U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:19 AM

61 posts, read 138,823 times

Advertisements

So, I want to build a small home and have my plans ready to go to permitting. Nothing fancy, but every builder I've spoken to has come in with bids ranging from $110 to $160 per square foot. This seems excessive to me, especially in light of todays market and the fact that I made a number of concessions in the home design in order to keep costs in line.

Granted, my home plans are a little unusual (large number of corners and ICF construction), but everything I've read tells me that my costs should be no more than 10 to 15 percent higher than "normal" construction costs.

Does anyone know of a resource that can give me a realistic idea of what is "normal" for new custom home construction in Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 AM

2,910 posts, read 7,588,586 times
I don't know of a particular place to find the "normal" square foot costs, but perhaps surf through zillow.com looking at square-foot costs of nearly-new houses and new "cookie cutter" houses in developments that are on the market and see what the costs are. Maybe that would give you some numbers to compare to the bids you've received.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM

377 posts, read 1,065,813 times
The smaller the home the more it costs per square foot. Also, the more square footage you have in decks, patios, porches and garages, the more it cost per square foot. Without knowing your plan, square footage, standard features, etc, the costs that you gave sound in the ballpark, especially if you're doing ICF and there are a lot of corners. The more corners, the more material it takes to build the house, which results in a higher cost.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks, stevep. This is good information to have.

Briefly, I've got about 2200 sq. ft. under roof, inclusive of the garage. 2 master bedrooms, 2.5 baths and a mud room. Two dodecahedrons merged together, with a conventionally shaped roof and garage. Standard interior finishes. I'm the only one who will be living here, after all. Well, myself and my "sanctuary sweethearts".

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 AM

377 posts, read 1,065,813 times
I'm not exactly sure how many exterior wall sides you'll have (12, 24 or somewhere in between), but that makes the roof a lot more complicated which means more roof material and labor cost. Just remember, a square box is the cheapest to build and the more angles you add to it, the more material is needed to build it, which increases both material and labor costs. To save costs, you might want to try a production builder that builds on owner's lots, instead of a custom builder..... but most production builders haven't used ICF and are usually build "squarer" homes.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:59 PM

2,574 posts, read 743,101 times
I am interested in building with ICF in Miami...

Unfortunately,the cost u mention is real...
After all,if someone quotes...80 /s.f,imagine the ..."quality " at such a low price...

U get what u pay for,
u pay for what u get...

R u thinking solid ICF or metal framing & ICF walls..?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 PM

10,833 posts, read 8,053,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
The smaller the home the more it costs per square foot. Also, the more square footage you have in decks, patios, porches and garages, the more it cost per square foot. Without knowing your plan, square footage, standard features, etc, the costs that you gave sound in the ballpark, especially if you're doing ICF and there are a lot of corners. The more corners, the more material it takes to build the house, which results in a higher cost.
Agreed - certain necessary rooms - like kitchens - bathrooms - etc. - cost a lot more than bedrooms - living rooms - etc. FWIW - we paid about $110/sf bare bones for construction 15 years ago (didn't include any finish work at all). Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I'm not exactly sure how many exterior wall sides you'll have (12, 24 or somewhere in between), but that makes the roof a lot more complicated which means more roof material and labor cost. Just remember, a square box is the cheapest to build and the more angles you add to it, the more material is needed to build it, which increases both material and labor costs. To save costs, you might want to try a production builder that builds on owner's lots, instead of a custom builder..... but most production builders haven't used ICF and are usually build "squarer" homes.
Actually, the roof is not going to follow the shape of the building. A standard roof was decided on, for exactly the reason you mentioned. All told, the home itself will have approximately 25 wall sections (inclusive of the "normal" garage), each set at about 150 degree angles and about 11 1/2 feet in length. I've attached a pic from the architectural drawings. Imagine a normal roofline over this and you'll have a good idea of what I'm trying to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Average new home construction costs?-house.jpg  

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM

One additional thing. I personally would not use ICF - I'd use plain CBS construction instead. Although our common termites don't eat foam - they tunnel through foam to get to other parts of the structure - and they are hard to detect in foam. That's one reason our local building code in St. Johns County requires at least a 6 inch clearance (think it's 6 inches) between foam and the ground (so you can see if the termites are climbing up into your house). Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky View Post
Actually, the roof is not going to follow the shape of the building. A standard roof was decided on, for exactly the reason you mentioned. All told, the home itself will have approximately 25 wall sections (inclusive of the "normal" garage), each set at about 150 degree angles and about 11 1/2 feet in length. I've attached a pic from the architectural drawings. Imagine a normal roofline over this and you'll have a good idea of what I'm trying to build.
A roundish house with a squarish roof? Don't get it. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville