Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,978,114 times

Advertisements

Was thinking of picking up a '95 Vanden Plas with very low miles and in almost perfect condition. It is a very beautiful car, but I know Jags are fickle - so I'm hesitant.

Can anyone that has one tell me about it's reliability,
any things that can go wrong etc. I've read reviews on Edmunds got a 9.3 but if any '95 Jag Vanden Plas Owners out there would like input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Was thinking of picking up a '95 Vanden Plas with very low miles and in almost perfect condition. It is a very beautiful car, but I know Jags are fickle - so I'm hesitant.

Can anyone that has one tell me about it's reliability,
any things that can go wrong etc. I've read reviews on Edmunds got a 9.3 but if any '95 Jag Vanden Plas Owners out there would like input.
I could not find 1995, but I did find 1996. Here are what real owners had to say. Surprisingly, every one was positive.

1996 Jaguar Vanden Plas Reviews - Carsurvey.org

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,961,633 times
A review: 1995 JAGUAR XJ6 VANDEN PLAS REVIEW & MSRP - TheBigLot.com

Owner's Forums: The Jaguar XJ6 Forum

Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,871,199 times
By that point, they got somewhat better in terms of reliability. They improved a lot under Ford ownership, but were always less reliable than much of the competition.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Thanks for the link(s) everyone. Guess there's no "live person" on CD that owns one (older car). The repair costs can be a high, so I will have to keep a kitty fund for that.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM

660 posts, read 1,641,928 times
If it's really got low mileage on the clock, the price is right, and is near perfect condition then I would highly recommend this motorcar.

It will be rather unique in the States and is truly luxurious in only the way the Brits can do.

I would not say that it's any less reliable than similar autos and the cost of repair would be right in line with a BMW, Volvo, Benz, Rover, or Saab.

I've not owned a Vanden Plas edition before, but I have had several XJ-6 and XJ-12s before. All of them have been quite reliable. I believe the American perception is different than a Brit's in that (a) your type of roads and the vast expanses demand different things from an auto (b) Brits tend to fuss over and with their motorcars moreso on a daily basis.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
If it's really got low mileage on the clock, the price is right, and is near perfect condition then I would highly recommend this motorcar.

It will be rather unique in the States and is truly luxurious in only the way the Brits can do.
Less than 40K miles. I'm going to get it To use for
weekend pleasure. I have a Saab 1990 900 Turbo that finally died - have to use a kill switch just to use it. Beautiful car too, but has a Gremlin My son loves cars so he will be detailing it every weekend. I'm kinda nervous about driving it and leaving it somewhere without a body guard It is really that beautiful. I can't believe the quality of the interior - nothing like the stuff today - except maybe another Jag

Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM

890 posts, read 3,681,390 times
Congrats!! Post some pics for us.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 PM

660 posts, read 1,641,928 times
Yes, congratulations are in order!

I think you've made a wise choice. Just wait until you take her round a nice fast corner and put your foot into that Jag engine....you'll be in love!

Now you MUST name your leaping kitty. Mine is named Winston.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,223,314 times
I had a 91 VandenPlas and loved it, best car I ever owned. It was faster than my Porsche and unbelievable comfortable on the highway, sat right down at high speeds and oh so cushy inside.

I didn't find it was more problems than any other car I ever owned, then again all of my cars have been of similar ilk. Whatever you do don't use a pressure washer on it. The bf took almost all of the clearcoat off it this way and I finally ended up selling it because of that. (Note to self - keep all bf's away from cars, electronics, and computers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar