U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM

418 posts, read 1,204,392 times

Advertisements

Good News-I got a job!
Bad News-It pays considerably less than I was making so its only something to get me thru til I find something else. Its Mon-Fri 8-4.
For those that are working fulltime and looking for other work--how do get interviews scheduled? Most places want to meet with you in the middle of the day. Anyone found a work-around for this? Thanks!!!
PS-I won't have any time off since it is a contract position for 6 months so I can't use any time off for interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
Good News-I got a job!
Bad News-It pays considerably less than I was making so its only something to get me thru til I find something else. Its Mon-Fri 8-4.
For those that are working fulltime and looking for other work--how do get interviews scheduled? Most places want to meet with you in the middle of the day. Anyone found a work-around for this? Thanks!!!
PS-I won't have any time off since it is a contract position for 6 months so I can't use any time off for interviews.
This is a tough one. When I had my first full-time job, I had to take unpaid sick days or unpaid days off as I did not have vacation time to use. Another alternative is to try and schedule them either early in the day or later in the afternoon - that way you won't need a full-day off to attend the interviews.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is a tough one. When I had my first full-time job, I had to take unpaid sick days or unpaid days off as I did not have vacation time to use. Another alternative is to try and schedule them either early in the day or later in the afternoon - that way you won't need a full-day off to attend the interviews.
That's true. They did say they were flexible if we need a few hours for a doctors appointment or something. I just don't want to say "Hey!! I'm going to an interview!!!" lol

Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 AM

38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Quote:
That's true. They did say they were flexible if we need a few hours for a doctors appointment or something. I just don't want to say "Hey!! I'm going to an interview!!!" lol
For obvious reasons, you don't want to disclose that you are going on a job interview. You can just say you have an appointment or have errands to run if they need to know why you need the time off.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
I've found that overall, if an employer is really interested in you they will understand the situation and agree to meet you early, after work, or during lunch.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,234,907 times
I've scheduled interviews before or after work or arranged to take a long lunch, claiming a doctor's appointment and taking an hour of personal time to do it.

I was also careful not to give myself away with my attire--a suit jacket would have been dead giveaway in my job. so I would carefully fold it up and put it in my shoulder bag when I was at my current job.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
This is why it's so important not to take just any job because you don't want to be trying to go on interviews during the first 3 to 6 months. You will have to schedule any interview after work because it doesn't look good to leave early or take time off more than once in the first 90 days.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This is why it's so important not to take just any job because you don't want to be trying to go on interviews during the first 3 to 6 months. You will have to schedule any interview after work because it doesn't look good to leave early or take time off more than once in the first 90 days.
I didnt want to just take any job but I was kind of backed into a corner. Lose my house or take any job. I tried for 6 months to get a job in an acceptable pay range but my unemployment ran out and I don't qualify for an extension because our wonderful government still hasn't gotten in together.
So instead of an example of why you shouldn't take any job, my stitution is an example of why our government sucks. lol

Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I was also careful not to give myself away with my attire--a suit jacket would have been dead giveaway in my job. so I would carefully fold it up and put it in my shoulder bag when I was at my current job.
That is a good point!! This job is very causal. Jeans and t-shirt. I will bring my clothes and go change at a gas station or something. Thanks!!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
I didnt want to just take any job but I was kind of backed into a corner. Lose my house or take any job. I tried for 6 months to get a job in an acceptable pay range but my unemployment ran out and I don't qualify for an extension because our wonderful government still hasn't gotten in together.
So instead of an example of why you shouldn't take any job, my stitution is an example of why our government sucks. lol

Well try not to focus on job search for the next 6 months so you can stay employed and not have to worry about unemployment checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search