Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
To All, about the Hurricanes:

I have lived in Miami since 1975, and have a house on Key Largo. We went through Daniel/Katrina/Rita/Wilma and the big one, Andrew. And obviously all of the smaller ones. I never really thought about the shape of the state, and the generally path of storms until my husband went to Jax with a major, Japanese client a few years back and received a presentation from the Chamber of Commerce.

The presentation also had a brochure which showed the path of Cat 4 and above storms from the 1800s to the current time. Colors representing all the major ones. Jax was untouched. The guy from the chamber explained that because your area is "tucked into" the armpit, with lower Florida being the body and GA and especially S & N Carolina sticking way out (like the arm), that the statistical likelihood of Jax being hit by storms is miniscule compared to the rest of the state and further north.

I don't know how to insert links properly, and can't find the info that my husband received, but here's a link that shows likelihood:

Florida Hurricane Info

You can see that Miami is basically 1:6 while Jax is 1:100

Which is why your port has been so actively beefed up, and why international shipping lines/businesses are expanding in your area, in case you've wondered about that. So I stand by my statement that one of the benefits of relocating into your area is that hurricanes are much less likely there than anywhere else in the state.
Investorscooter - what the CofC was trying to sell is a "bill of goods" - the same bill of goods the NE Florida homebuilders try to sell to state officials to justify building codes here that are more lax than those in other parts of the state.

The simple fact of the matter is that hurricanes aren't simple (they come in all flavors). And the vast majority aren't cat 4 or higher. Yet lesser hurricanes can do a great deal of damage. Through sustained winds (Andrew was a cat 3 where it hit us in Coconut Grove - and it pulled metal railings out of concrete condo balconies - as well as ripping off a lot of our roof - and imploding our building lobby and numerous units that didn't have hurricane shutters). Storm surge (ours in Coconut Grove was 14 feet - it was 20+ feet 10 miles south of us). Or simply torrential rains. If you look at this history of important storms - you'll see that a lot of damage was caused by storms that never reached hurricane status - but dumped huge amounts of rain in various areas:

Hurricane History

I lived in Philadelphia when Agnes was in the northeast (wasn't even a hurricane then) - and although the storm never came anywhere close to us - there was an enormous amount of damage caused by flooding.

One of the facts the CofC obviously won't mention is that a lot of storms that wind up in this area are "back door" storms. They hit on the west coast - and exit on the east coast. I call it "doing a Charley" (after the storm of the same name) There are a few of them listed in the link I posted. And because Florida is narrow and flat - there is really very little to slow down a storm on its way from west to east.

As for our port - we have a great natural port here with access to the railroad and important parts of the interstate highway system (I-95 and I-10). So it makes sense to have a port here if you're looking for a port in the southeast. We have the Navy here too - but it sends its ships out to sea at the first sign of trouble (and I suspect commercial ships would do the same if they were in port).

Here's a brief history of this area and hurricanes:

Jacksonville,Florida hurricanes

I agree with Nasty that if you live in the SE - you're basically rolling the dice (although you can improve your odds by building wisely - buying decent insurance - and keeping an eye on the weather reports during hurricane season). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM

94 posts, read 185,898 times
Default Gulf Coast no more.

We have been seriously look at the Fl Gulf Coast to move to, but with the Oil Spill, we don't want to take the risk.

I lived in Jacksonville about 40 years ago, so I am familar with the weather in NE Florida, but I am sure all else has changed.

Anyway, can someone direct me to a resource for info on Fernandino Beach. It looks very interesting. We are retired and like the small town. old Florida feeling.

How far is it to decent shopping?

Any input is appreciated.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Investorscooter - what the CofC was trying to sell is a "bill of goods" - the same bill of goods the NE Florida homebuilders try to sell to state officials to justify building codes here that are more lax than those in other parts of the state.

Read more: fernandina beach/amelia island

Again, I am not saying that Jax will not receive a hurricane, nor hurricane force winds or major rain events, but statistically the historic weather patterns are FAVORABLE for locating to Jacksonville/Amelia Island area, as compared to other areas of the state. Even the link you inbedded shows fewer events than other major metropolitan coastal areas, with maybe exception of Tampa. This is one of the reasons why FB has an historic district - the wooden Victorian houses and brick commercial structures withstood 100+ years of bad weather. The historic record is not a fluke; it's based on functions of geography and meteorology, although patterns are probably going to shift due to global climate change effects.

As for building standards, it's too bad that municipalities/industry is so short-sighted. A common occurance, but stupid nonetheless.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 AM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Again, I am not saying that Jax will not receive a hurricane, nor hurricane force winds or major rain events, but statistically the historic weather patterns are FAVORABLE for locating to Jacksonville/Amelia Island area, as compared to other areas of the state. Even the link you inbedded shows fewer events than other major metropolitan coastal areas, with maybe exception of Tampa. This is one of the reasons why FB has an historic district - the wooden Victorian houses and brick commercial structures withstood 100+ years of bad weather. The historic record is not a fluke; it's based on functions of geography and meteorology, although patterns are probably going to shift due to global climate change effects.

As for building standards, it's too bad that municipalities/industry is so short-sighted. A common occurance, but stupid nonetheless

Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
We have been seriously look at the Fl Gulf Coast to move to, but with the Oil Spill, we don't want to take the risk.

I lived in Jacksonville about 40 years ago, so I am familar with the weather in NE Florida, but I am sure all else has changed.

Anyway, can someone direct me to a resource for info on Fernandino Beach. It looks very interesting. We are retired and like the small town. old Florida feeling.

How far is it to decent shopping?

Any input is appreciated.
If you are concerned about the oil spill (and I am very concerned)- avoid all of Florida (and most of the east coast as well). It's currently caught in a loop eddy in the gulf - but any change in wind/water patterns could change that. Robyn

Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post

As for building standards, it's too bad that municipalities/industry is so short-sighted. A common occurance, but stupid nonetheless
100 years is pi**ing in the ocean when it comes to major weather and similar events (like earthquakes - volcanic activity - etc.). Heck - we could be dealing with the effects of this oil spill for the next 100 years. Robyn

Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia66 View Post
We have our fair share of logging trucks but they are limited to A1A and 8th street. Hardly any nasty paper smell since they changed their processing system about 7 years ago. I relocated here from the northeast and love it. Beaches are clean and hardly ever crowded. There is a nice downtown area that has some history and charm. We have seen lots of growth in the last 7 years and that has no resulted in lots of good real estate buys with the slower market. Also being to close to Jacksonville and the Airport is nice. For local information see www.ameliaislandvideo.com or www.fbnewsleader.com

John Holbrook - Happy to answer any questions about the area.
Hello,

My husband and I are planning to move to amelia island from Tifton. We have family in Tifton and Jacksonville.
I wanted to know about:
-employment opportunities
-crime rate
-discrimination/prejudice issues
-housing market
-recreation
any other info you can supply.
Thanks in advance and I hope you have an awesome day!!!!!

sbernavil@live.com

Last edited by sbernavil; 07-17-2010 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
It's not only a question of being close to Mayo - but a question of being close to any major medical facility. This is probably not a problem for younger people (if they need a major medical facility - it will most likely be as a result of an accident - and they'll be airlifted elsewhere). But - as you get older - there's a tendency to need more (and more complicated) medical care. So being close is nice.
Baptist, as well as the Urgent Care Clinic, works for us.
Quote:
Have to tell you - I think downtown Fernandina is pleasant for an after-meal walk. But I hated the Shrimp Festival the couple of times I went there. There is nothing worse IMO than going to a nice small town that is being totally absolutely 100% overrun by a weekend festival.
heh
Well, May 1st is our wedding anniversary, so we are not always in town for it.
I've only been twice. I *loved* the flea market as well as the art. We just go early, then leave early. Some people like that stuff, some don't. It's only once a year. ::shrugs::If you don't like it, don't go.

Quote:
And I also hate all the cutesy tourist stores. The kind that sell things that - when you look at them - you ask - who the heck buys this?
Which ones? If they are still open now, in this crappy economy, I suppose someone must be buying lame t-shirts or plastic toys imported from China. One of my favorite stores is Trailer Park Collectibles. It is a unique place with a huge and varied inventory.
Quote:
Have you been to the RC for any meals? The big deal restaurant - Salt - is only open for dinner. But the cafe (which has nice outdoor seating that's delightful this time of year) is very pleasant for both lunch and dinner. RC used to have a Sunday brunch - but it was discontinued a while back (don't know if it's returned). Robyn
No. I haven't been to the Ritz at all. Just not my thing.
If someone said to me, "Let's try it," I'd probably go.
But we don't even eat out that much, and when we do, we tend to stay away from chains, no matter how fancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post

As for The Shrimp festival. I agree..............I lock up and blow town for that weekend. Shrimp is in name only, it is nuttin but an arsty fartsy show with harldy a shrimp to eat. EXPENSIVE! Hell the shrimp industry is about dead anyways! Just a tourist trap festival!
The art part of the festival reminds me of Denver's Cherry Creek Art Festival when it first began years ago, a lot of crud with a few hidden gems. We found two exquisite handmade lithographs that we did purchase.
But the shrimp public art is stupid and it's true that the shrimp industry has issues, not to mention the oil spill.
Quote:
A very little area (where my house is) on the north end of the island will still be above water in a Cat 5. But then who the hell knows! I sure wont be there for that or a Cat 1. Will call my Insurance agent and wait and see whats left.
Agree.
We too are supposedly on a higher elevation but I have no illusions about that kind of wind and rain battering our house.
Does it keep me up at night? Um, no.
I just prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

sbernavil, you have lots of reading to do in this forum.
Try a search. Much has already been said about this part of north Florida.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 PM

With regard to Baptist - from its website - "Baptist Medical Center Nassau is a highly advanced, extremely well-equipped community hospital." The operative word here is "community". It is not a major medical facility. You don't want to be really sick in a community hospital. And if you aren't really sick - you shouldn't be in a hospital at all. Also - the most dangerous part of surgery is usually anesthesia. A community hospital doesn't generally have world class anesthesiologists. Also - a community hospital doesn't generally have the ability to deal with major complications of surgery. If you had major complications as a result of minor surgery at Beaches up in Nassau - you'd probably be airlifted down to Baptist in Jax.

OTOH - proximity to major medical care is - as I mentioned above - generally less important for younger people than older ones. Younger people are less likely to need cardiac surgery - cancer surgery/treatment - etc. And if anyone - regardless of age - needed that kind of big-deal medical care - they'd be ill-advised IMO to go to any community hospital (including this one). FWIW - sometimes innocuous sounding procedures - like balloon angioplasty - can have major major complications. You always want to have those procedures done in institutions that can handle the major complications stat. I feel more strongly about getting the highest quality medical care when one needs it (cross fingers not often) than having a CBS house . And although there are some things that are simply a matter of taste - like the shrimp festival - quality of health care isn't one of them IMO.

I don't like the shrimp festival - and I don't go. OTOH - Mayport shrimp are great. Buy them all the time.

I'm talking about stores like those at the Amelia Island Plantation shopping center - those at the shopping center on A1A where the kitchen store is/was located - the stores in downtown Fernandina - etc. You're right that there were a lot of empty storefronts when we were in town last year - there are probably more now.

The restaurants at this Ritz Carlton aren't "chains" (although some restaurants in some Ritz Carltons are in a manner of speaking - they're run by chefs who run more than one restaurant). Having lunch/dinner on the Cafe patio is very pleasant in the spring/fall/parts of the winter. Took a look at the current menu at the Cafe - and it has changed to Italian since we were last there. I'm not sure that's a good sign - but the patio is a nice place for a long/lazy lunch. And if you're a guy - and you're stumped for an anniversary/birthday gift for your wife - you might consider a gift of a "spa day" (I toured the recently remodeled spa last time we were up there - and it looked really nice).

As for hurricanes - agree. It's a cr**shoot if you live anywhere in coastal Florida. Robyn

Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
With regard to Baptist - from its website - "Baptist Medical Center Nassau is a highly advanced, extremely well-equipped community hospital." The operative word here is "community". It is not a major medical facility. You don't want to be really sick in a community hospital. And if you aren't really sick - you shouldn't be in a hospital at all. Also - the most dangerous part of surgery is usually anesthesia. A community hospital doesn't generally have world class anesthesiologists. Also - a community hospital doesn't generally have the ability to deal with major complications of surgery. If you had major complications as a result of minor surgery at Beaches up in Nassau
OTOH - proximity to major medical care is - as I mentioned above - generally less important for younger people than older ones. Younger people are less likely to need cardiac surgery - cancer surgery/treatment - etc. And if anyone - regardless of age - needed that kind of big-deal medical care - they'd be ill-advised IMO to go to any community hospital (including this one). FWIW - sometimes innocuous sounding procedures - like balloon angioplasty - can have major major complications. You always want to have those procedures done in institutions that can handle the major complications stat. I feel more strongly about getting the highest quality medical care when one needs it (cross fingers not often) than having a CBS house . And although there are some things that are simply a matter of taste - like the shrimp festival - quality of health care isn't one of them IMO.
I am no spring chicken but am in good health--right now.
I do know older people who must drive to Jax for various procedures, and another who was 'coptered there during an emergency. The same thing happened to a friend who was in the mountains above Denver. If I had serious, life or death cancer concerns, I'd probably fly to Houston and spend a week or two there. "You pays your money and you take your choice."
Quote:
I don't like the shrimp festival - and I don't go. OTOH - Mayport shrimp are great. Buy them all the time.
Mayport shrimp were actually gone from the market for a long time this year.
We get them directly from a shrimper at a very good price. Again: "You pays your money and you take your choice."
Quote:
I'm talking about stores like those at the Amelia Island Plantation shopping center - those at the shopping center on A1A where the kitchen store is/was located - the stores in downtown Fernandina - etc. You're right that there were a lot of empty storefronts when we were in town last year - there are probably more now.
I don't know what shops you are talking about at the AIP shopping center; I don't shop there much.
Actually I think there are fewer empty storefronts downtown, but there are others sprinkled throughout the island. The housing bubble had to pop, the market correction had to happen, and the ripples are going to be felt.

Quote:
And if you're a guy - and you're stumped for an anniversary/birthday gift for your wife - you might consider a gift of a "spa day" (I toured the recently remodeled spa last time we were up there - and it looked really nice).
See, this is where I'd rather spend the money on a locally-owned spot.
I know the Ritz employs a lot of local people, and I am sure the spa is very nice. I guess I just like to spend my money differently. Last spring we ate at a new restaurant owned by a former Ritz chef, and enjoyed it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville