U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That's good, and good luck with the F2F

I wonder why 3 seems to be the "magic number" for references? I've never been asked for 2 or 4 , always 3 LOL
Thanks. I am confident, and hopeful. I really would like the job. I have a good job now, but, there is very little opportunity for growth, so I am seeming something with more upward mobility.

Good question there too. Who knows?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,157,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Funny you should mention that. A recent CL ad demanded resume, availability and references with a candidate's initial response. Ridiculous.
A lot of positions I've applied for required the references with the application. These were the instructions from the actual organization's site. In any rate, I'd be leery about giving all this information to a CL listing unless you know for a fact that the company's legit. Try submitting this info directly to the employer versus the job site.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 AM

861 posts, read 1,751,281 times
Just give three professional references of people you know will vouch for you for sure.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM

275 posts, read 657,085 times
When dealing with recruiters that requirement may indicate that they just trying to collect info on potential clients, whom they will try to sell their business. I was contacted today by recruiter, who asked for 3 references BEFORE any kind of contact, neither phone interview nor f2f...
Nope, no references.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,642,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Also do NOT supply references until you have an interview. Never send references with your initial resume response to a position.
I've had a lot of recruiters insist on checking my references before submitting my resume to their client. The client expects the recruiter do this in order to vet the applicant. But I would never give my references if the recruiter wasn't submitting me.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 AM

6,611 posts, read 11,294,908 times
Giving references to a recruiter/agency is different, as I assume you've had a F2F with them before they submit you anyway. Part of what employers pay an agency for is for them to do the reference checking, skills testing etc so they don't have to. I wouldn't give out my references even to a recruiter on the basis of a blind phone call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or