Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM

211 posts, read 422,504 times

Advertisements

[quote=Robyn55;13874730]I disagree. I don't know anyone who had it worse than my parents' generation (my father was born in 1918 and my mother in 1920). My mother had to live with her inlaws during WWII while my father was in the service. But ASAP after the war ended - they made a life of their own.

We've all had ancestors who had it more difficult than we did, and depending on where we are in the business cycle, some generations can break out more easily than other generations. (remember that post WWII was an exceptionally vibrant economy, it not only allowed folks to secure good paying jobs, but also access to higher education and affordable housing). American culture basically requests/requires adult children to move out of the house, whatever their circumstance. This may have been a result of the pioneer spirit or something, but it's not universal to all cultures. Asian and Latin families tend to stay together, for example.

Whether the adult child contributes to the running of the household, etc. is purely up to the way he/she was raised. My first one out of the nest is a millenial, and he appears to be making mostly the right moves (from my point of view).

This past Mar/Apr we went to Yosemite with the boys, and it was fun and refreshing to have them take the lead in different aspects, including picking up the breakfast dining tabs. Now I know they're adult children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM

156 posts, read 330,922 times
Join the club! I see it daily on the South Carolina forums,people moving here just from some picture in a book or a survey with the "best places to live". Drives me crazy! And it's not all young people either. SC like FL has one of the highest if not THE highest unemployment rates and you hear these idiots saying they are moving here. I say good luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM

90 posts, read 246,662 times
I left with two suitcases and an idea of what I wanted to do in Chicago. No job. But a ton of excitement. Let me tell you, instead of hiding and fearing the unknown, I just went for it....the outcome....I found the best job, with a promotion within two months, and a ton of fun memories. I had a blast. I would do it again. Look, stop fearing and if your single...I say, "Why not." I adore my life and I found out that I am cabable of anything.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 AM

63 posts, read 140,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
Join the club! I see it daily on the South Carolina forums,people moving here just from some picture in a book or a survey with the "best places to live". Drives me crazy! And it's not all young people either. SC like FL has one of the highest if not THE highest unemployment rates and you hear these idiots saying they are moving here. I say good luck!
With ya there, I currently live in the Upstate and see it all the time. Everyone views Greenville as the ideal example then Charleston. While I love Charleston's old world look, that's about the only thing about it. Too many snobs. Greenville on the other hand is everytown USA and to me at least, looks plastic, cookie-cutter almost.

South Carolina doesn't feel Southern anymore. Everyone here tries to sound as if they weren't born here to hillarious results. My sister is one of them. Although it could be the Clemson influence. I dunno.

Jacksonville I do like, for some reason even though most of the people I have met do not sound it, it feels like a Southern city. Sure it's probably overrun with transplants from the north but whatever. The fact that I do feel comfortable there is why I have chosen to finish school there. Will I stay on afterwards? Depends on the money really.

It really all comes down to that, I won't move up north again for all the money in the world, but I plan on settling somewhere in the south that pays. There is nothing grand about being poor or poor people. I plan on ending that part of my life, and helping others in the process. Another reason I dislike SC, the taxes are high, didn't used to be, but are now, real estate isn't cheap, and no one wants to pay anything. Sure you can get a factory jobs what precious few are left, but they will simply work you into dissability and fire you. Only to be replaced by someone who will do it cheaper.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 15,491 times
Default Feeling Unwelcomed...

My husband and I have lived in Texas are entire lives (the last 20 in Austin). The company he works for is based out of Florida (Ponte Vedra, to be exact) and has allowed him to telecommute for the last several years, but now needs him closer in Florida. We are looking at St. Augustine because of St. John's River CC because I am a nursing student (this is my second degree) and my stepson is also in college. I understand that St. Augustine does not offer the nursing classes. However, I am Catholic and Italian and so therefore superstitious. I feel like if I have to move halfway across the country there can't be anything wrong with moving to a city named after a saint. That being said, we have also been researching everything from a very practical standpoint as well. My question is this: Robyn why are you so hell-bent on discouraging people from moving to St. Augustine? I've read a lot of your posts and you are always telling people to think twice and not to come without a job. I would think you would want good, conscientous, morally sound people to join your community. If this is a representation of what people in Florida are like, I'm dreading the move. I'm not saying you have to paint everything in rainbows and daisies, but a nice realistic non-judgemental answer would be nice. Thanks, Jennifer

Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,388,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John'sGirl View Post
My husband and I have lived in Texas are entire lives (the last 20 in Austin). The company he works for is based out of Florida (Ponte Vedra, to be exact) and has allowed him to telecommute for the last several years, but now needs him closer in Florida. We are looking at St. Augustine because of St. John's River CC because I am a nursing student (this is my second degree) and my stepson is also in college. I understand that St. Augustine does not offer the nursing classes. However, I am Catholic and Italian and so therefore superstitious. I feel like if I have to move halfway across the country there can't be anything wrong with moving to a city named after a saint. That being said, we have also been researching everything from a very practical standpoint as well. My question is this: Robyn why are you so hell-bent on discouraging people from moving to St. Augustine? I've read a lot of your posts and you are always telling people to think twice and not to come without a job. I would think you would want good, conscientous, morally sound people to join your community. If this is a representation of what people in Florida are like, I'm dreading the move. I'm not saying you have to paint everything in rainbows and daisies, but a nice realistic non-judgemental answer would be nice. Thanks, Jennifer

Well if your husband has a job waiting for him here - and you are training to be a nurse - I think that's fine (we have a pretty large medical community for an area our size in terms of population - and anyone with any kind of nursing credential should have no problem getting a job). I do suggest looking at the nursing school at UNF. It's supposed to be excellent (although admission is difficult).

As for St. Augustine - I enjoy day trips there (was down there today) - but don't think it's the easiest place to live in the metro area here. It's a nice tourist town - but it is a tourist town. There's that huge Catholic Church a little north of downtown. Don't know anything about it from a theological point of view (I'm not Catholic) - but the traffic there is pretty miserable a lot of the year. We do have a pretty large Catholic church in Ponte Vedra - Our Lady Star of the Sea. Think you should take a look at it.

I don't mean to discourage people in general. Just people who have unrealistic ideas about what they think they will find here. Robyn

P.S. I assume you're looking at an RN degree. If another type of nursing degree - let me know and I will try to come up with some suggestions.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,717,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John'sGirl View Post
Robyn why are you so hell-bent on discouraging people from moving to St. Augustine? I've read a lot of your posts and you are always telling people to think twice and not to come without a job. I would think you would want good, conscientous, morally sound people to join your community. If this is a representation of what people in Florida are like, I'm dreading the move. I'm not saying you have to paint everything in rainbows and daisies, but a nice realistic non-judgemental answer would be nice. Thanks, Jennifer
Jennifer, there is a myth going around that St. Augustine is over-run by tourists which is a good thing for the city coffers. This is true if you are referring to the City of St. Augustine. But people don't move to the City, they move to the outskirts. You can drive north and west for an hour from the City and still be in St. Augustine and be in some of the most livable areas of northeast Florida. Personally I think that St. Augustine is one of the best kept secrets of any city up and down the east coast of Florida.
Don't be confused by the constant reference to the tourists. You can live in St. Aug and rarely see the Fort or the Lighthouse if you choose not to.

As far as the job thing, it is always going to be a crap shoot if you move anywhere today without a job offer.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,388,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Jennifer, there is a myth going around that St. Augustine is over-run by tourists which is a good thing for the city coffers. This is true if you are referring to the City of St. Augustine. But people don't move to the City, they move to the outskirts. You can drive north and west for an hour from the City and still be in St. Augustine and be in some of the most livable areas of northeast Florida. Personally I think that St. Augustine is one of the best kept secrets of any city up and down the east coast of Florida.
Don't be confused by the constant reference to the tourists. You can live in St. Aug and rarely see the Fort or the Lighthouse if you choose not to.

As far as the job thing, it is always going to be a crap shoot if you move anywhere today without a job offer.
If you drive north from city center St. Augustine for 35 minutes - you're in Ponte Vedra (on A1A) or Southside (on US1) - that's how long it took us to get home today from St. Augustine - 35 minutes - no traffic. West and you're near/at the WGV (which isn't St. Augustine). An hour west and you're on the other side of the river. Remember that St. Augustine is a city - whereas most of St. Johns County is unincorporated. Perhaps your notion of "St. Augustine" is more expansive than mine is. Robyn

Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,717,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If you drive north from city center St. Augustine for 35 minutes - you're in Ponte Vedra (on A1A) or Southside (on US1) - that's how long it took us to get home today from St. Augustine - 35 minutes - no traffic. West and you're near/at the WGV (which isn't St. Augustine). An hour west and you're on the other side of the river. Remember that St. Augustine is a city - whereas most of St. Johns County is unincorporated. Perhaps your notion of "St. Augustine" is more expansive than mine is. Robyn
You are right technically, but I was referring to the postal designation for St. Augustine which I believe most people go by and I should have said that. For example, people living in zip code 32092 say they are in St. Augustine as often as they might say they live in St. Johns County. There's no contradiction.

Last edited by cricketfan; 05-03-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,842 times
Default Well Put unque43

Quote:
Originally Posted by unque43 View Post
Yeah you're right. right now I have a new 5 yr old who is to start school. It scares me what is out there. I am leaning toward private. I would go with home school, but I work. And to answer your question U are not an old fart, just wise with experience.
Well put unque43 - I wouldn't suggest private or home school.
Private school fosters "Attitude"
Home fosters - "Leave me alone - I don't want to be around people"

Public school deals with many facets of life. You can be what you make of it. If you're bullied then take them to court. Children do not have to be pushed around and accept it! In my day if there was a bully beating on those smaller, we ganged up and "beat the hell out of him." Nobody said "Stop" except the bully. It worked and he (or they) became part of the resolve, rather being the problem.
I don't suggest it these days because of the laws that bind us. Also, the kids probably wouldn't know when to stop and might injure him/her beyond "a lesson" taught.
Nobody has to accept being ridiculed or physically harmed while in school.
That's the environment where kids should learn all aspects of living.

I could go on forever, however after a while the words fall upon "deaf" ears.

Have a great weekend!

inhopes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville