U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM

358 posts, read 949,093 times

Advertisements

Some of these stories are just pitiful to read. Professionalism and common sense are still valued, with good reason too. Who would want to hire someone who doesn't know how to be a responsible and sensible employee? No one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 PM

10,034 posts, read 11,982,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Chewing gum signifies that the candidate is bored and does not give a darn as to how he or she is being received by the interviewer. If you are currently looking for work and chew gum during interviews, you may wish to read up on interview tips as gum chewing is definitely a no-no.

Also, it affects your speech. Any hindrances to the interviewer understanding you should be avoided if possible.
Great Advice I have heard this all my life.; Its akin to bringing your 3 kids to interview and letting them crawl around on the floor.

Hire a babysitter. Beg your sister. Anything but bringing them...

Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,318,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Was his name TVSG?
LOL, get outta my head.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,028,155 times
I'm the one that actually ran an employment ad that said: Bring your dog! And people did, but the one who blew it related better to her dog than people! The ones I hired brought their dogs for safety........sort of. (24 hour place and they were on their own; I couldn't count on security)

Gum? Big no no. It says, me first and mind if I smoke as well? And by the way, I don't pick up doggy do. And I don't do weekends. And my daughter has softball on Wednesday. Would you just send a check home and I don't have to come in to work at all? I've lived and gotten away with this for my first forty years, so why can't I pull it off now?

You may figure out that of the eighty resumes, I hired on the basis of their sense of humour, since it was an entry level position and 79/80 resumes were so bad they ALL went into the trash. I had to use some common denominator. The Rotty and the Pitbull got hired and happened to bring an employee with them.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 PM

43 posts, read 100,140 times
I never was a hr manager but I did see and hear abour some stupid people getting interviewed. I used to work at a warehouse that pretty much hired anyone with two arms and two legs as long as they dressed ok and acted appropriately in the interview. Still, some people couldnt meet those simple requirements. We even had to put up a sign saying " If your not wearing atleast business casual attire you will not be interviewed."

There was one lady who brought her infant to the interview. The person conducting the interview was trying to talk to her but the baby wouldnt stop crying. She had to constantly stop the interviewer and tend her to crying baby.

Another guy showed up in shorts and with his mcdonalds he bought for lunch. He pulled it out and was eating it while the interview was going on.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 PM

83 posts, read 163,134 times
Sometimes chewing gum is just chewing gum.

Really, some of you are absurd.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,203,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post

It is rude to talk to someone with gum or anything in your mouth. If you are currently looking for work, it would be wise to leave the gum alone during the interview if you want to be taken seriously as a candidate.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,500,884 times
Well, it may be absurd.

But, the point is, you want to put your best foot forward, as it is the first (and probably last) impression you will make to them. You want to separate yourself from the pack, and in a good way.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:30 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,852,497 times
Quote:

It shows the person lacks basic common sense. 99% of people understand you don't chew gum during an interview. Just like you don't wear shorts and you don't bring in your dog. If the person is so clueless that they can't follow these very simple well known rules why on earth would anyone want to hire them?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Quote:

Just like cows chewing their cud is like cows chewing their cud. I find gum chewing as revolting as cigarettes, without the smell.

Anyone who interviewed with me with gum in their mouth wouldn't get more than a few minutes of my time before I ended the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search