Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM

310 posts, read 868,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Perhaps the south wouldn't be bashed so often if it didn't give the bashers so much great material to work with. For example - here's a really sobering chart that deals with obesity over the last 20 years or so:

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC

Compare Colorado (where donisanasfan comes from) with most of the south. Quite frankly - I share his views about the people I see in public - all those double and triple wides. Then there are the educational issues (which had their origin before the Civil War - but still live with us today). Other areas have these problems (for example - James Carville once described Pennsylvania as Philadelphia and Pittburgh with Alabama in between ) - just not to the same extent. Robyn
So it's ok to broad-brush bash an entire region of people just because they don't look like you? Have you ever been to Philly or Detroit? I guess those cities must be located down South because ONLY unfit people live down here! </s>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
So it's ok to broad-brush bash an entire region of people just because they don't look like you? Have you ever been to Philly or Detroit? I guess those cities must be located down South because ONLY unfit people live down here! </s>
I used to live in Philadelphia - and I've in the Detroit area a couple of times. So what does that have to do with the price of onions? Hard for me to believe that anyone would defend morbid obesity - but it's a free country. Robyn

Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,422 times
I have to say my wife is from the Detroit suburbs and there is not near the percentage of obese people in that area as there is down here. Look, the facts are the facts. The south is consistently at the top of the list in percentage of people considered obese. The only other place I have seen that comes close is Missouri. They must love their BBQ a bit too much. I know I went from a 31 inch waste to a 34 when I lived in KC. Not much to do outdoors + a lot to eat inside= blubber. BBQ and frozen custard are my memories of Kansas City. Floridians don't have the same excuse. The weather here is conducive to being outdoors: tennis ,golf, biking, there is no excuse , just laziness. 32 waste now...will never see 31 again....oh crap./..I sound like a woman!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:41 PM

310 posts, read 868,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I used to live in Philadelphia - and I've in the Detroit area a couple of times. So what does that have to do with the price of onions? Hard for me to believe that anyone would defend morbid obesity - but it's a free country. Robyn

I'm not defending obesity, just pointing out how people used broad-based judgement against a region to make themselves feel better about themselves. Obviously you've missed that point.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
I have to say my wife is from the Detroit suburbs and there is not near the percentage of obese people in that area as there is down here. Look, the facts are the facts. The south is consistently at the top of the list in percentage of people considered obese. The only other place I have seen that comes close is Missouri. They must love their BBQ a bit too much. I know I went from a 31 inch waste to a 34 when I lived in KC. Not much to do outdoors + a lot to eat inside= blubber. BBQ and frozen custard are my memories of Kansas City. Floridians don't have the same excuse. The weather here is conducive to being outdoors: tennis ,golf, biking, there is no excuse , just laziness. 32 waste now...will never see 31 again....oh crap./..I sound like a woman!
Actually you sound like my husband. He was a 38 waist when we got married - got down to a 32 when he did a lot of running (including a couple of marathons) in his 30's/40's/early 50's. He had to give up running due to his MS. Now - although he goes to the gym - plays golf - etc. - he's a 36 - and is pissed. But not pissed enough to give up hoppy beers .

On the female side - I was always about 5-10 pounds overweight - even in high school. Now - 40 years later - maybe 10-15 pounds. Used to go to stores and try on clothes that were "large" - and they wouldn't fit. Now if I try on a pair of "large" pants - they're much too big (manufacturers trying to make us feel better). I have pretty much stayed the same - but the world around me has gotten bigger. FWIW - it is not so bad to be 10 pounds overweight when you're an older woman. The litle extra bit of fat means fewer wrinkles - and stronger bones. But 50-100+ pounds is much too much - it's bad - really bad.

BTW - if anyone here wants to see the real state of Jax - go to a Golden Corral one day for lunch. I happen to like going there about every other week because I can have a single fried chicken leg and some mac and cheese and lots of southern veggies (my favorites - and a buffet allows one to eat many different things in moderation). But the clientele in general is gross. Except for the construction type guys - they're thin as rails even though they consume huge amounts of food - reckon they burn up huge amounts of calories doing manual labor 40+ hours a week. Robyn

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
I'm not defending obesity, just pointing out how people used broad-based judgement against a region to make themselves feel better about themselves. Obviously you've missed that point.
Well I live in the south - and have done so for 40 years. If there are things I don't like about it - does that make me feel better about myself? Don't think so. If anything - they make me want to crawl into a hole. FWIW - I think we're having a failure in terms of communication here - not a big argument about what we think (no fault situation IMO - and I'm sure we can get on the same wave length). Robyn

Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
down here in the stupid south, we spell it "waist".

Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,422 times
I knew a typo would get me at some point, damn public school edgamacation.....you were just waiting for that one ... admit it... man ,did that just make your night!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 PM

60 posts, read 188,924 times
Default :)

Don,

I'm totally laughing over this thread, since I know you, and you're definitely not a woman

I have to agree with Don on many of his comments about FL and Jacksonville in general. All I can say is no place is perfect. You have to decide what is really important to you. If you're looking for a place in the southeast with nice weather, good public schools, a kid-friendly neighborhood, lots of outdoor amenities, and to be surrounded by nice neighbors who want the same things for their kids, then I would recommend Coastal oaks. That said, you have to accept that Jacksonville doesn't have a ton to offer in fine dining, shopping, and entertainment. Although living here we don't feel as much a part of Jacksonville proper, more a part of Ponte Vedra, but we're kind of on our own out here. It's only 2 hours to Orlando, so that's an easy weekend trip. And you make the best of what you have. The farthest north I'd consider living would be Charlotte, which to be honest I think has alot more going for it as a city, but then you have to live with the winter weather, plus the Nascar culture is huge there.

We're very happy here, it's not nirvana, but no place is!

(OK Don now you can start making some testosterone filled comments)

Lisa

Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I lived in Charlotte and went to school there and it is a nice place. Only problem is that the fast growth of the last 20 years there is starting to show. Their schools are bursting at the seems due to the growth plus the sizable illegal immigrant population there, they are laying off another 1,000 teachers this summer because their tax base dipped drastically due to the trouble at former Wachovia and BofA.

The politicians in the Eastern part of the state also seem to hold a gradge against Charlotte and that is seen in the projects that get approved for Raleigh and Fayetteville but not in Charlotte by the state.

right after we moved to JAX, they voted another 1% state income tax increase and the Charlotte sales tax went up to 8.5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville