U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM
 
577 posts, read 1,581,725 times
Reputation: 445

Advertisements

So I have found a few jobs that would be absolutely perfect for me through online ads, these are the companies actual website. I get the standard "thank you, we'll contact you if your skills match what we are looking for. One of them so totally matches my skill set I cant imagine that they wouldnt at least interview me. But almost two weeks have gone by and no word, the job is still listed on their website as open.
Anyway, should I do anything else? The reply back was from the actual HR recruiter at the company and her phone # was on there although it did say that due to the high volume of resume's email replies will not be answered. I have toyed with calling her number and saying that I was checking the website and hoping to hear from them.. something to put my name out there for her again, and showing enthusiasm about the job but I just am torn. This is for a non-profit agency so it's a large organization but not huge.

There was another job that I had this same dilemma and I didnt do anything and it showed pending review for a month before disappearing from the site. Is it bad to followup or irritating to them? Or am I missing the boat by not doing this. I hate this internet world. I used to be able to walk in a job and get that personal interaction that always resulted in an interview.

What's everyone think? Any HR people out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 PM
 
577 posts, read 1,581,725 times
Reputation: 445
No one has any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
 
1,828 posts, read 4,198,700 times
Reputation: 598
Yea, I have matched many of jobs over the last 19 months and I dont even get a peep out of them, I think the fact of the matter is there are probably 30 to 40 other people that match them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM
 
577 posts, read 1,581,725 times
Reputation: 445
Have you ever followed up and called or sent a second email after applying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM
 
6,585 posts, read 22,859,729 times
Reputation: 3199
I never followed up. Just would hit Submit and then erase it from my brain and move on to the next one. The job I did get - via huge company's website - their intial contact with me was about 6 weeks after I hit Submit. I got rejection emails from other firms weeks/months after submitting my online info. It's a slow process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
 
1,828 posts, read 4,198,700 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
Have you ever followed up and called or sent a second email after applying?
No cant say that I do. I wouldn't if it said no phone calls, But other then that I wouldn't see why not. I just question with all the people out there looking for work if a call makes a difference or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 05:09 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
So I have found a few jobs that would be absolutely perfect for me through online ads, these are the companies actual website. I get the standard "thank you, we'll contact you if your skills match what we are looking for. One of them so totally matches my skill set I cant imagine that they wouldnt at least interview me. But almost two weeks have gone by and no word, the job is still listed on their website as open.
Anyway, should I do anything else? The reply back was from the actual HR recruiter at the company and her phone # was on there although it did say that due to the high volume of resume's email replies will not be answered. I have toyed with calling her number and saying that I was checking the website and hoping to hear from them.. something to put my name out there for her again, and showing enthusiasm about the job but I just am torn. This is for a non-profit agency so it's a large organization but not huge.

There was another job that I had this same dilemma and I didnt do anything and it showed pending review for a month before disappearing from the site. Is it bad to followup or irritating to them? Or am I missing the boat by not doing this. I hate this internet world. I used to be able to walk in a job and get that personal interaction that always resulted in an interview.

What's everyone think? Any HR people out there?

No point in following up on job postings on company websites because most are not real. Just keep applying and try craiglist in addition to company websites. If you were to call you will hear-"sorry the position has been filled" which in reality would mean it was never open to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,661 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Reputation: 4123
It could also be that they are not going to contact anyone until the posting comes down. I know we do that. So, I would just hold tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
 
577 posts, read 1,581,725 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No point in following up on job postings on company websites because most are not real. Just keep applying and try craiglist in addition to company websites. If you were to call you will hear-"sorry the position has been filled" which in reality would mean it was never open to begin with.
LOL I trust company websites more than I do craigslist. Actually both of these jobs were on craigslist and directed me to their company website.
"I could hear sorry it was filled.. because it was filled too.." If you are employed how is it you apply anywhere with that attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
 
577 posts, read 1,581,725 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
It could also be that they are not going to contact anyone until the posting comes down. I know we do that. So, I would just hold tight.
Thanks, it's just that the first one... well when it came down I got an email saying the job was filled.. and I just wonder if I had done more than just be a piece of paper that sat in their inbox that maybe I would have stood out more even if there was 30-40 with matching skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top