U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:07 PM

577 posts, read 1,586,498 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback. I realize going into the nonprfit sector can be difficult but they are hiring for procurement for their facility and most of my corporate background is procurement. When I sent in my resume it was directly to the HR person, they gave two alternatives, submitting on the website through a software program or directly to the HR person's email. I chose to send it to the email. I got an out of office response with 3 other people in her dept's names, numbers and emails that were her backup. Then the following day I received an email from her saying she got my email and resume. So it's a little different situation than most jobs I've applied to that were definitely robotic responses. I did notice that if applying through the website there are all kinds of other questions asked in addition to submitting your resume. So one of the things I thought to maybe ask if I called is if it would help for me to apply there also. That way they could have the other questions answered and if I did that , should I resubmit my resume or just reference that this person has it? I do have a lot of non-profit experience but it is all volunteer . I stated that in my cover letter and do tailor my resume and cover letter specifically to each job I apply to depending on what the job announcement details. I know about the key words software used.

Anyway thanks again everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 PM

38,908 posts, read 20,232,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Calling to say what? "Did you get my resume?
As a CAREER COUNSELOR, I'm disappointed with you TV ... Followup demonstrates that you care about the job and might give you an opportunity to communicate directly with the hiring manager. Applying to jobs via the internet should not be the ONLY way of searching for work. Networking is essential.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,518,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
As a CAREER COUNSELOR, I'm disappointed with you TV ... Followup demonstrates that you care about the job and might give you an opportunity to communicate directly with the hiring manager. Applying to jobs via the internet should not be the ONLY way of searching for work. Networking is essential.
I never ever ever picked up a phone to call an employer and do not recommend it. I had 2 interviews at one job and still refused to call for follow up because I wanted to maintain my appeal as a candidate.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

274 posts, read 911,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback. I realize going into the nonprfit sector can be difficult but they are hiring for procurement for their facility and most of my corporate background is procurement. When I sent in my resume it was directly to the HR person, they gave two alternatives, submitting on the website through a software program or directly to the HR person's email. I chose to send it to the email. I got an out of office response with 3 other people in her dept's names, numbers and emails that were her backup. Then the following day I received an email from her saying she got my email and resume. So it's a little different situation than most jobs I've applied to that were definitely robotic responses. I did notice that if applying through the website there are all kinds of other questions asked in addition to submitting your resume. So one of the things I thought to maybe ask if I called is if it would help for me to apply there also. That way they could have the other questions answered and if I did that , should I resubmit my resume or just reference that this person has it? I do have a lot of non-profit experience but it is all volunteer . I stated that in my cover letter and do tailor my resume and cover letter specifically to each job I apply to depending on what the job announcement details. I know about the key words software used.

Anyway thanks again everyone
it seems you're doing everything you can be doing, short of being a pest to the employer. i think following up is important but i also believe that once HR gets to your resume and associated application, they will contact you... however long that'll take.

if you want to followup, i personally suggest going with email as it's more impersonal and not direct to the HR person. this means they can respond back anytime they want. my rationale is that if you call and the HR rep answers, you're essentially putting the person on the spot and they may/may not feel comfortable discussing the status with you per say especially if you're not in the running anymore.

perhaps another thing you can do is if you don't hear anything back after awhile, resubmit your application after a few weeks or so just in case it got stuck somewhere in the process.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I never ever ever picked up a phone to call an employer and do not recommend it. I had 2 interviews at one job and still refused to call for follow up because I wanted to maintain my appeal as a candidate.

LOL sounds like you are applying the "Rules" to employment now...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
it seems you're doing everything you can be doing, short of being a pest to the employer. i think following up is important but i also believe that once HR gets to your resume and associated application, they will contact you... however long that'll take.

if you want to followup, i personally suggest going with email as it's more impersonal and not direct to the HR person. this means they can respond back anytime they want. my rationale is that if you call and the HR rep answers, you're essentially putting the person on the spot and they may/may not feel comfortable discussing the status with you per say especially if you're not in the running anymore.

perhaps another thing you can do is if you don't hear anything back after awhile, resubmit your application after a few weeks or so just in case it got stuck somewhere in the process.
yea I definitely don't want to be a pest or bother them, just trying to stand out somehow or make a personal connection. I like your idea about resubmitting, especially since I didnt on the website yet. I think I'll wait another week and do that.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I went through a 4 month program with Lee, Hecht, Harrison and these types of things were brought up constantly. There are many different ways to network and some of the things they brought up seemed
a little "pesty" to me but they see the results and market these tips. Unfortunately this situation is different than anything that came up while I had that training so I am happy to hear what others think. There's a line between being showing interest and being a pest... I'm just trying to make it to the interest level

Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Do you endorse sending thank you letters?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,518,881 times
Quote:
Do you endorse sending thank you letters?

Sometimes I saw no point because I felt the interviewer would have made up their mind on whether you are the person for the job before they receive the thank you letter. But I actually sent 2 thank you letters because I was about 5 weeks away from my unemployment running out and after my 2nd interview I sent another thank you letter-lol

I know that probably was a bit much but they did offer me the job but I received an offer from another company that was paying more and in walking distance.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Calling to say what? "Did you get my resume?
Also TV, if someone just submits resumes via email, fax or snail mail without following up; how are they going to know when there was an issue with the transmission and that HR never got the resume? Things do get lost through the mail, fax machines can lose memory when disconnected and attachments can get corrupted within an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or