Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,713 times

Advertisements

I am planning on reloing down to Jacksonville for a job mid july and am curious about the jax beach area. My roommate and I like the beaches and need a nice house to rent. Preferrably one with a yard for my two dogs. It doesnt have to be right on the beach but close enough that it isnt a drag to get to when we want to go. We like some nightlife but for the most part are pretty laid back, interested in scuba diving and snorkeling and hanging out listening to music. We are in our thirties and single females looking to get out of the cold midwest. Does anyone have any real estate agent suggestions for finding rental houses in this area? Any advice for us on things to do and where to go?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Get a realtors help for sure. The home rentals will be privately owned, so you need a realtor who knows the area to find you a place (find a realtor who works out of an office *at* the beach - not in town).

Be prepared to pay a hefty sum, even blocks off the ocean. Also be prepared to have a tiny backyard, it's pretty much a given if you live at the beach you will have no yard or a very tiny yard.

If the rent is too steep, jump 2 miles in from the ocean and across the Intracoastal where you can easily rent a nice big house with a fenced yard for probably not much more than $1200/mo. Jax is not known for cheap rent, by the way. We are above the national average for rental rates (Florida, the ocean and all that).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,336 times
Basically what riveree said. If you want to live east of the intercoastal, be prepared to pay a premium in rent. Do it if you really want to be able to walk or bike to the beach. If a short drive is acceptable though, you really have tons of options at all price ranges.

Just be sure to tour all the neighborhoods yourself. The beaches vary from street to street. Some areas are quite luxurious, other areas are literally next to trailer parks.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,950 times
But keep in mind that "premium in rent" and "steep prices" are completely dependent on what you are accustomed to. When we started looking at beach real estate we were shocked at how amazingly cheap everything in Jacksonville is! But we are coming from Northern Virginia/D.C. where you can't find a house in a decent area for under about $600,000. And your average million dollar home is exactly that...just an average 4 bedroom home.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 21,577 times
I can be of assistance in all those areas. I do a lot of appraisals at the beach and my wife can set you up with some houses to look at.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Don't be afraid to look - and make below listing offers. The real estate market isn't wonderful here these days. What's your price range? And where will you be working (you don't want to spend half your life in a car)? And are you willing to get rid of your dogs (that's kind of a limiting factor when it comes to rentals)? Note that there are FRBO listings - good places to look for them are local papers like the Ponte Vedra Recorder - Folio - etc. I would probably be inclined to go through a broker so you have someone local to call at 2 am if the sewer line backs up . Robyn

Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And are you willing to get rid of your dogs (that's kind of a limiting factor when it comes to rentals)?

What do you suggest she should do with her dogs? Throw them out?

Your posts often amaze me, but this one takes the cake.

There is a homeless pet epidemic going on all around us. The state of the economy and the acute real estate collapse has left enough people feeling they "have no choice" but to abandon their dogs and cats to almost certain death by euthanization. So your suggestion is that at the slightest inconvenience the OP should just throw her dogs on the pile too?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
I wasn't suggesting that they drown the dogs in the tub. And I don't have a clue what you do with unwanted dogs. I just know that many rentals don't allow pets - and that you are limiting your options a lot if you insist on your pets. Even most of the beaches in Duval County aren't particularly friendly to dogs:

Are dogs alllowed on the beach?Dogs are only permitted on Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach before 9:00 a.m. or after 5:00 p.m. Dogs must be on a leash and have a current rabies tag. Dog owners must clean up after their dogs. Dogs are allowed anytime on Atlantic Beach, but must also be on a leash no more than 12 feet long.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,713 times
I will be keeping the dogs lol, I'm more concerned in finding a nice home with a yard for them as that is what they are used to. I dont really plan on taking them to the beach. I have found quite a few listings online that do take pets. Thanks for all the info this is a very helpful forum!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrnnr View Post
I am planning on reloing down to Jacksonville for a job mid july and am curious about the jax beach area. My roommate and I like the beaches and need a nice house to rent. Preferrably one with a yard for my two dogs. It doesnt have to be right on the beach but close enough that it isnt a drag to get to when we want to go. We like some nightlife but for the most part are pretty laid back, interested in scuba diving and snorkeling and hanging out listening to music. We are in our thirties and single females looking to get out of the cold midwest. Does anyone have any real estate agent suggestions for finding rental houses in this area? Any advice for us on things to do and where to go?
Thanks
I am trying to find a house to rent at the beach as well for my family and it is hard when you have pets....most people won't allow them. Then when you do find one that allows them, it's a piece of crap. I'm not saying you won't be able to find one, it's just a little harder is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville