Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,804 times

Advertisements

I am trying to plan a surprise birthday party for this coming Saturday. I've called several local limo companies and received what I think are outrageous quotes for what I'm asking for... I'd just like to have a group of 8-10 people picked up in the same location, dropped off at a bar/restaurant 20 minutes away and then to have someone come back to pick us up at 1am and take us to the starting point - so basically a shuttle service! I guess a "glorified designated driver" but I'd like to have something fun for the birthday girl.

The limos want to charge me for 6 hours to sit in the parking lot and wait for us, but I really don't need that and think it's a total waste!!

Does anyone have any suggestions!? At this point I have have to give up the something fun and just go with taxis at the end of the night and picking up cars the next day

Price Range - 100-200 - the lower the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM

I should add that I've looked at BUS 904 - which is simply a short school bus/party bus and they only quoted me 175 but sadly they ended up with conflicting plans for that night, but they would have done exactly what I asked - does anyone else do these things or am I crazy for thinking this could be done?/

Old 06-05-2010, 09:03 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,119 times
We did the limo thing. It was not as fun as imagined. First the air conditioning didn't work well. It was hot. Then while we were having dinner the restaurant told the limo driver to leave. We go outside, no driver, back inside. When he returns some of us are still inside so he says that prevented him from leaving. Taking us to dinner and home was supposed to cost $300. but we were fined for not getting home within the agreed upon hour. We said if the driver had not left the restaurant we would have been. We still got charged more. I tell ya, it wasn't that fun. We all just sat in the back and stared at each other. It might have been more fun if alcohol was involved but that was not the case. We still make jokes about the time we got the limo. Movies are always showing people having great times in a limo, putting their heads out the sunroof, waving to the crowds, etc. This is Jacksonville. It's hot and humid. There are no crowds to wave to. I suggest taking two minivans and put something festive on them, drive together.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM

I would love to just do something simple with mini-vans trust me - but I don't want to ask any of the guests to be "designated drivers" and we are going to a bar with heavy drinking involved, so I don't think it'd be fair I may just rely on taxis after all, although definitely not my favorite option.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,119 times
Sounds like its going to be a blast.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM

It should be!!

After a little bit of research I found a company called Designated Drivers of Jax - they send two dd's out to pick you and your car up and drive you and car home for around 45 bucks - not a bad deal!! And they offer military discounts. Just thought I'd post to let anyone else know about this in case they are ever in my predicament!

PS, has anyone heard of it? Good/Bad reviews?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM

250 posts, read 706,432 times
well, this is a useful thread. no i hadn't heard of Designated Drivers of Jax nor BUS 904. I also, had the same problem with A/C and not being able to stick head out of the top like Ryde41 did. i can say that the head out of the top is a universal problem since police can get give a ticket to driver for it. the A/C isn't a universal problem but apparently a common one so i guess you just have to review the limo prior to renting it. Glad you solved your Designated Drivers problem. Sounds like a good business model actually.

btw, for those of you stuck in similar situations but with less people, i was told of a nifty antidote over in the Orlando forums. if you can find a pizza delivery place near by then you can pay one of the drivers to take you home for way less money than it would cost for a cab.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
We use Carey Transportation for things like trips to the airport. Minimum charge for a towncar (which takes us from the beaches to JAX is about $85 or so). Don't know what it charges for a van that will take more passengers - or a limo. It is a very professional outfit. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville