U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,323,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I love stereotypes. Really do. There are idiots in every generation, not only Gen Y. We just have more access to the stupidity of this generation thanks to the internet.

And if you really think that Gen Y is so disappointing, maybe you should take a look at who was responsible for educating and raising them. Hmmm. Perhaps being brought up in a household where little Johnny was the center of attention for 18 years and was provided for financially all the way through college by mommy and daddy may have left him feeling a bit entitled. But is that his fault or the fault of his idiotic parents who never made him work for anything? Maybe the fault of the schools/government who allow kids to fail classes but still graduate? I could on and on, but you get the point.

No one can really think that being a college graduate automatically makes a person intelligent, right? Let's be serious. Unless someone is going to a top 10 school, the classes are no more difficult than high school. At least that's been my observation. As long as a person has money and parents willing to bail them out, they don't find the need to be intelligent. It's sad and scary, but unfortunately true.

Thanks for the links to those websites; they're hysterical.
I generally agree with your post, however, one thing that needs to be kept in mind is that these applicants are applying for a position that requires a basic -and accurate- understanding of word usage, sentence structure, and syntax. The cover letter gives the HR department a first glimpse of who you are. If you can't get that correct, your entire resume is going straight to the trash. I read through the quotes in the link, and some are horrendous, but I get the impression that others were simply trying to impress the reader by being artsy, hip, or creative. Ironically, the best cover letters are the ones that are written in the simplest terms and show that you, at the very least, have done some research into the company. Three-dollar words are nice, but they can make the writer look ignorant when improperly used.

But hey, there are plenty of Gen Xers and Baby Boomers who can't write a decent cover letter, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Spell checker won't catch all errors so it is critical that a person proofreads after running spell check to ensure that they used the correct words, etc...

Too or to or two
Their or there
One or won
Hair or hare
Hear or here
Dear or deer
Bare or bear
It's or its
Where or wear
New or knew
Know or no

And so on ....
A spell checker won't catch such mistakes, but I find that Word does a decent job of catching improper word usage and odd sentence structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Hey - another thread about old people complaining about how lazy a younger generation is.

There is as much hope for GenY as any other generation. Older people will always complain about those younger than themselves.
Does this, or will this, include yourself? I firmly believe that the older a person gets, the easier it is for them forget what it was like when they were young. I see 18 and 19 year old kids texting in class or looking at Facebook (usually playing Farmville ) instead of taking notes or paying attention to the lecture. I shake my head at such things, these kids have no attention span, can't go two minutes without looking at their phones, what is wrong with this generation, etc. But then I check myself; aside from the technology, my friends and I did the same things in class when we were that age. Instead of texting, we passed notes. Instead of Facebook and laptops, we looked at magazines. And of course, we tried to be as sneaky about it as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,760,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Does this, or will this, include yourself? I firmly believe that the older a person gets, the easier it is for them forget what it was like when they were young. I see 18 and 19 year old kids texting in class or looking at Facebook (usually playing Farmville ) instead of taking notes or paying attention to the lecture. I shake my head at such things, these kids have no attention span, can't go two minutes without looking at their phones, what is wrong with this generation, etc. But then I check myself; aside from the technology, my friends and I did the same things in class when we were that age. Instead of texting, we passed notes. Instead of Facebook and laptops, we looked at magazines. And of course, we tried to be as sneaky about it as possible.
Yep. And funny how when things like Farmville have come up on news stories, it's middle-aged people they show playing them...

Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,421,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am only 24...so this is not me (yet). It is something I know I will have to keep in mind the older I get.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,569,908 times
I've seen a resume once where the applicant listed his hobbies. They were as follows:

- Chess
- Computers
- Photography
- XBox 360
- Smoking weed

I am not kidding either.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the majority of the boomer's children are at this point into their 30's and even 40's. The baby boom was from 1946 and 1964.

There are very few children of boomers who are recent graduates, let alone still teens. Just looking at the dates and the statistics, the majority of baby boomers are grandparents at this point. For the most part it's the first generation offspring of the boomers as well as the "post-boomers" who are the ones producing the slackers you are talking about.
The boomers were the beginning of people having kids later, from 25 years and up. 40 year olds (Gen X, 1965 - 1980ish) are generally the kids of the smaller, silent generation, those too young to go to war in WWII. The oldest Gen X's are 45, not many are the parents of the 27 year old Y's out in the workforce today.
The oldest Boomers had kids in the early '70's and up to the early '80's, generally known as Generation Jones. Older boomers, from the mid '50's onwards are pretty much the parents of the mainstream Gen Y. I don't agree with Y extending up to 2000 as there is little in common between todays 10 year olds (the kids of X's) and a 27 year old. Time will tell of course.

Silent was a smaller generation, giving birth to another small gen (X). The boomers was a large number and Y a large number due to them being the offspring of the large boom.

Example - I was born in 1968 (X), my parents in the late '30's (Silent). My kids were born after 2000(Z). I've found I'm pretty typical in terms of my generation.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is as much hope for GenY as any other generation. Older people will always complain about those younger than themselves.
There's no "hope" for any generation. They all have some stinkers and some greats. The arrogance is in assuming that any one group has the answers or is suddenly going to make the world wonderful. I wish it would happen, but we seem to have wasted millennia thinking that this generation or that would cure the worlds ills.

Perhaps a good start would be a little humility and the admittance that if anything is going to make things great it'll take a great deal of sweat and tears not wishful thinking.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,317,313 times
I remember when I was first applying, I realized after submitting about 5 cover letters that I had about 5 French words. My spell checker was still set to French (I am from Quebec originally, and still write in French often), so I wrote futur, instead of future, and a couple other very embarrassing mistakes!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 PM

12,295 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Another way they exclude themselves from jobs is questionable email addresses. Would "bongmaster@wasted.com" have a chance at getting a callback?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 PM

12,011 posts, read 16,758,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the majority of the boomer's children are at this point into their 30's and even 40's. The baby boom was from 1946 and 1964.

There are very few children of boomers who are recent graduates, let alone still teens. Just looking at the dates and the statistics, the majority of baby boomers are grandparents at this point. For the most part it's the first generation offspring of the boomers as well as the "post-boomers" who are the ones producing the slackers you are talking about.
I just graduated from college and my parents are boomers and I was only born when they were in their late 20s. Most of my friends who also graduated have parents of a similar age or older.

The latest of the boomers would have teenagers if they waited until their late 20s or early 30s to have kids.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Another way they exclude themselves from jobs is questionable email addresses. Would "bongmaster@wasted.com" have a chance at getting a callback?
Or hotmama@hotmail.com or sexystevie@gmail.com

With the availability of free email accounts, there is no reason why anyone should not have an email address that's appropriate for applying to jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search