Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 03:05 PM

15 posts, read 30,657 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm moving from Asheville, NC to JAX. Can anyone recommend a reliable and fairly inexpensive moving company for a small load (about 800 cubic feet). If not, and I have to rent a truck and drive myself, could someone recommend a moving service in JAX to unload and put my furniture and household furnishings into my new apartment once I get there? I have found someone here to load the truck.

I am trying to get my plans put together so I will know how much money I will need to make the move.

And speaking of renting a truck, does anyone have an opinion on Penske, or U-Haul or Budget?

Bless you all, Diana

P.S. Do you mind if I call Jacksonville JAX or is that a no-no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Michelle View Post
Hello, I'm moving from Asheville, NC to JAX. Can anyone recommend a reliable and fairly inexpensive moving company for a small load (about 800 cubic feet). If not, and I have to rent a truck and drive myself, could someone recommend a moving service in JAX to unload and put my furniture and household furnishings into my new apartment once I get there? I have found someone here to load the truck.

I am trying to get my plans put together so I will know how much money I will need to make the move.

And speaking of renting a truck, does anyone have an opinion on Penske, or U-Haul or Budget?

Bless you all, Diana

P.S. Do you mind if I call Jacksonville JAX or is that a no-no?
It's OK to call our city Jax. Well, I never speak it that way, but I'll type 'Jax' all day long on the internet.

For rental trucks, you have a better chance of having a nicer truck if you go with Penske. I can't speak for Budget, but most of the U-Haul fleet vehicles are older and high-mileage. That doesn't mean you're guaranteed to have a breakdown or anything, but it's just something to keep in mind.

There are some small moving crews around that could help you with your unpack event. They typically charge by the hour. I wish I had a few names to give you, though.

Welcome to Jax!!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
I think all three truck rental companies partner with movers who can supply the help to load or unload. The Penske booklet has an ad for www.movingstaffers.com; I can't recall the company partnered with Budget nor the one with UHaul, but the quote I got from the UHaul site said $170 for 3 hours for 2 men. I can't personally make a recommendation because I've not used the service, but perhaps this will help with your budgeting.

If you want to go the POD route, there are partnered movers with them as well.

One reputable mover I know here in Jax (and yes "Jax" is ok :-) is Suddath. They're affiliated with United. Moving Services and Corporate Relocation

Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM

15 posts, read 30,657 times
Thank you very much! I love this forum. There are so many helpful, friendly people. I hope I can contribute once I get there. Thanks, Diana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville