Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,312 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a nurse ,28years old and single mother who is thinking of moving to Jacksonville next year, I would like to know what are some good areas for a single family home with good schools also what is the salary like for nurses? What are some overall good and bad things about living in Jacksonville? I'll tell you what I don't like about ohio THE WEATHER! any comments would be a great help! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,920,246 times
There probably haven't been replies because Jacksonville is so large land-wise with so many medical facilities that to answer your questions would be hard -- you'll want to live near your workplace. Generally speaking, you should include a wish list (near the beach, in an established neighborhood, in a newer master planned neighborhood, etc.)

You'll also see many answers to your questions in existing threads. You can browse or you can use the Search Forum button.

As for nurses' salaries, the Salary Wizard from salary.com can give you some averages. (The website offers free info as well as info for a fee.) Salary Information | Salary.com

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Thanks

Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,241,813 times
Salaries will depend on the type of nurse you are and the facility.

My wife, a BSN, works at St. Vincents and makes about 48k.

Jax is a very family-friendly city in general.

There are many "types" of neighborhoods.....so........what kind of lifestyle do you lead? What's important to you in a neighborhood? What do you enjoy in your spare time? What do you want to be close to?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm looking for a more established family oriented neighborhood. I would like to be close to shopping. I have been looking toward the south side? I wouldn't mind being close to the beach. Are there any zip codes I should avoid or that I should look into. I also wouldn't mind being close to urban area but safe. Thanks for the replies

Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,241,813 times
Much of Jax's neighborhoods could be considered family-orientated. Plenty of established neighborhoods too.

Shopping: Do you prefer chain stores, such as GAP, JC Pennys, Olive Garden, CheeseCake Factory, etc, or more unique, individually owned botiques and cafes ?

Zipcodes are a good indicator in the suburbs. However, once you head towards the city they aren't a good indicator as you can have great neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods in the same zipcode.

"Safe" but "urban" areas (you'll find some disagreement on here on what is safe, and what is urban) would include San Marco, Riverside, Avondale, and Springfield.

In the sreach function on City-Data, simply type in Riverside Avondale Sopringfield San Marco and you'll find multiple threads with lots of photos and discussion.

Check out www.riverside-avondale.com , www.myspringfield.org , & www.metrojacksonville.com
for more information, opinions, and photos of these areas....

As was mentioned before, Jax is very spread out. Many, but certainly not all, try and live relatively close to work. I live a bout 1 mile away from my job, for example, and my wife's works is about 5 miles away. However, many people are comfortable driving much longer distances/spending much longer time commuting. Not appealling to me, but to each his/her own.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,283 times
Smile Plug for Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrime View Post
I'm looking for a more established family oriented neighborhood. I would like to be close to shopping. I have been looking toward the south side? I wouldn't mind being close to the beach. Are there any zip codes I should avoid or that I should look into. I also wouldn't mind being close to urban area but safe. Thanks for the replies
Mandarin is very family friendly and established. I came here from California and I raised my son here alone. I chose Mandarin for the good schools, shopping, amenities and close proximity to everything. There are wonderful neighborhoods all over Jacksonville, so look for a good agent, tell them what you want and take your time. You'll do fine.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinflower View Post
Mandarin is very family friendly and established. I came here from California and I raised my son here alone. I chose Mandarin for the good schools, shopping, amenities and close proximity to everything. There are wonderful neighborhoods all over Jacksonville, so look for a good agent, tell them what you want and take your time. You'll do fine.
I forgot to mention, Baptist Hospital South is a hop-skip away and numerous other hospitals are reasonably distant from Mandarin. Don't know the salaries though...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 69,824 times
From Ohio also + 5 yrs in Cols. Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine might be worth looking at. St. Aug is a little more expensive that Jacksonville, but it's still has a small town feel and just about anywhere is only 12 mins to the beach, shopping and restaurants. Plus St. Johns County has the highest rated public schools in the state.
-Sean Hess
Broker for St. Augustine Team Realty
St. Augustine Team Realty Saves You $s on Your Home, Buy or Sell!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,958,737 times
being as I now live in Ohio and used to live in arlington (former husband was navy ) and I loved arlington everything about it . but humidity in florida is very different from ohio and also very hot in the summer and remember florida only has two seasons winter and summer LOL !!! I really like florida especially jax and surrounding areas but taxes were so high there for me and could not afford them on my own . I would still be there if not for high property taxes . also have a job lined up before you get there . I divorced while living there and just could not afford it i wish you luck . also a culture shock when you go to florida from up north . good luck .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville