U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:00 PM

153 posts, read 181,833 times

Advertisements

I am researching condo's in florida.
I have been on the computer, talking to people, gathering information.
Now I am planning my trip down.

I sort have gotten my heart set on Las Palmas for a variety of reasons.
I would like to hear from someone who has lived there. I spoke with a woman who rented and she sounded very negative....said the walls were paper thin.

Are there any other condos on the ICW that are nice that people are familiar with. And what's the inside word on La's Palmas?
appreciate any hellp

thanks
from a NYer

Charlene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM

238 posts, read 494,816 times
I lived in Las Palmas a few years back when it was apartment, then when they converted to condos we bought one onthe marsh. I do have to saythe place is pretty nice. I wouldnt call it ICW (well it is,butnot in the way its used on here, because we are referring to JAx) sorry my keyboard is actin up and hard to type. Ne ways, Its in the north end of st aug..kinda at the end of town. So nothin to do within walking biking distance for the most part. But its a short drive to everything. Very close to vilano beach

FYI thre are alot of college (flagler) students livng there. I was at the time, and i still have friensds living there. I never had a noise issue unless my psycho neighbor above me CRANKed his surround sound system. Compared to other places Ive lived its no different with noise. IF you live in a condo, you Will hear neighbors, if they are loud at all. Townhomes on the other hand can be much better. If you hve any specifics you wanna know, leme know and Ill try and answer. Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks so much for the info.
I am looking at the TownHouses
I am planning on moving there with my teen son...who will be in college by the time we get there....so the college students are actually a plus!
Since I am considering buying I just wanted to make sure that it's a nice place as far as how they keep up the grounds etc.

thanks again
Charlene
PS Where did you go to college...my son is interested in Flagler

Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM

238 posts, read 494,816 times
Well then it sounds like it would be nice place for your situation. Its only like a 5 min. drive from Flagler. I attended flagler for 3 years before moving to jax. Its a really nice campus, right in the middle of downtown st aug. It is a very conservative school, but I enjoyed my time there. I was ready for something "bigger" when I moved up to jax.

They keep the grounds pretty clean. Overall the complex is nice, it has a nice pool and hot tub area as well. hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 PM

227 posts, read 256,392 times
I don't know about Las Palmas, but I can vouch for Flagler College.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,039 times
We own a condo at Las Palmas and have lived here for the past 6 years. Find it to be a great area. We have often taken a quick bike to downtown for breakfast etc.. Convenient to Jacksonville, great amenities, clean and well kept grounds. Mixed ages of residents, some college students but also retirees and young families. We have had no issues with noise or anything else. Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM

926 posts, read 1,377,322 times
I would recommend that you rent there first before you buy as I have heard issues of noise not just the sound of youth but the paper thin walls and for that reason I would be cautious
A great location but there are also some issues with foreclosures and whether you will get financing
My daughter fell in love with Flagler but lasted only a term as you are forced to live in and there were several issues she could not cope with

Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,203,260 times
Flagler College is a very good private college. The college is expensive and grant money is drying up due to the economic situation. St. Johns State College is located on the northwest side of St. Augustine (not downtown) and is more reasonably priced. It will help if you move to FL at least a year prior to your son enrolling as you would get in-state tuition for St. Johns. Las Palmas is an above average apartments turned condo development. Some of the townhouse floorplans are quite nice and the amenities are well kept. It's location is not truely on the waterfront of ICW. It's located on the marsh on the north side of St. Augustine. You could bike into downtown from Las Palmas, but you have to be very careful as the streets are very narrow, have no bike lanes and are clogged with tourist's cars, sighteeing vehicles (trains with tires) and horse drawn carriages. As mentioned by Peter, I would advise that you be very cautious before diving into condo ownership. In FL, there are many issues with condos that should be thoroughly researched before making that big step into ownership. Foreclosures are a huge problem which impact monthly condo fees and the ability for anyone (no matter how good your credit score is) to get a mortgage loan on one. Insurance is very hard to obtain at a reasonable price. Many developments do not have adequate reserves in place to cover building repairs so condo owners are being slapped with special onetime assessments totaling $7 - $10,000. Noise levels in any communal living situation depend upon who your neighbors are. If you rent, you can move when the lease is up, but if you own, you are stuck. Upkeep on homes & condos can be much higher in FL than in other areas of the country. The long months of high heat and humidity plus the salt-water breezes can really take a toll on the components of a home. Hope this has helped.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 AM

WOW I haven't been here in a while. Thanks for all that everyone!!! I actually bought a condo in the Preserves, which I am now selling....although it's lovely there. And a second one for my son in Crescent Beach, which was just a ridiculously priced foreclosure in a tiny community near the beach. WE LOVE that one. I am looking at Las Palmas again. I might live in the Crescent Beach one and let my son live at Las Palmas since it's so close. There are some great deals there right now. ssclulow...thanks for the info about St John's college...if he's not happy at Flagler after a year...he can always go there.
Thanks again everyone....great info!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Hey Peter,
My son will hopefully be going to Flagler (we are waiting to hear). He has the choice of living on campus or not because I am moving down there...so he could, I believe, live at home. He thinks he won't make any friends if he lives at home and wants to dorm...but I have heard a lot of negative things about dorming (mainly the food
I know you said your daughter had an issue with dorming...so what are your thoughts?
thanks
Charlene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville