U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,665 times

Advertisements

I always send resumes electronically in PDF format. That way, you don't have to worry about formatting problems if the employer is using a different copy of MS Word or some other word processor that does not accurately portray the formatting as you intend it to be.

If you can't afford Acrobat, download Open Office Writer for free. Create your resume in ODT format, go to "File" and then select Export as PDF". Save the document as a different title. Then you will have a copy to edit as needed in ODT format. Then just "re-export as PDF" again, as you make changes and save as the prior title used for the PDF file in order to override the prior PDF file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 9,956 times
I use CutePDF. Works well.
I have used DOC files (NOT Docx), TXT (for cut and paste), and PDF versions of my resume.
Remember to change ALL three versions every time you make a resume change, assuming you need all three every time you make changes.
I DO notice that some websites HATE cut and paste from Word. Really messes up bullets, etc.
-----
Does anyone know when scanned does PDF and DOC provide the same "keyword" summary to HR?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,317,313 times
Quote:
Does anyone know when scanned does PDF and DOC provide the same "keyword" summary to HR?
I assume that the software simply looks at each individual word or phrase, and that this can be extracted from either format.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,304,713 times
I typically send mine in PDF unless they won't accept it that way. My resume has color graphics and is formatted best in PDF.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM

423 posts, read 719,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I typically send mine in PDF unless they won't accept it that way. My resume has color graphics and is formatted best in PDF.
Same here. I was surprised by how many Job Searching websites only accept resumes in .doc format which sucks, because after uploading it, it screws up all the neat formatting I have on my resume.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 916 times
Dear sir,
Please Give me IT Resume format by mail.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM

455 posts, read 763,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, one ad on Craigslist advertised a job and said submit a pdf resume but I couldn't and I sent an MS Word resume. Not everyone can have or afford Adobe Acrobat.

Now I will send pdf resumes to Craigslist ads because Craigslist has a 150kb limit for resumes.
Word has the ability to save as .pdf, and also to optimize it for size.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM

4,228 posts, read 6,159,117 times
Most recruiting organizations need your resume in word format in order to break it down and enter it into their ATS/VMS system. May seem like a good idea initially to submit as a PDF, however if you dont get selected for a particular job, that recruiting org cant place your resume in the system for future use or to be matched with other open/future opportunities. This severely limits your pool of potential open positions.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,910,907 times
PDF are nice because what you see is what they'll see, the format won't change. But, PDFs can be finicky on some computers for whatever reason, and copying and pasting info from your PDF resume might be difficult some hiring managers.

Sending both DOC and PDF together isn't a bad idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search