Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM

10,802 posts, read 14,861,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
Sorry, I can't see how chewing gum is at all disrespectful.

This is the type of stuff I'm talking about. How can such petty things stop someone from getting a job? I don't understand it, its stupid.
"Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop...." goes the gum as the ratchet jaw feverishly works in a non stop fever pitch..... I couldn't stand it and I like to think I can stand a lot.

I would have to wonder "are you paying attention to a word I am saying?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,943,999 times
Quote:

This is the type of stuff I'm talking about. How can such petty things stop someone from getting a job? I don't understand it, its stupid.
Chewing gum signifies that the candidate is bored and does not give a darn as to how he or she is being received by the interviewer. If you are currently looking for work and chew gum during interviews, you may wish to read up on interview tips as gum chewing is definitely a no-no.

Also, it affects your speech. Any hindrances to the interviewer understanding you should be avoided if possible.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Quote:
Why?

I really don't understand some people on here. This isn't even an attack on you, just in general there are so many HR people on here who don't hire people based on things that have nothing to do with the job on hand.

I've seen someone on here throw away someone because they were chewing gum during the interview.
It's called common sense. If you can't show that during an interview when people tend to be on their best behavior than they probably aren't going to show any as an employee.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,365,994 times
Quote:

Because it's unprofessional. If your boss asked you to wear a suit to work would you refuse because it's not necessary to do your job?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
Quote:
Would I bring a dog? No way.

Would I not hire someone just because of the fact that they did? No. I'd still give them a fair interview.
I wouldn't hire anyone who was presumptuous enough to think it was acceptable to bring a dog to an interview. That shows a complete disregard for the potential that the interviewer has allergies or the building the office is located in is "dog free."

Either that or it shows they are just flat out nuts.

I have two dogs, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to think that everyone enjoys their company as much as I do, and I definitely wouldn't be obnoxious enough to bring them anywhere they weren't specifically invited to go.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,802,779 times
Unless you're Paris Hilton LMAO

Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Unless you're Paris Hilton LMAO
Yeah ... Well I would not hire her for reasons beyond taking a doggie to an interview

Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... Well I would not hire her for reasons beyond taking a doggie to an interview
I would hire her in a second. You can't buy publicity like that.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would hire her in a second. You can't buy publicity like that.
It depends upon the industry and type of business... For some businesses, that type of publicity is not welcomed.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,708,569 times
I have always been shocked, in my neighborhood (suburban Buffalo) people bring dogs to the bank, the drug store, the pizza shop, even the grocery store. In my opinion it's incredibly rude to bring your non seeing eye dog into an enclosed public place.

I've never interviewed, but at the bank once a guy came in for a second interview and my boss came around to introduce this guy, so he was essentially in. Then he goes up to a teller trying to say hi, and she was busy. He literally starts tapping her shoulder and says, "yoo-hoo, you know that I'm going to be your assistant manager, it would probably be in your best interest to start off well."
This guy was literally told he had the job, and blew it right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search