Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times

Advertisements

I know that's a relative term, but are there any private schools in the area that have a more affordable tuition rate? With 3 kids, we won't be able to afford $10,000+ a year each. I was hoping with all the private schools in the area, tuition wouls be more "competitive", but all of them I've seen have cost a small fortune!

Any ideas? Particularly interested in elementary right now.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Trinity Christian seems to be reasonably priced. Home (Trinity Christian Academy)

Financial Information (Trinity Christian Academy)

Old 03-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Mandarin Christian School is higher than Trinity. Mandarin Christian School

Mandarin Christian School

Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Providence School is even higher than those 2. Welcome to Providence School of Jacksonville, Florida

Tuition and Fees - Providence School of Jacksonville, Florida

Old 03-27-2010, 03:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
Thanks! I'll check them out.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I know you haven't moved here yet. But since metro JAX is so big - price is certainly not the only consideration (unless you really love driving). In addition - most private schools here have religious affiliations (Bolles being the most notable exception). A lot are pretty fundamentalist. A fair number were started so parents could avoid desegregated schools. I'm not saying this is good - bad - or indifferent (although I can say that I wouldn't want a child of mine to attend a school that taught creationism - or its newest incarnation - intelligent design). Just things to keep in mind when you're deciding whether a particular school might be a good fit for your children - and your beliefs about education.

In addition - some of the religious schools - like Bishop Kenny (Catholic) - used to have lots of non-Catholic students when we first moved here - because not enough Catholics applied. These days - Catholics will get preference over non-Catholics. Don't know about other religious schools.

Also - don't know anything about your finances - or your kids (whether they're average - or great scholars - or the next Tim Tebow!). A lot of the private schools here (including Bolles) have scholarship programs. Robyn

P.S. Note that Tim Tebow was home schooled - but played football at Nease High School in St. Johns County. A fair number of younger people I know home school their kids (our dentist has 8 kids - and his wife home schools them). Home schooling is a very personal decision. But I have to say - a lot of home schooled kids I've met have received really excellent educations.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
My kids attend Hendricks Day School and we have been very happy there. It began as a Methodist school, but is no longer affiliated. They do still have an hour of chapel on Friday, but I sat in on a couple and it is very tame, as they have kids of different and no faiths attending.

You will find schools that cost less and some that cost more, but even the tuition for the upper grades is under 10k a year. I've been satisfied with the administration and educators.

Welcome to Hendricks Day School

Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 28,069 times
Seacoast Christian Academy is a great private school and very affordable for a family of kids. My daughter went there from Prek to 1st grade, so 3 years. I took her out because they did not teach much science and relied upon bible verses and stories to fill in the gaps. Our family is agnostic so I thought it was time to move on however for a Christian family the school would work well.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDprecious View Post
Seacoast Christian Academy is a great private school and very affordable for a family of kids. My daughter went there from Prek to 1st grade, so 3 years. I took her out because they did not teach much science and relied upon bible verses and stories to fill in the gaps. Our family is agnostic so I thought it was time to move on however for a Christian family the school would work well.
Christian kids don't need to know science to advance in academics? Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM

31 posts, read 109,126 times
Hmm. Guardian Lutheran school. We went there a few years, and we were very happy. Then they got a terrible principal, and we left, but she is gone now Might be worth checking out! Small, and the education was excellent. St. Joes in Mandarin and San Juan Del Rio in St. Johns County... alot of the Catholic and Lutheran schools are cheaper because they are very into education, and get financial support from their diocese or whatever. We went to Mandarin Christian for only one year. I know a lot of people like it, but I think the tuition is too high for the quality of education received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville