Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM

29 posts, read 145,327 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am visiting Jacksonville the last week of August. I am considering moving there from Wisconsin. We are staying near Neptune Beach. Can anyone please give me some suggestions on what sites to see in and around J-Ville to get an overall feel for the city. We want to look at schools, apartments, etc. I appreciate your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
As far as where to live allot will depend on where you will be working. There are 3 major roads east to west from the beach from the beach. The main highway RT 202 also known as JTB,Beach Blvd and Atlantic Blvd. The main roads that intersect these north and south are (in order from the beach) San Pablo,Hodges, Kernan,RT9a (also known as ST Johns Bluff) and Southside blvd. there are many many neoghborhood and apts off the north to south roads. You can dive around to get a general view of the area.
As far as things to do. For a great breakfast the Beach Diner is a great place and nto far from where you will be staying. You can take A!A south all the way to St. Augustine (about 35 mins) to walk around the oldest city. The zoo is fun . you can go deep sea fishing . Amelia Island and Fernandina beach(sp) are a little north but nice places. Play golf. and dont forget going to the beach. All the kids are back in school this week so the beaches will be less crowded . Allot will depend on the ages of your group.
If you can give us some more details I am sure we can be more specific.
Karla

Old 08-06-2006, 04:53 PM

29 posts, read 145,327 times
We actually ordered a "for rent" magazine and have been scouting apartments. Does anybody know any respectable property ownership companies? We would like to tour some apartments while we are down there. We are actually looking at moving in the spring of 2008. I going to be going to school for my Masters degree in MIS starting this fall. Any word on how IT is in that part of Florida?

Old 08-07-2006, 05:25 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Allot of the apts here have been "flipped" to condos, so an apt you view now may be a condo when you move here in 2008. However I am always seeing Condo -for rent signs people who are buying the condos for investments then rent them out.
You can pick up apartment guides at most of the convience stores. Before I moved here I did what you are doing, came down for a visit and just drove around an area I liked and stopped and looked at them. Again the part of town you live in will depend on where you end up working. The areas I mentioned with regard to the s***** are considered the Southside and Beaches area. I really like this area it is convient to downtown. We are about 20 miles form downtown.
I am not sure abbout the IT market here. My husband is a programer and it looks like there is a very good possibity we will be transfering to Atlanta in the next 6 to 9 months. Believe me this is the only reason I would leave Jacksonville. I am sure you can do a search on one of the job search engines for IT jobs here. We do have quite a few large companies . If you want to semd me a email I can list them for you, I can also get into more detail on areas to look at .
Karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville