U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM

3,482 posts, read 3,991,558 times
check the first post of this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM

12,282 posts, read 12,298,068 times
I Think the BRT should be replaced with Streetcars and why is there no planned light Rail. Light Rail comes before Streetcars in many cities , streetcars is an addon.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 AM

JTA seeks funds for 2 commuter railroad studies

"Last year, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority conducted a study that found thousands of people would utilize a commuter rail system in Northeast Florida.

Before JTA can build commuter rail, though, it will have to conduct at least two more studies. One of those could be paid for with help from U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla.

Nelson has agreed to sponsor a $1.2 million earmark in a Senate appropriations bill that will allow JTA to conduct an alternative analysis into commuter rail.

James Boyle, a JTA regional transportation planner, said an alternative analysis is a detailed study that will determine where the stations might be put on a commuter rail line, which part of the system would be built first, and what type of train could be used."

&

"JTA plans three rail lines that would begin downtown. Two would use CSX tracks — one north to Yulee, one south to Green Cove Springs — and the third would go southeast on Florida East Coast tracks to St. Augustine.

A $400,000 feasibility study released in 2009 found that a need for commuter rail does exist in Jacksonville. Thousands of people would ride it every day, and it would get cars off the road, it said."

Full story @ JTA seeks funds for 2 commuter railroad studies | jacksonville.com

Better late than never.....

Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM

10,739 posts, read 6,850,805 times
I hope this earmark isn't attached to an appropriations bill for something like our troops in Afghanistan. FWIW - I think we have one great legislative rule in Florida. Each law can only have a single subject. So you don't get these bills that cover soup to nuts (with dozens of earmarks). Robyn

Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,933,729 times
Chill out Germany! Jeez...everyone in Jacksonville has at least 3 cars

We love debate here on the Jax Forum, and I am in the transit boat and think we should have commuter rail and streetcars and quit subsidizing highway construction, but calling a respectable poster or any poster here trash is not a great way to make a point! I participate in at least 5 forums and this one is the most civilized and the most balanced in view, let's not taint that.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovegermany View Post
Obviously transit would help the hundreds of thousands of people in jax who DON'T have a car & the thousands upon thousands of disabled citizens who can't own a car. Stop being so selfish, just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean someone who has no option of getting out isn't going to like visiting downtown. People like you are trash!
Well your opinion of me does seem a bit extreme. FWIW - when I see elderly/disabled people at places like the FTU Center - they usually come there by private bus. From their senior facilities - churches - whatever (and many are from places that are 1-2 hours away from downtown JAX - places where rapid transit will never exist). Ditto with ways to get people to Jaguars games - there are the "park and take the bus lots". Much more efficient way to transport people with needs - or people who want to avoid traffic - than some multi-billion dollar light rail system that serves mostly people who are within 10-15 miles of downtown and own multiple cars. My elderly Dad lives in the southside area - and would never use rapid transit to get downtown. But he does use his senior facility's bus. Robyn

Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM

And you know - for a $2 billion or so light rail system (initial cost only) that perhaps goes to Southside - we could pay for 10 million round trip limo rides to downtown. Much nicer for elderly - disabled - just about everyone . Robyn

Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,933,729 times
I can hardly think of any light rail system that has cost $2 Billion total and I actually pretty regularly follow urban transportation and I am taking a class devoted to urban transit this semester. You might want to read up on light rail Our skyway cost almost $200 million for 2.2 miles which equates to you know how much per mile. A decently sized light rail might cost $500 million for 15 or so miles, or maybe even more. Commuter rail is even cheaper than that and cost far less than $10 million/mile given proper implementation and certain circumstances. On MetroJacksonville there are several regular posters who are actually in the field and often talk about all the specifics (going way over my head), and just about every new (and old) system.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,139,898 times
Yeah, $2 Billion. What is that, like a space shuttle launch??

You'll notice Robyn likes to pull stuff outta nowhere like she's on top of things. It's her trademark.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 AM

yea i dont think 2 bill is the number =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville