U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 PM

10,833 posts, read 8,305,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^It was supposed to start a long time ago and practically be finished by now. There have been delays, and if I had to guess those delays were probably due to local business owners (reasonably) like Tom Gray, etc. Their questions/fight may have come back to bite them now that the construction is starting at a worse time.
Well if you can find anything to support your "guess" - be my guest (I couldn't find a thing). What's more typical is this:

Construction Begins on San Marco Boulevard | MySanMarco.com

We're getting pavers - la di da. Who cares that a couple of strong neighborhood businesses will have to put up with the construction stuff during the holiday season. And FWIW - for people like me - who are in this area perhaps once a month for dinner. Well it's dark early in the winter. And my GPS won't have a clue what's going on with the construction. I've been a supporter of Bistro Aix since it first opened - and don't think it did anything to deserve this. What the heck - the la di da people want pavers and don't give a hoot about local businesses. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I never thought I would be sick of transit projects, but I am. Here in Portland it is non stop streetcar constuction and this is really a small area. Our transit company is barely operating financially and is firing transit employees almost every week. Reason being our screwed up transit company is constantly in the news and now the national news. With all the poverty Portland has its a shame this money isn't spent to improve the type of society here. Jacksonville you can have some of this transit we have with my blessings. Your city and Metro is much larger land wise and much more dependent on cars than we are in Portland. Your in greater need because it looks like it would be 2030 before you had anything. Studies and construction would take years to decades before a line was actually in operation.
Haven't been to Portland recently compared to years past (my brother used to live there but moved). Took a look at your transit map - and - after all the construction - still looks like it's easier to walk from the hotel we used to stay at (had many owners/names but it's the boutique hotel around River Place) to Chinatown. You're also right that looking at the transit map in terms of construction - seems like there's an awful lot of construction going on in a very small area. Reckon it would be easier for people to learn to walk 10-20 blocks than keep downtown all torn up for years. Robyn

Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It is just frustrating, whether in Chicago, Boston or any large city I can usually take public transportation from the airport to downtown or navigate the city without a car. Since I moved here Seattle has completed their light rail and my home state of RI is close to finishing a major project of adding a high speed stop at the airport. In 2011 passengers will be able depart the airport and head to Boston or New York city on High speed rail. We have Skyway!
Here in Florida - one of the biggest small business meeting areas (like 20-30 people) in the state is the Tampa airport. Just fly in - have your meeting at the airport - and fly home. Don't know how many times I did that. Robyn

Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM

2,113 posts, read 3,234,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well if you can find anything to support your "guess" - be my guest (I couldn't find a thing). What's more typical is this:

Construction Begins on San Marco Boulevard | MySanMarco.com

We're getting pavers - la di da. Who cares that a couple of strong neighborhood businesses will have to put up with the construction stuff during the holiday season. And FWIW - for people like me - who are in this area perhaps once a month for dinner. Well it's dark early in the winter. And my GPS won't have a clue what's going on with the construction. I've been a supporter of Bistro Aix since it first opened - and don't think it did anything to deserve this. What the heck - the la di da people want pavers and don't give a hoot about local businesses. Robyn
Getting off topic here, but construction was originally scheduled to start in March. And here's what Tom Gray actually had to say about it: "In the end it will be great. We can all agree on that." Yea it's hard to believe the city when they say they'll be done by Feb. and yea it stinks to have roadwork done, but everyone has to put up with. Avondale is in the middle of a massive streetscape project right now. Every urban neighborhood has gone through this. Hendricks was a real debacle, though, because instead of taking 6-8 months it took 18 months. Even residents have to put up with lengthy roadwork sometimes; I've had the street repaved in front of my house twice before.

The area floods A LOT, too, which can impede business every bit as much as construction. Maybe helping with drainage is part of the plan, and that in the long run can be a huge help. Besides, I think the roundabouts will be great.

Using your favority phrase: "FWIW", the original paver/streetscape project in San Marco Square is what led the square to transition from a seedy area worse than 5 Points used to be to what it is today.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,481,621 times
Another reason why rail and street car are in thw roks for Jacksonville....sooner than later....:

Generation Y Giving Cars a Pass

The generation gap is a growing, long-term headache for automakers

Selling cars to young adults under 30 is proving to be a real challenge for automakers. Unlike their elders, Generation Yers own fewer cars and don’t drive much. They’re likely to see autos as a source of pollution, not as a sex or status symbol.

Motorists aged 21 to 30 now account for 14% of miles driven, down from 21% in 1995.

They’re more apt to ride mass transit to work and use car sharing services -- pioneered by Zipcar -- for longer trips. And car sharing choices are expanding, with car rental firms moving into the market, making it convenient for young folks to rent with hourly rates and easy insurance. Connect by Hertz, for example, is rolling out its car sharing services in the New York metropolitan area, with plans to eventually expand them to around 40 college campuses nationwide.

The trend won’t cause car sales to tank, of course, but the generational shift doesn’t bode well for manufacturers and auto dealers, which for decades have counted on wooing young new drivers to their brands in hopes of cementing lifetime customer relationships.

Gen Yers are a big potential market: At 80 million strong, they represent the biggest generation in U.S. history. Baby boomers are a close second, but millions of them begin turning 65 next year -- an age at which car purchases drop off sharply.

“It’s a matter of mind-set far more than affordability,” says William Draves, president of Learning Resources Network, an association that studies consumer trends and provides education and training services.

“This generation focuses its buying on computers, BlackBerrys, music and software and views commuting a few hours by car a huge productivity waste when they can work using PDAs while taking the bus and train,” says Draves.

Full article at link:

Generation Y Giving Cars a Pass- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,281,658 times
Gee, can I play the linky link game too??

Quote:
New York Times
October 4, 2010:

Plan to Expand Rail Service Imperiled at State Level

Republicans running for governor in a handful of states could block, or significantly delay, one of President Obama’s signature initiatives: his plan to expand the passenger rail system and to develop the nation’s first bullet-train service.

In his State of the Union address this year, the president called for building high-speed rail, and backed up his words with $8 billion in stimulus money, distributed to various states, for rail projects.

But Republican candidates for governor in some of the states that won the biggest stimulus rail awards are reaching for the emergency brake.

...cont

In Florida, Rick Scott, the Republican candidate for governor, has questioned whether the state should invest in the planned rail line from Orlando to Tampa. The state got $1.25 billion in federal stimulus money for the project, but it will cost at least twice that much to complete.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

But yep, can you hear it?? Its that train comin down the line, folks. Any day now.......

Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 PM

530 posts, read 761,488 times
choo choo............ amtrack is such a huge success we need to expand on that. !.25 billion to build-1.5 billion over budget and 10.5 billion in subsidies to keep it alive when NO ONE uses it. Got to love those saved or created jobs.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 PM

No one uses Amtrak because it sucks & is a half-assed effort, not because rail is bad. If our rail systems got even half as much attention/subsidies as our road system, it would be amazing & efficient. Ask GM & big oil why things are the way they are. These things didn't "just happen" by coincidence.

This is why I dont think we'll see decent rail, anywhere, for many many years in most of our country. We're just too far gone with our current car-centric infrastructure. It'll take decades to get even caught up to where many countries are today. Not to mention all these giant special interests corporations & bureaucratic mumbo jumbo holding it back. Its a mess.

Wanna see something interesting?? This was our rail system back in 1918:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Text_16960.png

You could basically get everywhere on them, even rural areas. Could you imagine what they could have looked like today?? Now the only time most people see these railroads is when they're driving over them in their giant cars.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Another reason why rail and street car are in thw roks for Jacksonville....sooner than later....:

Generation Y Giving Cars a Pass

The generation gap is a growing, long-term headache for automakers

Selling cars to young adults under 30 is proving to be a real challenge for automakers. Unlike their elders, Generation Yers own fewer cars and don’t drive much. They’re likely to see autos as a source of pollution, not as a sex or status symbol.

Motorists aged 21 to 30 now account for 14% of miles driven, down from 21% in 1995.

They’re more apt to ride mass transit to work and use car sharing services -- pioneered by Zipcar -- for longer trips. And car sharing choices are expanding, with car rental firms moving into the market, making it convenient for young folks to rent with hourly rates and easy insurance. Connect by Hertz, for example, is rolling out its car sharing services in the New York metropolitan area, with plans to eventually expand them to around 40 college campuses nationwide.

The trend won’t cause car sales to tank, of course, but the generational shift doesn’t bode well for manufacturers and auto dealers, which for decades have counted on wooing young new drivers to their brands in hopes of cementing lifetime customer relationships.

Gen Yers are a big potential market: At 80 million strong, they represent the biggest generation in U.S. history. Baby boomers are a close second, but millions of them begin turning 65 next year -- an age at which car purchases drop off sharply.

“It’s a matter of mind-set far more than affordability,” says William Draves, president of Learning Resources Network, an association that studies consumer trends and provides education and training services.

“This generation focuses its buying on computers, BlackBerrys, music and software and views commuting a few hours by car a huge productivity waste when they can work using PDAs while taking the bus and train,” says Draves.

Full article at link:

Generation Y Giving Cars a Pass- Yahoo! Autos Article Page
What about just doing stuff? Like going to Publix - or the doctor - or a mall - or downtown to a show - or to the zoo - or the Clay County Fair? You make it sound like the people in Gen Y are acting like typical 90 year olds - sitting at home all the time (at least if you're talking about JAX and not NYC - I'm sure you'll admit they're 2 totally different animals in terms of getting around). And FWIW - it's pretty hard to rent a car if you're under 25. Robyn

Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And FWIW - it's pretty hard to rent a car if you're under 25. Robyn
Robyn, you're showing your age & disconnect again:

How It Works: 4 simple steps to freedom from car rental and ownership at Zipcar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville