U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,910 times

Advertisements

I just posted a Craigslist critique of employers offering 10. an hour (what I paid my guys twenty years ago) and got eight resumes submitted out of ten comments. That means that everyone on this page is ahead of 80% of the general population! You're all geniuses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I just graduated from college and my parents are boomers and I was only born when they were in their late 20s. Most of my friends who also graduated have parents of a similar age or older.

The latest of the boomers would have teenagers if they waited until their late 20s or early 30s to have kids.
Like I said, THE MAJORITY!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,424,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
There's no "hope" for any generation. They all have some stinkers and some greats. The arrogance is in assuming that any one group has the answers or is suddenly going to make the world wonderful. I wish it would happen, but we seem to have wasted millennia thinking that this generation or that would cure the worlds ills.

Perhaps a good start would be a little humility and the admittance that if anything is going to make things great it'll take a great deal of sweat and tears not wishful thinking.
A little bitter, are we?

Gen Y has as much hope as any other generation. I think you knew what I meant.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,240,706 times
The sad thing is these people actually think they are creative and amazing with words (well yeah, amazing but not in a good way). And they're applying at an Advertising Agency!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,327,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Another way they exclude themselves from jobs is questionable email addresses. Would "bongmaster@wasted.com" have a chance at getting a callback?
An email address such as this would seem to be more common with Gen Xers, particularly those on the younger side of Gen X.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM

848 posts, read 1,680,005 times
Quote:
For those of us in need of a laugh:

Cover Letters From Hell | Killian Branding

I also have a degree English which serves me well in editing text for poor grammer or typos.
I'm short of breath from laughing. This is the one to blame:

Im looking for work because even though my company was profitable last year, this year they are expecting a large defecate.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
An email address such as this would seem to be more common with Gen Xers, particularly those on the younger side of Gen X.
I used to get all sorts of doozies at my last job. This one hasn't been as bad--most of the "non-professional" ones have been for skilled blue collar positions, and the addresses almost always reference something to do with NASCAR.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 AM

2,212 posts, read 6,339,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
A little bitter, are we?

Gen Y has as much hope as any other generation. I think you knew what I meant.
Bitter about what?

If you read old magazines/papers from 40/60/ even 100 years ago, you'll find articles about the great "hope" of the next generation, how they are fresh and wonderful and going to change the world.

It's a fact of life - part of the endless cycle.

Unfortunately it's a condition of youth to believe their own good press. The boomers are still talking about the '60's for heavens sake and have never gotten over believing they were going to make the world a wonderful place.

Like I said, each generation has its stinkers and its greats.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,424,065 times
Quote:
Bitter about what?

If you read old magazines/papers from 40/60/ even 100 years ago, you'll find articles about the great "hope" of the next generation, how they are fresh and wonderful and going to change the world.

It's a fact of life - part of the endless cycle.

Unfortunately it's a condition of youth to believe their own good press. The boomers are still talking about the '60's for heavens sake and have never gotten over believing they were going to make the world a wonderful place.

Like I said, each generation has its stinkers and its greats.
Did you read what I wrote at all??

I never said GenY was going to be the collective savior of mankind. I said it had as much hope as any other generation.

Again - actually read next time!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,276,084 times
Please do not pass judgment on our generation that quickly. I am 22 years old and have been working ever since I have been legal to work. I was 15 when I landed my first job at Burger King (yeah, yeah. I know...)

I went to high school Monday-Friday and then worked 11-7 or 12-8 Saturday and Sunday. I graduated high school and kept on working there while I went to college. I worked for four years until finally I decided it was time to move on. I got a job at Target. I worked at Target for roughly a year while going to school and had a seasonal job at Bath and Body Works too. I was working 2 jobs and going to college full time.

Now I work at Best Buy (roughly 25-30 hours a week) and go to University full time (which is harder than college).My managers say I am very good and responsible. Even when I am sick or not feeling well, I go to work and do my job. The ONLY time I called off was when my grandfather passed away and I am sure we all can agree that is a damn good reason to call off. I never come back late from lunch and I am hardly ever late. There are adults (previous generation) who work at Best Buy (and I knew at Burger King and Target) who take 10 extra minutes to get back from lunch or who come in late every day. As a result, I am getting more hours and they ***** and moan about how they are losing hours.

I know that the OP has clarified that she doesn't mean all the younger generation is like this but I felt compelled to share my story. I always make sure I type properly and talk without slang when at work or school. It pays off because even in this economy, I don't have that much of a hard time finding a job even if it is just a retail job. The truth is that I enjoy my job at Best Buy very much and I truly feel appreciated by my managers so I do my best. Even if I didn't enjoy it, I would do my best. Trust me, Burger King became a drag but I still did my best. If I went back now for a job, they would take me back and I have no doubt about it.

All these things about the younger generation being irresponsible and/or lazy is just insane. There are lazy people everywhere. Not just the younger generation. Sorry for the rant but I am sick of it. I work hard and go to school. I maintain a 3.5 GPA at the University of Michigan (Dearborn). I am not lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search