U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,166,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I almost always send my resume in PDF format.

PDFs offer more certainty. I don't have to worry about what version of the software the recipient has, or their default software or printer settings that might alter my formatting. PDFs are also compressed by definition, which makes the files smaller, and I use the 'reduce file size' feature to compress further, if necessary.

I also have my resume in an alternate 'scannable' format, for use when uploading to a website or sending to a company that might use scanning software.

If the company or job board has specific instructions about file format, I always follow their instructions.
I have Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0 ... How can I compress the size of a PDF file I created of my transcripts. They are required for most of the online applications but some have a file size limit. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,438,987 times
Quote:
I also have my resume in an alternate 'scannable' format, for use when uploading to a website or sending to a company that might use scanning software.

PDF should be as scannable as word.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, one ad on Craigslist advertised a job and said submit a pdf resume but I couldn't and I sent an MS Word resume. Not everyone can have or afford Adobe Acrobat.

Now I will send pdf resumes to Craigslist ads because Craigslist has a 150kb limit for resumes.
There are free alternatives to Acrobat.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,237,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
PDF should be as scannable as word.
I didn't mean 'scannable' as a comparison of word and PDF. I meant scannable as in, lacking bullet points, underlines, bolds, tabs, lines, italics, alignment, et cetera, that my 'regular' resume has which would prevent scanning software from picking up all of the words in my resume. I have my scannable resume in both DOC and PDF formats and will use whichever one is required by the website.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean 'scannable' as a comparison of word and PDF. I meant scannable as in, lacking bullet points, underlines, bolds, tabs, lines, italics, alignment, et cetera, that my 'regular' resume has which would prevent scanning software from picking up all of the words in my resume. I have my scannable resume in both DOC and PDF formats and will use whichever one is required by the website.

Oh okay.. My fault. Makes sense.

If you upload a scannable version... and you get called in for an interview... Do you take your formatted version or scannable version with you? Do they care if they look different?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, one ad on Craigslist advertised a job and said submit a pdf resume but I couldn't and I sent an MS Word resume. Not everyone can have or afford Adobe Acrobat.

Now I will send pdf resumes to Craigslist ads because Craigslist has a 150kb limit for resumes.
There are free alternates. There are friends who have jobs and have Acrobat at work and would probably convert your DOC format resume into a PDF if you asked. There are internet cafes.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,845,700 times
It depends on what is requested, most of the jobs I've applied to require MS Word Docs

Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I have Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0 ... How can I compress the size of a PDF file I created of my transcripts. They are required for most of the online applications but some have a file size limit. Thank you.
In Acrobat 7, I believe the tool is under the 'File' pull-down menu. Below 'save' and 'save as' you should see 'Reduce File Size'. If its not there, look under the 'Document' pull down menu.

I have a more recent version, so I'm not 100% certain where it is under old versions.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,166,672 times
Quote:
In Acrobat 7, I believe the tool is under the 'File' pull-down menu. Below 'save' and 'save as' you should see 'Reduce File Size'. If its not there, look under the 'Document' pull down menu.

I have a more recent version, so I'm not 100% certain where it is under old versions.
Thanks for the info. My version did not give me the option of saving it as a compressed or reduced-size PDF. Guess that might be a feature in the newer version which I will just have to go without.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,486,552 times
They way I use it at work, Adobe PDF shows up in my Printer listing.

I click File.. Print.. Change the Printer to Adobe PDF..
It will pop up a Box that says what to name it.. etc.. this is effect "saves" it, and makes a PDF that you can send out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search