,402 times
well different strokes for differet folks. I think its kinda cool, but not too fond of the paint job...looks like something from willy wonka (the original)

Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
I think the domes are cool and the paint job is great. I'd love having those people as my neighbors- matter of fact, I generally tend to *only* get along with people who posses some degree of unique human spirit.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:24 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,847 times
I like the way they look from the inside. They are using steel beam floor joists too!

I wonder how hard it is to make those domes water tight. With all of those seams, I would imagine that it would be tough to make sure there are no leaks. I wonder what type of material they are using on the roof.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,648 times
I'm into the eclectic but those paint schemes are hideous

Old 03-21-2010, 01:41 PM

717 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Default not a geodesic, but a dome home nonetheless

When I thought I was going to stay in Jax for a long time, and I couldn't find a house to my liking, I started researching dome homes and picked the Monolithic dome home, which I think is slightly better than geodesic.

Monolithic — Home of the Monolithic Dome

Check out the Homes tab.

I still want to own/live in a monolithic dome home. Just not sure what state yet.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-VA-FL View Post
I think that could be a solar water heater for either a pool or the house water. Usually the pipes are coiled to retain the heat from the panels above it (or the house).

If not, then maybe some sort of septic tank...
I suspect it's some type of drip septic system. Solar water heating panels generally go on the roof. Robyn

Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-VA-FL View Post
well different strokes for differet folks. I think its kinda cool, but not too fond of the paint job...looks like something from willy wonka (the original)
As long as all of us wind up paying for lousy construction in the form of assessments on almost all of our insurance policies (including our auto policies so it's not just homeowners' policies) - I think all of us have a right to complain about construction techniques. Here - I see no evidence of things like hurricane straps - the most minimal stuff to decrease the chances of wind damage. One reasonable gust of wind - and this thing is history. I've seen double-wides with better wind protection.

Also - if this is a drip septic system - good luck. I live on a marsh (with a lot of wildlife) - and fought with other neighbors for 3 years about a new house on the marsh that was going to use a drip irrigation system. They are a difficult to use/prone to failure cheap way to try to deal with human waste - and have no place in urban/suburban areas IMO. FWIW - we won some battles in our sewage dispute - didn't win the war - but the economy has left the speculator in bad shape (half built house which he hasn't been able to sell).

Also note that the monolithic dome construction mentioned above is a totally different animal (I had occasion to investigate it when I was on the building committee for a synagogue that wanted a dome). Much sturdier - often concrete - construction. Pretty pricey too. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville